Author Topic: PBP Registration website  (Read 88082 times)

rob

Re: PBP Registration website
« Reply #175 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »
It is now becoming a 2 year investment, although I do ride at least a 600 most years so not a huge issue.   As said above, it just depends how much you want it.

simonp

« Reply #176 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:23:16 pm »
I think it only came in for the 2015 edition.

2011 was a free for all queuing as before.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #177 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:28:06 pm »
The entry situation in 2015 was actually marginal. If they had kept to their announced rider limit, a few folk would have been turned away but they boosted the limit. LEL17 showed how randonneuring has exploded in Asia, emphasised by the number of BRMs being ridden in those countries since the last PBP.

There were country quotas for entering PBP11, based on the number of BRMs ridden in each country in 2010. In actuality, some countries with huge quotas didn't fill them (PBP11 was about the same size as PBP07) and PBP reallocated quotas to allow every entrant to ride.

This PBP was always going to be tight to enter, though I didn't think it would be quite this tight.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #178 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:31:02 pm »
Top tips especially for 300km riders
Create your account now. https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/
You can search for your BRMs

Make sure you know the BRM number

The site allows you to pre-register at 11pm GMT. So be logged on before 11. Enter your BRM number. Press enter as the clock strikes 11.

The registration is easy except for the when you get to Payment of activity.There is a blank window asking for entry number. You have no idea what this is, look for the word back next to the Home icon and click  back (left hand side middle of page)
Your entry number which will look something like  PBP3895 will now appear and you can pay your 30 euros. Apparently using back or logging back in again will do the same.

All the early start times will be full for each time limit so be flexible. You may find a slot becomes free during registration due to a rider dropping out.
Good Luck

« Reply #179 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:51:53 pm »
The entry situation in 2015 was actually marginal. If they had kept to their announced rider limit, a few folk would have been turned away but they boosted the limit.

Right.

There were country quotas for entering PBP11, based on the number of BRMs ridden in each country in 2010. In actuality, some countries with huge quotas didn't fill them (PBP11 was about the same size as PBP07) and PBP reallocated quotas to allow every entrant to ride.

Ah, I remember now, I know there was a lot of talk of number limitation in one form or another in 2011.

This PBP was always going to be tight to enter, though I didn't think it would be quite this tight.

If it's a scramble this year, then 2023 could an even bigger increase in the take up of 1000km rides. Goodness me!

It makes PBP07 [my first] look like something from a whole different era!
Garry Broad

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #180 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:54:07 pm »
It is now becoming a 2 year investment, although I do ride at least a 600 most years so not a huge issue.   As said above, it just depends how much you want it.

Edit: I hope I have not misinterpreted what you are saying, but I don't think it's all to do with "who wanted it enough".

This ignores, at least my experience, of not having known what audax was before august-sept of 2018 (or otherwise all those who recently discovered it, i.e. 'the next generation' as we've been referred to at all the recent audax events I've been to).  All my research and queries were responded to with "never has PBP sold out before, but do a 200".  So with not enough time to do anything more I registered for my first 200 in November 2018.  Then, I created a Reddit account as I discovered it was a great way to communicate with other cyclists.   It was just happenstance that another user saw my comment about doing a 200 in November and quickly deduced that I had not understood the rules correctly and if I wasn't doing the Lancashire Lights 200 in 3 days time I would miss my one and only chance to 'pre-qualify' for PBP.  So I immediately booked a train to Blackpool from London and a B&B for two nights.  I counted myself so fortunate, having achieved the 200 and have since dedicated all my spare time over the last few months to my new hobby in audaxing.  Researching, spending a lot on new equipment, and completing two further events to date in 2019.

To write those off who didn't do a 600 as "not having wanted it enough" is unfair.  We could just as easily say the same about those who only did a 600 but not a 1000.

