Author Topic: 6 cyclists a month treated for head injuries in Lothian  (Read 6811 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: 6 cyclists a month treated for head injuries in Lothian
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »
One wonders how many head injuries from other causes..

There is so much about this article that is worrying.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 12:23:37 pm »
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Six-cyclists-suffer-head-injuries.3996959.jp

How depressing.  As for the comments...

How many head injuries per month from car drivers? In fact, how many injuries per month to pedestrians by car drivers?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »
One wonders how many head injuries from other causes..

There is so much about this article that is worrying.

..d

The quality of the reporting in  the Edinburgh papers has been deteriorating steadily for quite a while now.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2008, 12:34:30 pm »
Interesting figures though - kids are over-represented in both the accident total and the head injury total.  They have big heavy heads, do kids, and poor danger-assessment skills compared to us weary adults.  And less fear ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:14:17 pm »
Interesting figures though - kids are over-represented in both the accident total and the head injury total.  They have big heavy heads, do kids, and poor danger-assessment skills compared to us weary adults.  And less fear ;)

And being dragged under a bus is fine, as long as you are wearing some polystyrene...

..d

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:25:10 pm »
The statistics show Lothians roads were the most dangerous in Scotland for cyclists,

hmm

there are those pesky statistics again...

Aren't the Lothians also the bit of Scotland with the greatest number of cyclists/cycle kilometers?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:43:59 pm »
Those goshdarned roads!  Good thing it ain't the drivers.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:45:39 pm »
Those goshdarned roads!  Good thing it ain't the drivers.

Actually, I was talking to a colleague last night who stopped cycling in London because she felt too unsafe.  Shortly afterwards she was (as a pedestrian) hit by a car as she walked over a zebra crossing.  I suggested it might not be inherently dangerous to walk or cycle, but to be in the vicinity of Morons in Motors.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:52:09 pm »
I promised myself I would never post on the comments pages of the Evening News again after a few fruitless attempts to 'educate'. And I've gone and bloody blown it today!

Dave

« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »
Hmm indeed. Not enough information to properly evaluate the risk, but enough to scare people.  ::-)

Official figures show 165 cyclists ended up at hospital after accidents in 2006/07, with 77 of them suffering head injuries.

The casualties included 76 children, 42 of whom had head injuries.

46% overall had an HI, 55% of the kids had an HI. May not be a real significant difference - maybe minor HI to adults are ignored when they wouldn't be for a kid, sample size too small, blah, blah...

Oh and,
"If you are cycling on a busy main road among fast-moving traffic, a helmet is very desirable, but if you're off-road on a cycle path through pleasant surroundings, it is less so. Enforcement would have to cover both situations."

Wrong way round, if you ask me. Off-road more likely to have the low speed impacts helmets are designed to fend off; main road - dragged under a cement lorry? hit up the backside by someone doing 30+? T-boned? Helmet of limited used then, I reckon...

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »
I promised myself I would never post on the comments pages of the Evening News again after a few fruitless attempts to 'educate'. And I've gone and bloody blown it today!

If Mr Roadstohell does take up your offer, would you like a scientist or two to review the work?

..d

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:17:56 pm »

If Mr Roadstohell does take up your offer, would you like a scientist or two to review the work?

..d

Nah, he was never going to take that up - knew that before I typed it.

Nevertheless, managed to get a couple of them to back down a bit. But I need to go back to my 'no posting' rule.

« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:26:22 pm »
The people in that city do indeed appear to be fnckiug jerks. I thought it was OK when I lived there. I doubt I'll go there again, the all hate me. Fnckiug idiots.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:31:09 pm »
The people in that city do indeed appear to be fnckiug jerks. I thought it was OK when I lived there. I doubt I'll go there again, the all hate me. Fnckiug idiots.

Miniature wannabe London in a lot of ways. Love the city really, but I can't see myself living the rest of my life here.

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:36:25 pm »

Miniature wannabe London in a lot of ways. Love the city really, but I can't see myself living the rest of my life here.

I DID want to stay there when my contract expired in 1994, these comments make it sound like a wild west town now. I particularly want to smash the windows of the bloke who said "I've started fighting back against... any cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet and bright jacket while on the road."  Who the hell made him the fashion police ? Trinny or Suzannah ?

I would expect nothing different in any local paper though and I wish I had resisted the temptation to click on Kirsts link.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »

I DID want to stay there when my contract expired in 1994, these comments make it sound like a wild west town now. I particularly want to smash the windows of the bloke who said "I've started fighting back against... any cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet and bright jacket while on the road."

I would expect nothing different in any local paper though and I wish I had resisted the temptation to click on Kirsts link.

It does wind me up, but I can play the 'annoyingly reasonable' chap quite well... People 'expect' a fight.

And in truth people will say things like that on a comments page, I've never actually seen it, and only been shouted at in the town once (the driver covering for his own indiscretion).

« Reply #17 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »
I doubt Edinburgh is any worse than other cities and probably much better than some (London and Manchester spring to mind). I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I've had verbal abuse from drivers in over 15 years regular commuting.

Us Scots love a good moan but generally it's all just hot air. The 'fighting back' guy especially is likely to be some dweeb who would jump 10ft in the air if a dog farted. The internet is a fantastic place to make yourself out to be bigger, more intelligent and more courageous than you actually are in real life™

« Reply #18 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:02:13 pm »
Us Scots love a good moan

No, really ? Seriously though, I agree with you.  ... about the comments, not about the Scots being moaners. Well...

« Reply #19 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:19:46 pm »

They aren't going to be even remotely representative of the city, though. Newspaper site comment sections seem to attract really nasty debate (debate might be a bit generous there) and it can be very depressing reading.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #20 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:26:23 pm »
SpEak You're bRanes

A site dedicated to the very best of 'comment' sections. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2008, 06:12:57 pm »

Edinburgh's fantastic and the people are just like anywhere else, except wearing more layers and carrying inside-out umbrellas. There is a hardcore of fcukwits who regularly post on the EN website and they're not the most enlightened, articulate or well-informed fcukwits. There's nowhere else in the UK I'd rather live, except maybe Newcastle and that's only 'cos the accent gives me the horn.

Maladict

« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »

Edinburgh's fantastic and the people are just like anywhere else, except wearing more layers and carrying inside-out umbrellas. There is a hardcore of fcukwits who regularly post on the EN website and they're not the most enlightened, articulate or well-informed fcukwits. There's nowhere else in the UK I'd rather live, except maybe Newcastle and that's only 'cos the accent gives me the horn.

*pictures Kirst walking down the street in Newcastle, looking just a bit flushed*

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #23 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:36:59 am »
Michael's still taking risks
DESPITE being dragged under a bus for 60 feet and having his skin torn off, 14-year-old Michael Meaney still refuses to wear a helmet when he rides his bike.

The Northfield Drive teen slipped under the seven-ton vehicle on Duddingston Road, but 18 months and several skin grafts later, his mum Angela still can't get him to wear a helmet.

She said: "I've tried taking his bike away but he just rides someone else's.

"I even tried to get him to campaign around schools to show other children the extent of his injuries, but he was having none of it."

Angela added: "He doesn't remember a thing about the accident, which is maybe why he doesn't worry about it."

::-)

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the brave lad knows that wearing a helmet would have made absolutely no difference.

Helmets Hats off to him.

H

« Reply #24 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:40:20 am »

Kirst, you devil, did you know my accent isn't too dissimilar to the Geordie one.

As I have said several times, I lived in Edinburgh for a while at the end of the last century and really liked the place. I did hope to stay there too.

Of course I understand that people who post comments to sites like that are not representative of the place, I said earlier that I'd expect similar comments in every town, even this one where I live. Life for this cyclist is OK here but like Anth, I don't jump red lights or ride on the pavement, most motorists don't remonstrate if I slow them down for 10 second either.

Local papers are a public face of the city though, some people would form their judgement based on the papers and it isn't such a good image to portray.