Author Topic: Dolomites rescue  (Read 8842 times)

Martin

Dolomites rescue
« on: 30 January, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
Took this back in October, we had climbed up to the same spot (by a different route obviously)a few hours earlier. I never worked out why the 'copter went back up to the top after winching the (American I think) lady off, perhaps there was another person up there? I think they had a ground based rescue team up there as well but she was a long way down (we could see her headlight in the gathering gloom, she kept shouting if she should stay there, everyone below said a resounding "yes!"). The mountain rescue car is on the track at the bottom.

Hope she had good travel insurance! We paid about £45 which included Via Ferrata for a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fYdMZs4Us&feature=youtu.be

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Dolomites rescue
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2020, 04:22:01 pm »
Is there a cut between them leaving the top and returning? I don't see them dropping anyone of so more likely that the MRT are doing something up there that the helicopter needs to GTF while they do it?

I've seen the Bristow Coastguard helicopters drop stuff off to the MRT on the hill and then GTF out the way before returning to pick up the casualty at which point they point towards Raigmore or Southern General and bugger off rapidly.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2020, 05:13:23 pm »
There's no cut, the copter had been around the other side for a while before I started filming. It hovered around for a couple of minutes after I stopped filming then flew off down the valley with the rescued on board, they could have landed near the track but didn't. It's called Paternkofler btw can't remember the Italian name, it was on the front line in WW1

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2020, 05:20:10 pm »
Ah!

Just had a look and found a video... just a wee bit airy.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2020, 06:43:55 pm »
It's entirely possible that the person winched up at 0.29 is not the casualty but a member of the MRT and that the casualty is picked up later after the copter has returned to the scene and can't see that on my crappy phone

Main thing is everyone down safely  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2020, 06:47:31 pm »
Ah!

Just had a look and found a video... just a wee bit airy.

I'm not a good climber especially with exposure but having a safety wire the whole way takes away a lot of the fear; you are never going to fall more than 10m and your VF set will arrest the fall