Author Topic: Competitiveness  (Read 2478 times)

Competitiveness
« on: 10 April, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
Apologies if any of you overtook a dad and his kid on a kiddy-cranked tandem at the end of a long hill today, only to find them sprinting as hard has they could to overtake you 2 miles later. My super-stoker insisted I buried myself with effort to catch up the 1/4 mile you got on us as he wanted to overtake so badly. I couldn't complain too much - it was the first time I really felt the effort he was putting into the pedals all ride...

I would wonder where he gets his competitiveness from, but I know it is just me - well, that and feeding him lots of videos of the UK's best road riders anyway!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Competitiveness
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
I know what you mean. My 5 yr old will turn the shortest trip into a race, even wanting to beat his own mummy.

On the mtb with him on an attached trailerbike, I respond by telling him to engage 'cheeky power' - I can't remember where it came from, I just know that by invoking this I'll get an extra 5mph for 30 seconds - it's the equivalent of having a turbo boost button.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:18:42 am »
I was riding through Hyde Park a few weeks ago and a Small of six-ish came past me at a rate of knots obviously racing.  So I slowed down, letting him just inch ahead of me, and he kept glancing back at me to see if he was still ahead.  As we got towards the bit where the road isn't closed any more, I did a comedy can't-go-on collapse with lots of panting, thinking it might make him laugh.  He turned round and pedalled back to me asking anxiously "Are you alright?" 

;D

Then his parents turned up having a heart attack that he'd got so far ahead.

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:23:45 am »
Competetiveness is forever!  Sadly, I'm getting to the stage where catching five-year-olds is a thing of the past.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »
Competetiveness is forever!  Sadly, I'm getting to the stage where catching five-year-olds is a thing of the past.

;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:15:36 pm »
Miss Dan the Younger was wanting to get ahead of me in the park yesterday. I had to explain that on a tag-a-long that would be challenging.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:16:41 pm »

just wait 'till son&heir is 36.
I get passed as if I'm stationary ::-)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
In the days of kiddy-trailering, my two would shout embarrassingly loudly and repeatedly, "he's overtaken us Daddy! Catch him up! Faster! ...Can't you go any faster!"