Author Topic: Family Tree  (Read 1021 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Family Tree
« on: 04 April, 2020, 10:48:37 am »
My last uncle died in November, aged 99. Many years ago he compiled a massive family tree, beginning with an ancestor who was born in 1720. I copied it into an obscure database and then forgot about it. Now I have managed to re-export it as a 50kb indented list, but there will be quite a bit of work before I can get it into a format that I can share with the rest of the family for the next 300 years.
I'm thinking of keeping things simple and making it available as a Google doc so that others can view, print and update it.

Any problems I should know about?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Re: Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2020, 11:07:56 am »
Ideally you should try and save the tree in GEDCOM file format which is commonly used by most/all  the Geneology sites. There is a free GEDCOM reader available from the MS shop in Windows. So you can save,  read off line and then email the GEDCOM file to others which they can then also read off line.  You could prehaps use a free account period on Ancestry or some such?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2020, 12:02:43 pm »
I use the Legacy software (free version) to work on mine, then export to Gedcom for uploading to a Website for sharing.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2020, 12:08:29 pm »
Or try Gramps. It is free, and can import/export in a variety of formats. https://gramps-project.org/

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2020, 10:40:02 pm »
+1 for Gramps. Had started everything off with FTMaker, but Gramps is a bit addictive.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2020, 10:36:25 am »
Gramps looks good, and I'll certainly use it for recording in the future, but I'm halfway through making a readable text now, so I think I'll continue.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
I think if you're looking for reliable long term storage you should think about baked clay tablets. Cuneiform is optional.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου