Author Topic: Children's hiking boots  (Read 6832 times)

Children's hiking boots
« on: 16 October, 2008, 09:56:33 am »
Does anyone know of any brands that make proper hiking boots, in small sizes?

They're not for children, but for me - I have wee feet and most (all?) of the women's boots start at a size 4.

I don't know much about walking boots, so I'm floundering even looking at adult sizes - and I'm concerned that the children's ones are just 'look-a-likes' and not actually any good.

Does anyone have experience of choosing boots for kids, for proper outdoor/ hiking use? And what should I be looking for in a boot, anyway?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Children's hiking boots
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:03:58 am »
SWMBO has ickle feet, bordering on kid's sizes and she has a pair of Italian made boots, your best bet would be to visit an outdoors shop (a real one, where the people know what they are doing, not a Blacks or the like) and ask their advice.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:08:16 am »
Yes, maybe I'll do that. I don't know where to find one but there must be a good shop in Edinburgh somewhere!

tiermat

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:14:07 am »
I know it's not a lot of use to you, but we got LD's boots from a shop in Huddersfield, but I find you get a more knowledgeable service from shops in walking areas i.e. the Peaks, Dales etc etc.

Could be a good excuse for a run out to a sceanic area one weekend?

EDIT:

Trezeta are the ones the Mrs has, very supportive and comfortable.

Apparently Tiso on Rose Street in Edinburgh are very good. (Snowsports, Outdoor Equipment, Outdoor Clothing, Camping Equipment - Tiso.com)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:19:55 am »
Yeah, Tiso are generally pretty good, but I suppose it depends who you get - the knowledgeable person or the Saturday worker! I'll look up Trezeta, ta.

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:23:43 am »
Decathlon do walking boots and appear to start at 3 for women. Here, under Mountain Sports rather than Walking & Running, for some reason.

They also show a good children's range.

No idea what the quality is like.

tiermat

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2008, 10:28:31 am »
We bought a pair of Decathlon's own make boots for TLD, they are ok, VERY cheap, but I wouldn't want to use them in anger.

TLD tends to go through boots and shoes at an alarming rate(as all 4 yr olds do), and once she is bigger (and growing slower) she will get some trezeta or such like boots, but for now the Decathlon ones are fine (the kids ones go all the way down to 22 (euro size)!!!)

Karen Sutton

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »
Our branch of Milletts sells walking boots in smaller sizes, both traditional leather and the more modern lightweight varieties.  I'll be getting some for Elizabeth (size 4) before we go off the Scotland for Chrimbo.

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:05:47 pm »
Wow - Elizabeth's got bigger feet than me!

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:18:09 pm »
Another vote for Decathlon, for kids they have a decent range and the more expensive ones actually have a lot of features you'd expect to see in the higher end boots.

They do seem to stock small sizes in their adult range, so worth a look (on the webiste at least).

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:22:27 pm »
Brashers start in a size 3 for women.
Brasher boots

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:28:10 pm »
Of the seven pairs under Hiking and Trekking, only one starts at a 3! But I suppose one is all I need  :)

What is the difference between hiking and trekking, can anyone enlighten me?

bikenerd

« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:37:54 pm »
Of the seven pairs under Hiking and Trekking, only one starts at a 3! But I suppose one is all I need  :)

What is the difference between hiking and trekking, can anyone enlighten me?

Ooops, sorry.  I knew they did the Hillmaster in a 3 but didn't check the others.  The Hillmaster is a classic fellwalking boot.
I have no idea what the difference between hiking and trekking is!  Maybe hiking you go up hills and trekking you go around them? :)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2008, 12:41:09 pm »
I suspect you go hiking in soggy European climates and trekking in dry exotic places. The Pennine Way is a hike but Kilimanjaro is a trek.
Not especially helpful or mature

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2008, 02:16:18 pm »
You could try Nevisport:  Shoes and Boots & Outdoor Gear from Nevisport

Tiso's should have these:  http://www.tiso.com/shop/footwear/boots/kids/

Dr RJ has Meindl boots (see Tiso) and is pelased with them.  Firstborn's feet may still be just too small for "proper" boots.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 17 October, 2008, 09:07:25 am »
Decathlon do walking boots and appear to start at 3 for women. Here, under Mountain Sports rather than Walking & Running, for some reason.

We got some kids walking shoes from Decathlon.  Seem to be fine.

rr

« Reply #16 on: 17 October, 2008, 09:52:31 am »

We got some kids walking shoes from Decathlon.  Seem to be fine.

Us too Mini's are probably size 3 as well, good grip and seem fairly water proof, £20

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #17 on: 17 October, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
Our branch of Milletts sells walking boots in smaller sizes, both traditional leather and the more modern lightweight varieties.  I'll be getting some for Elizabeth (size 4) before we go off the Scotland for Chrimbo.

Milletts are seconded. That is where the kids have got their boots from (the Peter Storm own brand).

Reasonable price and reasonable quality.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes