Author Topic: A 300 near Cambridge?  (Read 2560 times)

A 300 near Cambridge?
« on: 25 July, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »
Being a noob at all this, I am struggling. I am looking for a 300km within easy reach (riding/train) of Cambridge. I have a pass for the week of the Aug 16th. I was hoping to find the Mildenhall 300 route online, but no joy (should I enter and DNS to get the route?). I've also tried finding something on the AUK perms list, but I'm struggling to find enough detail to work out what is feasible (not a member yet; joining in September). Obviously, company welcome (will post in the thread when I've worked out what I am doing).

Thanks

Chris S

Re: A 300 near Cambridge?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »
Clearly a job for a DIY, surely?

I have a route that passes near (Chatteris->Ely->Brandon is one section of it) Cambridge that could be modified to suit your needs.

Do some research on DIYs, including some searches of YACF, and see if that kind of ride will suit.

TBH, deliberately entering and then DNS'ing a ride is probably not "in the true spirit" of Audax, and has a similar taste in the mouth to riding the route on the day of an event, without actually entering it.

There are quite a few DIY regulars in East Anglia - we'd be happy to pass on any pearls of wisdom we may have - and may well ride out with you if we can  :thumbsup:.

Uncle Eric

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2010, 05:47:10 pm »
Being a noob at all this, I am struggling. I am looking for a 300km within easy reach (riding/train) of Cambridge. I have a pass for the week of the Aug 16th. I was hoping to find the Mildenhall 300 route online, but no joy (should I enter and DNS to get the route?). I've also tried finding something on the AUK perms list, but I'm struggling to find enough detail to work out what is feasible (not a member yet; joining in September). Obviously, company welcome (will post in the thread when I've worked out what I am doing).

Thanks

Taking the Mildenhall route as-is and DIY it might not work directly anyway - last year's route had three info controls. Those are not allowed on DIYs.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »
Given the Mildenhall 300 is a couple of weeks after your planned date why not enter the event if you are availablle. Its a great day out with lots of company on tap. If you are not available then give the Orgs a ring and offer to test ride the route. You may not get credited with the Brevet but what the heck (I cannot remember what the time limit for helpers rides is off hand).

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:48:53 pm »
Given the Mildenhall 300 is a couple of weeks after your planned date why not enter the event if you are availablle. Its a great day out with lots of company on tap. If you are not available then give the Orgs a ring and offer to test ride the route. You may not get credited with the Brevet but what the heck (I cannot remember what the time limit for helpers rides is of hand).

Not available. Availability is very limited due to young family. Idea of offering to test is brilliant, albeit, I'd be looking to start in Cambridge (poss problem for checking out availability of facilities?). I shall contact the organiser.

@UncleEric I am not an AUK member yet, so controls / validation / points not an issue. I don't know the area round here, and assume that orgs will have chosen the most scenic routes. JJs End of Hibernation was brilliant for me in this respect. Next year I'll be after points, I guess.

@ChrisS Will look into DIYs, and thanks for the headsup re how DNS are seen. Will certainly bug you re the possibility of company. Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:30:29 am »
There are loads of 200's in and around Cambridge, Essex, Herts (I live in Bishops Stortford, I think I have done a dozen or s0 200's locally) that can pretty easily be turned into 300's on a DIY basis but as far as I know the only local 300 is Mildenhall..

iakobski

« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:47:02 am »
Have a look at the Mesh planner on the AUK website (under Perms/Diy). Cambridge is on the mesh, some legs have suggested turn by turn routes, for the legs that don't, post them there after you've ridden.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
When Simon returns/wakes up from his jaunt in Wales I'm sure he has some routes that would fit the bill.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:37:10 pm »
When Simon returns/wakes up from his jaunt in Wales I'm sure he has some routes that would fit the bill.

I have a couple of diy 300 routes starting from cherry Hinton, yes.

« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2010, 09:33:17 am »
Have a look at the Mesh planner on the AUK website (under Perms/Diy). Cambridge is on the mesh, some legs have suggested turn by turn routes, for the legs that don't, post them there after you've ridden.

Just to make sure I am using this correctly, the mesh gives you town to town distances that have been checked, so you use it to go from, say atm to atm, certain you'll have the distance at the end of it, right?

« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2010, 09:59:24 am »
I think it's best to use the "shortest" distances as given by Autoroute or similar. Never been quite sure about this, as the Mesh Planner does give some of the leg distances as "verified".

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 31 July, 2010, 10:15:02 am »
Just to make sure I am using this correctly, the mesh gives you town to town distances that have been checked, so you use it to go from, say atm to atm, certain you'll have the distance at the end of it, right?

Correct. Note that a Mesh ride is different to a DIY ride - and depending on where you live, might be administered by different people.

Mesh/DIY rides have evolved over the years, and things that evolve tend to become a bit of a buggers muddle (just look at humans...  :)); the Mesh/DIY system is the same, as illustrated in this thread:

AUK mesh /DIY planner

I've not used the Mesh for a long time. I have a tried and tested method for DIYs that I use. I'm happy to share that here, if that would help.

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2010, 10:51:12 am »

Thanks Chris - I'd somehow missed that thread altogether!

And it does seem that I haven't been too far adrift with:
I think it's best to use the "shortest" distances as given by Autoroute or similar.
especially if being careful with exact Control locations when it matters.

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
It looks like I'll get to do the Mildenhall 300 after all. Went and looked at a car today (been doing without a car since April), which makes it possible, and for some reason, my missus bought a copy of C+ at the shops, and picked out the 300 and said I should do it.