Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118142 times)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #475 on: 29 November, 2019, 07:57:31 pm »
I have just got home from late(ish) shift commute - Friday is a half shift.

Temperature dropped to -1.6C in Terling (it's always the coldest bit of my commute) according to the Garmin, which to be fair reads low.

I may roll out tomorrow on the spikey tyres, see how chilly it feels before setting off. I also live near enough for a change of bike or wheels - the spikey tyres are rather noisey for a group ride, and a bloody hard work. Also could do a solo route check for the normal route on the spikes whilst those riding on rubber try an Icy option if it's that bad.

As covered by Tonsk, Dancing Dicks Lane is a mudbath following the sugar beet harvest compiegne, although the trucks seem to have moved on to destroying other roads...

« Reply #476 on: 29 November, 2019, 08:36:19 pm »

As covered by Tomsk, Dancing Dicks Lane is a mudbath following the sugar beet harvest compiegne, although the trucks seem to have moved on to destroying other roads...

Also back from a day out.  Dancing Dicks isn't so bad now as most of the mud is on me and my bike :D
However, it has been clear all day, and still very clear tonight and even on top of the hill it just just at freezing.  I'm playing it by ear tomorrow, now wishing to repeat last years frozen road experience.  I'll drop Tomsk a text in teh morning.

Cheers
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #477 on: 29 November, 2019, 09:00:13 pm »
 I'm still planning on being at 'spooons in the morning as long as I can stop drinking beer tonight in good time.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #478 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »
I’ve got a gritted route to Witham, which in the morning heads via Thaxsted, Finchingfield and Braintree. So I might be able to provide a good report at the spoons on conditions.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #479 on: 01 December, 2019, 05:10:42 pm »
Yesterday's route check/helpers' ride went well - 09:30 start; a little frosty stuff about for the first hour, but it had all lifted by mid-morning.

Route sheet and information updated. All updated on AUKweb and also emailed out to riders - currently the start sheet is standing at 68 entries, but I expect that to rise this week, depending on how the forecast goes ...

BFC

« Reply #480 on: 05 December, 2019, 02:19:57 pm »
Update on status of Blunts Hall road, leading onto Dancing Dicks Lane.

Most of the crap has been either washed away or carried away on peoples cars. Surface condition is actually quite good now - it is NCN route 16, so being all tarmac it exceeds my expectation of NCN surface standards.

BFC

« Reply #481 on: 05 December, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
Cancel the last post!

As of tonights commute, planning to do a check on Dancing Dicks, plan changed when I spotted the close encounters light show and a beet truck trundling out of the junction onto Terling Road.

On past evidence avoid using Blunts Hall Road / Dancing Dicks Lane for 1 to 2 weeks depending on weather.
Note that there is also a heap of beet on Terling Road awaiting colection, however this road is a lot wider to avoid the shit and has a lot more traffic volume to clean it up, or just spread it around and carry it away.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #482 on: 05 December, 2019, 07:15:02 pm »
I'll ride in via Dancing Dick's and evaluate the situation on Saturday.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #483 on: 06 December, 2019, 04:58:44 pm »
We did the sub-zero [gritted route] ECE and frosty lanes start last week, so this weekend is just right [by December standards]. Even this evening's rain should have cleaned up some of the roads a bit! Expecting a good turn-out tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #484 on: 08 December, 2019, 08:39:54 am »
Broke my ACME virginity yesterday  :)

Started the ECE in W6 at the crack of sparrows but after the dubious delights of Oxford St Xmas (definitely not Christmas) illuminations it eventually became light between Ilford and Romford. Then the mundane former / actual A12 / A414 to Chelmsford and one nasty fast section before Boreham to arrive at HQ in time for a couple of espresso fortified cappuccinos.

Superb route! quiet flat or gently rolling lanes almost all the way. As Tomsk predicted, an almost unbroken diet of Ryanair 737s at the northern end. Back to the TripAdvisor "Best pub in Essex" for rehydration and some group therapy with my regular ECE patients customers  ;) before the last 14k back to Chelmsford for a class 90 fast back to London.

I just have to have one of those Anvil Grand Slam badges so entry just gone in for the Knights Templar

Thanks Tomsk and all your helpers  :thumbsup:

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #485 on: 09 December, 2019, 09:31:21 am »
Thanks to Tomsk and helpers for an excellent day out - please can we book that weather for every December ride! Thoroughly good company on the road with Elliot and Nick, I was certainly feeling it in my legs yesterday, suggesting that we rode the calendar ride rather briskly... let's say the return leg of my ECE was slightly less aggressively paced  ;D

rob

« Reply #486 on: 09 December, 2019, 11:31:57 am »
Really enjoyable day out.   The lanes weren't as bad as expected and the bike wasn't all that mucky at the end.

There's something to be said for 100s.   Very civilised way to spend a few hours.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #487 on: 09 December, 2019, 12:24:20 pm »
Talking of things of a very civilised nature (thanks for the cue rob) might I take a few moments of your time to mention another Mid-Essex event?  I am of course referring to our annual Epiphany Extravaganza to be held on 4th and 5th January in the year of Our Lord 2020.

The event can be summarised as follows...

Turn up at Witham ‘spoons about 0830 to 0900hrs. After breakfast we ride to a lunchtime venue. After lunch we ride to The Compasses, Littley Green for dinner. After dinner there is the infamous After Party. After the After Party there’s camping. After camping there’s the Brew Off on Sunday morning followed by cook your own breakfast followed by going home. The format has been carefully honed over the years and allows participants to dip in and out of the itinerary as their tastes and other commitments dictate.

Dressing up one’s self and one’s bike is encouraged, a bit of a giggle is guaranteed.

If you click on THIS LINK (refer to post 199 on page eight) you can see more detail and the subsequent posts will keep you informed as the plan unfolds. ted, this year’s organiser, will appreciate you expressing an interest in the luncheon element of the endeavour.

Hope to see you there!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #488 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:40:28 pm »
Yes, excellent day on Saturday, glad I chose the upwrong instead of the repugnant, despite back grumbles it produced.  First half was definitely not suited to lying down on the job, second half was gorgeous by comparison, but absent the helping tailwind I expected. Legs a bit tender today following that and an hour on the turbo yesterday at "brisker than expected".

Also good to meet the usual suspects, and OD, again - memory of a ferret that one!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Oscar's dad

« Reply #489 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »
Also good to meet the usual suspects, and OD, again - memory of a ferret that one!

;D :-*

Martin

« Reply #490 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »
We have used the B1002 lots of times outbound in the morning as an ECE route, but only once or twice inbound as we had a much nicer second leg going across to Harlow and picking up a London train from there. Watch out for Chelmsford, our avoidance route both ways was Galleywood, Great Baddow, Boreham having tried the return along the main road once at end of shopping time (never again)

The A414 was indeed horrible in the morning, will be starting from London Bridge in February which is about 10k shorter so will take that way.

There doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding the short section of A12 between Hatfield Peveril and Witham (not even a cycle path)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #491 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »
There doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding the short section of A12 between Hatfield Peveril and Witham (not even a cycle path)
There is a cycle path on both sides of the A12 between Hatfield Perverel and Witham, or you could use the lane route on this Essex 3R's track from 101km - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31272685
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #492 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:53:32 pm »
We have used the B1002 lots of times outbound in the morning as an ECE route, but only once or twice inbound as we had a much nicer second leg going across to Harlow and picking up a London train from there. Watch out for Chelmsford, our avoidance route both ways was Galleywood, Great Baddow, Boreham having tried the return along the main road once at end of shopping time (never again)

The A414 was indeed horrible in the morning, will be starting from London Bridge in February which is about 10k shorter so will take that way.

I did mention the cycle path a while back but perhaps I am on an ignore list...

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105450.msg2439761#msg2439761

Always happy to help with local info in and around Chelmsford.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Martin

« Reply #493 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:11:10 pm »

No you're not  :) it didn't seem very obvious on the way in although it was on the way back, will look harder next time thanks (and will be going back via the event route to make it up to 200)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #494 on: 11 December, 2019, 06:13:41 pm »

No you're not  :) it didn't seem very obvious on the way in although it was on the way back, will look harder next time thanks (and will be going back via the event route to make it up to 200)

:thumbsup:

If you turn on 'bicycling' layer in Google maps you can see the path on both sides, I prefer the London Bound for return from Witham and the coast bound for the journey towards Witham.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #495 on: 11 December, 2019, 08:28:02 pm »
^^^ Get you!  You’re so sophisticated!  I used the London bound in both directions but then I’m a simple soul!

« Reply #496 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:45:13 am »
With the Stansted Airport Express done, thoughts turn to the "Pearl" of the ACME Anvil Winter Series, the Kelvedon Oyster.

This year, due to the high tide the week before, the ride is a week later than last year.  The upside is that it will allow for a helpers' and route check ride on the 11th.  The ride on the 11th will need to work around the tide but when we did it the first year we just extended lunch on Mersea.

I have also been exploring a few off road sections along the route and I have an as-ridden GPX for those with gravel bikes that fancy the option of a bit less road.  It is a few km longer but shares the same controls so is the same event with a slightly different route.  I will share this with the updated GPX for the standard route which has changed slightly this year with an improved route into Colchester.

There will still be the opportunity to sample an oyster with a hot drink in West Mersea, both included with the entry fee.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #497 on: 30 December, 2019, 10:56:31 pm »
After last year's disastrous effort, I thought I ought to try again, so I've entered :)

I didn't even make the first (Pebmarsh) control. Climbing out of the Colne Valley, I ripped my right pedal out of the crank. I wasn't going to make it round like that, so I limped back towards the start on one leg, waving to the later starters. After only a short distance, I realised that I had also broken the frame on my Brooks saddle.

Here's to better luck this year. I have made it round a couple of times previously...

« Reply #498 on: 13 January, 2020, 10:17:33 am »
Looking forward the Oyster plus my E.C.E. this week. ;D Going to forgo the mollusc treat though, as I've very tragically developed an allergy to them in the past year.

@tedshred I think in previous editions of the ride the Railway Tavern has offered breakfast butties etc. at the start - is this the same this year?

Nim

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #499 on: 13 January, 2020, 11:42:18 am »
Looking forward the Oyster plus my E.C.E. this week. ;D Going to forgo the mollusc treat though, as I've very tragically developed an allergy to them in the past year.

@tedshred I think in previous editions of the ride the Railway Tavern has offered breakfast butties etc. at the start - is this the same this year?

Nim

Yes, scrambled eggs on toast, beans on toast, bacon or sausage butties, tea, coffee were discussed at the end of the route check on Saturday. 

The new route into Colchester is lovely hopefully see you all as you come through Pebmarsh!
Regards,

Joergen