I otherwise appreciate all the words of advice and recommendations for other events.  It is not 1200km I wanted to do—I have done 9000km across Canada—it was the world's oldest cycling event at a time in my life where I have the availability and the health.  Everything was aligned, I did what I was told to do and then bad luck hit.  It was not that "I just didn't want it enough".

rob

« Reply #181 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:57:52 pm »
I think you selectively quoted me there.   There's an earlier post where I recommended doing your SR anyway as there's a likelihood you'll still get in.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #182 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:59:30 pm »
Riders not able to thus pre-register will have to wait till 20 Jun to register. Because on 20 Jun any of those who have pre-registered but not subsequently (25 May - 19 Jun) registered will 'lose' that precedence and their places (and start time slots) will be up for grabs. Difficult to say how many places that will 'throw up'.
PBP site (version in English): http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=inscription&page=comment_sinscrire
"You will have to convert your preregistration to a final registration before 20 June 2019 at midnight (French time) to preserve your preregistration."
Registration, by whatever route, must be complete with all 4 (200, 300, 400, 600) BRM homolgation numbers provided (et cetera)
by 3 Jul.

This is your only route to get you to PBP19. I hope it works. I've always enjoyed watching riders go from 100km to PBP in a year. It would be a pity if that never happened again.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #183 on: 28 January, 2019, 05:08:36 pm »
Should I have received an email confirming the entry?

I noticed that some others have mentioned this and an attached pdf with some details

Not received anything yet, just wondering if it takes a while to come through

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #184 on: 28 January, 2019, 05:11:36 pm »
Yes and yes but only some minutes.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #185 on: 28 January, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
Should I have received an email confirming the entry?

I noticed that some others have mentioned this and an attached pdf with some details

Not received anything yet, just wondering if it takes a while to come through
Should have come from:

inscription_int@paris-brest-paris.org

And as LWaB says, only took a few minutes (mine arrived 3 minutes after payment for reference).

Check yo' spam folders

(and 100% check the registration website just to be certain it's accepted your payment etc.!)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #186 on: 28 January, 2019, 05:51:06 pm »
Thanks, definitely no email and not in junk/spam.

Payment email received fine

Online looks fine - band L 1845

Can't see where it says payment complete - should that be somewhere?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #187 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:14:07 pm »
If only I hadn't been ill in the run up to our 1000km BRM but that and Real Life getting in the way means a 300km is all I have... If I don't make it, it's not the end of the world.... But would be good to do it.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #188 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:16:45 pm »
Diesel.

Go to pre-registration page. It will say "Entry PBP 2xxx". Click "Change".

That page has name, address etc. Click "Confirm".

Then it shows bike type and start time. At bottom of that page it has payment and pre-registration times and date.

The confirmation email has no more information and does not have any payment info.

HTH

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #189 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »
Diesel.

Go to pre-registration page. It will say "Entry PBP 2xxx". Click "Change".

That page has name, address etc. Click "Confirm".

Then it shows bike type and start time. At bottom of that page it has payment and pre-registration times and date.

The confirmation email has no more information and does not have any payment info.

HTH
Thanks. Looks like I may have an issue. No payment info displayed. But I paid with the right ref number and have the PayPal confirmation email from that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

« Reply #190 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:41:48 pm »
You could wait for them to manually match the payment to the entry or you could contact them.

Did you click on the "Return to Merchant" button in PayPal?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #191 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »
Still 2500+ places remain.

If it's really 5 per minute as said upthread, they could go in 6-7 hours.

We're now over the 6-7 hours since then and there are (as of a minute ago) 2499 places left.

I suspect things are going to slow dramatically from here on.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #192 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:01:27 pm »
Still 2500+ places remain.
If it's really 5 per minute as said upthread, they could go in 6-7 hours.
We're now over the 6-7 hours since then and there are (as of a minute ago) 2499 places left.
I suspect things are going to slow dramatically from here on.
Think you're right Marcus, but (to help with quantity (as opposed to an 'inequality')) Simon said 2500+ places left at 11:21. From the ticker, at 11:29 there were 2697 places left, so 200 have pre-registered in the last 7 hours.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #193 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:02:41 pm »
You could wait for them to manually match the payment to the entry or you could contact them.

Did you click on the "Return to Merchant" button in PayPal?
Thanks I'll try and cont at them. Yes I clicked the return to merchant.

Thanks for the help. That wa really useful.

Thanks Richard

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #194 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:12:21 pm »
To confirm the payment PayPal contacts the PBP servers via another back channel outside of your browser session. It is not unknown for this back channel to not always work (think auk web) or to take several hours or days. Under PayPal guidelines it says up to four days.  LEL 17 I saw a few rare cases where payments converted from pending to paid after a couple of days, with no intervention our end.  But contacting the PBP team won't do any harm.

markldn

« Reply #195 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:45:25 pm »
I think you selectively quoted me there.   There's an earlier post where I recommended doing your SR anyway as there's a likelihood you'll still get in.

Sorry about that Rob. It's been a frustrating day for me as you can imagine. Definitely not going to stop now. Not in my nature. Heck, I'd sooner show up uninvited to ride PBP.

markldn

« Reply #196 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »
To confirm the payment PayPal contacts the PBP servers via another back channel outside of your browser session. It is not unknown for this back channel to not always work (think auk web) or to take several hours or days. Under PayPal guidelines it says up to four days.  LEL 17 I saw a few rare cases where payments converted from pending to paid after a couple of days, with no intervention our end.  But contacting the PBP team won't do any harm.

It sounds like this system is rife for failure in the event of overload. Take for instance glastonbury. They have had to invest (outsource) massively in their back end in order to cope with excess demand--of which to this day is still dramatically unable to cope and fails, unfairly, to equitably distribute tickets. I think once we get to the round where demand outstrips supply the faults will be exposed and there will be a lot of those who will feel "first come first served" was not delivered.

On pure capacity, they should have easily been able to foresee this given the data they have on worldwide participation growth. They have chosen to do nothing. Not good from a marketing perspective. If London to Brighton can handle 10,000(?) cyclists over 100km every year, I struggle to understand how one side of France can't handle the same every four years. They should adapt to the demand or risk appearing exclusive.

Or we could argue long-time, dedicated audaxers should have a place to celebrate their skills. On that basis then they should do away with the lower pre-qualifiers distances and general admission. Are we at a PBP crossroads?

Off topic perhaps.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #197 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:17:15 pm »
Are we at a PBP crossroads?

If it sells out, then yes I think we will be. Although I'm not sure where the roads-of-the-cross lead!

It's hardly earth-shattering - this situation has been seen in every single prominent endurance sport. LEL has sold out 6 years before this (I think?!? At least once, anyway!), and it is arguably the less prestigious event.

As many have said, there are now a plethora of great events out there. Should anyone chuck their running shoes after failing the London Marathon lottery?!? :P

If *I* was the moaning sort,
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #198 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:18:36 pm »
When demand begins to outstrip supply most systems move to a ballot removing the incentive for registering as soon as possible and removing the need for servers to be able to handle a crushing load (often of automated bots).

This is sometimes coupled with an incentive for certain types of entrants (i.e. "good for age" entries to London Marathon) so I could see something like preferential treatment being given to those who have already done PBP before (or the previous edition) and then a guaranteed number of newcomers via a ballot.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Phil W

« Reply #199 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:38:37 pm »

It sounds like this system is rife for failure in the event of overload. Take for instance glastonbury. They have had to invest (outsource) massively in their back end in order to cope with excess demand--of which to this day is still dramatically unable to cope and fails, unfairly, to equitably distribute tickets. I think once we get to the round where demand outstrips supply the faults will be exposed and there will be a lot of those who will feel "first come first served" was not delivered.

On pure capacity, they should have easily been able to foresee this given the data they have on worldwide participation growth. They have chosen to do nothing. Not good from a marketing perspective. If London to Brighton can handle 10,000(?) cyclists over 100km every year, I struggle to understand how one side of France can't handle the same every four years. They should adapt to the demand or risk appearing exclusive.

Or we could argue long-time, dedicated audaxers should have a place to celebrate their skills. On that basis then they should do away with the lower pre-qualifiers distances and general admission. Are we at a PBP crossroads?

Off topic perhaps.

If you don't get in this time you could always volunteer at PBP 19. Volunteering is a great way to be involved in such an event if you cannot ride.  In fact if I fail my qualifiers that is probably exactly what I will do since the time is already allocated for the event.