Author Topic: How to prepare for, and then do, a 24 hour race  (Read 3422 times)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
How to prepare for, and then do, a 24 hour race
« on: 20 February, 2009, 03:01:06 pm »
I have discovered a 24 hour race on the Bugatti motor racing circuit at Le Mans in late August this year, and am extremely keen to try this. (see 24 heures vélo au Mans 2009 > cyclosportive velo VTT vélo route cyclosportif cyclisme circuit le mans 24H).

The furthest I have ridden to date was a 300k Audax, which I completed, with several leisurely stops, in 18.75 hours. I was tired by then.

My present bike is a Ridgeback hybrid, and I propose to borrow or buy a racing bike, as
1. bar ends are banned and
2. the surface will be as flat as a crepe and every 4.1 km you pass your 'pit' so no need for spares/tool/luggage/rations on board.

Can anyone provide advice on training and how to ride/feed/rest if I do this solo.

I was thinking  I could use the Audax model of 50 miles/2 hours between short rest/fuel breaks. Or is that for wimps, because real racers go 24 hours non stop?

TIA

Lycra Man

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: How to prepare for, and then do, a 24 hour race
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »
There is a UK 24 hour time trial event held every year, google for the "Mersey Roads"
I'm sure plenty of people on here have done it and can advise you

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2009, 03:21:14 pm »
Round a flat 4km circuit for 24hours is going to be mind-blowingly dull.  Make sure you have ways to keep your attention focussed.  And good luck with it!
Getting there...

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2009, 03:53:32 pm »
The track is smooth, rather than flat. It also twists, so in my mind's eye I shall be Jackie Ickx in a GT40, which will keep me alert.

It is 'hilly' enough to have a profile on the website.

I know the track and terrain well.

Lycra Man

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »
Join the 24hr Fellowship.they have a magazine and guides on preparing for a 24hr time trial UK style.Current record is 525 miles.

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2009, 04:45:52 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of having a go at the Mersey Roads does anyone know if I need to be a member of a club other than AUK to take part?

Cheers.

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2009, 04:50:12 pm »
Yes, you have to be a member of a cycling club affiliated to CTT.

More info in this thread:-

Mersey Roads '09

which points to lots of useful info in this thread:-

Mersey 24 2008
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2009, 04:55:42 pm »
The track is smooth, rather than flat. It also twists, so in my mind's eye I shall be Jackie Ickx in a GT40, which will keep me alert.

I can only speak from experience of 12 hour TTs, but I was getting insanely bored of circuits after 4 laps on a 20 mile circuit. You may be alert for a while, but I'd suggest that you'll need something more after 10 hours non stop!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:25:11 pm »
Yep, on the MR last year I managed to get bored with the shorter circuit (20 miles) quite quickly. 

We were riding two laps of the longer circuit (40 miles) between breaks.  After every lap, our fabulous support team (Annie, Elleigh and the Daves) were passing us water / gels / bars, and then after every other lap we were stopping for a sandwich or something more substantial. 

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »
A MP3 player can really help to pass those boring moments.  In the days before MP3 players were available I used a walkman to get me through 24 hour speedskating races (on a 400m track).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:11:13 am »
I thought that mp3 players were banned on the Mersey Roads?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
They are.

« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »
They are.

At a closed circuit the rules could be different.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
The MR is the only one I've ever done, so I don't know!  :)

« Reply #14 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:53:29 am »
I was planning to try the 24h LeMans as well but, though they will accept MTB and various backgrounds and levels (riders) etc. they do not accept fixed (TT) bikes!! Apparently fixed can't follow the pace?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #15 on: 25 March, 2009, 11:06:37 am »
If you have any questions about the circuit we (a load of speed skaters) do a 24Hr skate race there each year.

There are hills, that you notice on skates, the fist drag after the pits up to the Dunlop bridge, and some of the bends will be interesting I should think, I hope the speed differentials are a bit less on bikes than we get. If like the skaters, you are housed in the pits expect crowds, but easy access to water and power points.

Useful first timer tip, use the loos in the stands not the pits, much sorter ques, and the disabled ones have paper the longest. If you want to rest in the pits good earplugs.