Author Topic: The need for speed  (Read 8582 times)

Treewheeler

Re: The need for speed
« Reply #25 on: 16 April, 2008, 05:26:51 pm »
Ah... speed... :evil:
 The late John Jennings of Willesden C.C and I hit 70mph on a twin lateral tandem according to his Avocet computer of the day.
 This was somehere in the Chilterns on the route of the Windsor Chester 600km.
 I may add that the Jennings was no master at setting up anything so there is likely to be a margin of error...
 In road races I never got above 48mph unless in bunch when 55+ was broken.
The tandem regularly hit 60mph down the Trundle at Goodwood.
 The trike never more than 48mph.
Now Fish Hill coming off the Cotswolds... that would be a belter!

rr

« Reply #26 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:13:17 am »
I grew up in Malvern so I did some really stupid speeds, this was before computers so I don't have any figures, but I only braked when I couldn't see for the tears streaming from my eyes. This was my route to school where even an immortal teenager would brake for the bend under the railway.

I ended up in causalty after braking too late for this bend in the rain while racing friends at half term.

When I was training for alpine climbing I used to ride flat out down these hills to develope my nerve.

My record with a computer is 46mph on a cheap mountain bike with Knobby tyres in the peak distrinct, I also used to exceed 40 mph on this hill on my commute.

Since moving to Essex I struggle to exceed 30mph, except once when I had to apply the bakes a 30 with mini on the back of the tamdem. I must get over to Little Baddow now they've resurfaced the road.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #27 on: 17 April, 2008, 05:47:25 pm »
I managed to get 60mph on the road past Bristol airport (A38?) if my computer was correct, and the next day it read 65mph somewhere on the A30 going past Oakhampton.
The look on the face of old fella towing the caravan was priceless as I pased on the inside with a grin.
This was on a slick tyred mountain bike with panniers while doing JOGLE.

Not managed that speed yet on my recumbent, must be getting scared in my old age.

Rich.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #28 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »
I regularly hit 40mph (64kph) on the commute. If the wind is favourable, this is possible on the 5% grade of the Dronfield bypass into Chesterfield but I usually do it on the 10% gradient of Hangram Lane coming down from Ringinglow unless there is a northerly or easterly blowing.
To date the maximum has been 74kph (46mph) with a very favourable wind.
My best sustained speed on the only flat 2km bit of the commute has been 60kph with a little help from a friendly lorry providing shelter and at the expense of a grovelling slow pace afterward.......

« Reply #29 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:24:41 pm »
Ah... speed... :evil:
  In road races I never got above 48mph unless in bunch when 55+ was broken.
The tandem regularly hit 60mph down the Trundle at Goodwood.
 The trike never more than 48mph.
Now Fish Hill coming off the Cotswolds... that would be a belter!

Fish Hill!
That's a bit technical for those sort of speeds isn't it?
I saw a car crashed in the road there at around 0200 one morning about 6 years ago.
My top recorded speed was 55, descending into Death Valley in California. A long and straight road, so no skill needed.
I've done 50 a few times in England and Wales, but my fixed wheeling prevents me from chasing high speeds.
I clocked 44 descending from the Cross Foxes going eastwards from Dolgellau on the Bryan Chapman on my 86" fixed. I recon a tandem could crack 100kph on that descent, with the aid of a large chainring.
I don't see the logic in worrying about the speed. Once you get over 30mph, I reckon you've pretty much had your chips in a collision and as for gravel rash, 30 mph will do plenty of damage. I only go really fast when I have no doubts that I am safe. There are never any guarentees, but I am not a risk taker. It's a very low risk activity if done sensibly.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #30 on: 17 April, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »
87kph off the Clisham into AirdAshaig (nr Tarbert) a few years ago

not a brilliant pic, but this is the descent

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
My top recorded speed was 55, descending into Death Valley in California. A long and straight road, so no skill needed.

Somewhere near the top of Emigrant Pass.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime