Author Topic: Cycling accident and helping out  (Read 7057 times)

annie

Cycling accident and helping out
« on: 15 April, 2008, 03:06:15 pm »
I decided to treat myself to a little outing to Bury St Edmunds this morning to visit a bookstore, have a coffee and watch the world go by.  On driving out of Needham Market I saw some hi vis jackets in the distance, some cycles on the road and pavement and someone bending over, I pulled over into the layby and stopped to help.  A woman had cycled down the hill and gone to cycle up on the cycle path but had hit the kerb at a funny angle, she had come off, probably at around 20mph and was KO'd.  I only had a basic first aid kit but knew that wouldn't be much good under the circumstances.  I have no problem in dealing with incidents like this and go into auto pilot mode.  One of the local First Responders turned up, I explained that I was a First Responder but had given up last year.  Once I had popped the O2 on she regained some colour and started to answer my questions, I carried out a secondary survey.  The ambulance turned up, I handed over and we tried to get her up and onto the stretcher, by this time she was making little sense and it was obvious she had suffered quite a nasty concussion.  Her helmet was cracked very badly and there was an obvious abrasion on the top of her head.

I agreed to take her and her husband's bike in my car and drop them at one of the other cyclist's house some 10ish miles away.  I left my details and took the bikes as promised.

I was fine at the time but am now going over it in my mind and know I did everything correctly.

Just wanted to write it down and move on really.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Cycling accident and helping out
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:07:35 pm »
Well done you  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:15:20 pm »
Well done, Annie.  I hope she recovers quickly & I bet she's pleased that you were around at that time!

:)

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:18:18 pm »
Good for you. I tried some ill-advised kerb jumping in Feb and ended up dazed with a broken elbow, I was so very grateful to all the people who stopped to help me.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:20:58 pm »
Nice one Annie.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:22:04 pm »
Well done Annie, needless to say stopping and helping was the right thing to do.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:29:19 pm »
...  A woman had cycled down the hill and gone to cycle up on the cycle path but had hit the kerb at a funny angle, she had come off, probably at around 20mph and was KO'd. ...

GGGrrrrrrrrrrr   this makes me SOOOOOOOoooooooo angry.    Just why the hell do they put kerbs across the entrances to cycle paths that they expect people to use?   (And let's leave the cycle path discussion out of this as I recall Stowmarket Road as being a bit busy)

aglet

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »
...  A woman had cycled down the hill and gone to cycle up on the cycle path but had hit the kerb at a funny angle, she had come off, probably at around 20mph and was KO'd. ...

GGGrrrrrrrrrrr   this makes me SOOOOOOOoooooooo angry.    Just why the hell do they put kerbs across the entrances to cycle paths that they expect people to use?   (And let's leave the cycle path discussion out of this as I recall Stowmarket Road as being a bit busy)

Raise an entry on FillThatHole, eg http://fillthathole.org.uk/hazard?id=11480.  II understand that it may make the local authority liable in the event of an accident, as they have a statutory duty to maintain the roads in a safe condition, and a non-dropped kerb across a cycle path is clearly incompatible with that.  They might even get around to fixing it, you never know.

edit I forgot to say well done for helping: well done

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:39:45 pm »
Well, even a dropped kerb can cause your wheel to skid off, if you hit at an angle.

Annie, that was great.  ;D

Hope the woman is ok, and I bet they were relieved that you stopped.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:42:52 pm »
There was a dropped kerb but it was certainly enough to cause an accident if taken at the wrong angle, together with the fact that there was an entrance to a drive just to the side which meant there was a large dip in the pavement, if that makes any sense.  I don't cycle on that path but I do run on it and the majority of cyclists make no attempt to slow down or move out of the way.  However these were experienced CTC riders who just happened to have some very bad luck.  That stretch of road is dangerous, not unusual for cars to reach speeds of 70-80mph so there is often little choice available.  Anyway, that is beside the point in this discussion.  I will let you know how the woman is doing as soon as I hear anything at all.

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:57:36 pm »
There shouldn't even be a dropped kerb >:( >:(   it should be a smooth access  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

You know, it got me soooo angry I forgot to comment on how good it was that Annie stopped to help.

annie

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2008, 04:01:02 pm »
Is it worth me raising the issue of this cycle path with the council?  I ought to take some photos and post them here to see what you think, in a separate thread of course.  I can't quite understand why she would have been getting on at that point as the cycle path ends shortly afterwards?

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:33:54 pm »

well done for stopping and helping :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:46:47 pm »
Top woman! :)
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:58:01 pm »
11th'd on the well done
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:01:40 pm »
well done you :thumbsup:

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:05:43 pm »
Well done, Annie - good thing you were there  :thumbsup:
Advena ego sum in Terra

annie

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »
Gosh, I don't feel worthy of all this praise, I really don't.  It isn't the first time I have stopped at an accident and won't be the last.  I no longer respond but after today I am wondering if I should go back.  I had a call a couple of months ago asking if I would reconsider as I had responded for 2.5 years and had been a valued member of the team.  It would mean less time for cycling on a weekend though.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
Gosh, I don't feel worthy of all this praise, I really don't.  It isn't the first time I have stopped at an accident and won't be the last.  I no longer respond but after today I am wondering if I should go back.  I had a call a couple of months ago asking if I would reconsider as I had responded for 2.5 years and had been a valued member of the team.  It would mean less time for cycling on a weekend though.

Get a big rack & strap your first aid kit on, and then you can combine both.   ;D

Next problem please.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »

Get a big rack & strap your first aid kit on, and then you can combine both.   ;D

Next problem please.

We have a pedalling paramedic in Leeds city centre, always seems a happy chap.

annie

« Reply #20 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »
I have just spoken to the lady involved in the accident. she is ok, she cannot remember a thing but is so grateful for my help, even though she cannot remember me.  Her and her husband have been cycling since 1957 and this is the first time she has had an accident.  I shall speak to her again in a couple of days.  I am over the moon that she is well enough to talk to me.  They thanked me and I said I would keep in touch.

I will sleep well now.

« Reply #21 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:52:49 pm »

I will sleep well now.

And deservedly so
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2008, 12:37:26 am »
It's amazing how fast some of these concussion victims recover.
Both the patient and other witnesses to one Audax incident where I tried to help are on this forum.

This young lad hit the wet rails at Leeming Bar at the wrong angle.  He came off and was out cold for a couple of minutes, after, which he started purposeful movement.

I waited till the ambulance arrived and gave a handover report.

Once he seemed in safe hands, I rode on. The incident was on my mind much of the rest of the ride.

At the end of the Audax I was told he'd been discharged from hospital. I was a little surprised...

« Reply #23 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:05:07 am »
This young lad hit the wet rails at Leeming Bar at the wrong angle.  He came off and was out cold for a couple of minutes, after, which he started purposeful movement.
At the end of the Audax I was told he'd been discharged from hospital. I was a little surprised...

It does seem a little odd, isn't it normal to want anyone whose smacked their head to stay around for a while?  When I had my little off a month or so back, they weren't keen on me going home for 48-72 hours, and I hadn't lost consciousness, although I had certainly hit my head fairly hard, I had ten stitches.  On the other hand, I live by myself, so if I did pass out later on, there would be no one around to notice.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #24 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:54:07 am »
Lack of conciousness after a fall is a scary thing to see.

A riding mate of mine hit a deer at around 50mph - he went airbourne and was knocked out cold for about 20minutes. That was horrible, trying to describe his injuries to the ambulance controller, and wondering what to do.. He was flat on his back in the road. We ended up being told to carefully open his visor, and we took it in turns to hold his tounge until the ambulance came.

Excellent work annie, although you might feel as though you did very little, the effect you had was very significant. Not only for the woman, but her husband too, not to mention all their friends who will hear of how you kept the situation under control. A heart warming story of humans at their best goes an awful long way.

Well done.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart