Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 21502 times)

Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #25 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:20:38 pm »
I am already sizing up my neighbours. Plenty of dead wood about at the moment.

Neighbours,
Everybody needs good neighbours
Just a tasty steak each morning
Helps to make a better day

Neighbours,
Need to get to know each other
Next door is only a cookbook away

Neighbours,
Everybody needs good neighbours
With the proper seasoning
You can't tell who's pork or man

Neighbours,
Should be there for one another
That's when good neighbours become good viands
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #26 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »
Since we have power cuts several time a year usually for several hours at a time and memorably one Christmas for three days we always have a supply of candles and battery torches.
We tend to have a full freezer (Mrs Pcolbeck is a batch cooker of casseroles and the like). I have an air rifle so could have a pop at the local bunny population to keep us in food.I keep thinking about stocking up on canned fruit and meat against a possible few months of chaos if we hard Brexit.

A few years back my sister ended up doing Christmas dinner on the barbie
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #27 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:32:32 pm »
Since we have power cuts several time a year usually for several hours at a time and memorably one Christmas for three days we always have a supply of candles and battery torches.
We tend to have a full freezer (Mrs Pcolbeck is a batch cooker of casseroles and the like). I have an air rifle so could have a pop at the local bunny population to keep us in food.I keep thinking about stocking up on canned fruit and meat against a possible few months of chaos if we hard Brexit.

I have a shotgun and seem to live quite close by. I'll swap you some pigeons for some of your rabbits? :)

Of course, being cyclists we'll all be in a good position to benefit from empty roads come the Apocalypse.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #28 on: 09 December, 2018, 10:38:42 pm »
I reckon I can make a week of meals from the dry / tinned food in the cupboard, and we have some camping gas. The kids will learn to like bean surprise.

If brexit breaks the food supply I’m relying on hot wiring a fishing boat and heading to France. :demon:

I'm planning a motorcycle holiday and may just not bother coming back...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #29 on: 10 December, 2018, 08:12:37 pm »
If Brexshit really does hit the fan & supply chains are disrupted the government might try to take things over  :facepalm:   Ministry of Supply ?

I'd imagine bulk food & medicines taking shipping priority , with other daily essentials having to wait.   Stock up on toothpaste, loo roll, toiletries, sanitary towels, spices to make bland food palatable. Basic painkillers & cold remedies.    There might well be a run on the banks, so if you can, get a good chunk of cash out now, before everyone else panics.

I've got a couple of big LED lanterns for light, spare batteries for same.  While I've got camping stoves they are no good with proper pans so I'll probably get a couple of these https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/258605-campingaz-camp-bistro-2-stove-mid-blue.html  & some cartridges.   I always keeps some bottled water in, the pipes to my flat are external & freeze every cold  spell.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 10 December, 2018, 08:52:46 pm »
There might well be a run on the banks, so if you can, get a good chunk of cash out now, before everyone else panics.
Pounds, euros or dollars?  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 10 December, 2018, 08:58:14 pm »
Gold sovereigns if you’ve got em! Dig that old medallion or chunky ring out of the drawer.  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:02:37 pm »
Pound now competing with Bitcoin in the race to the bottom?

ElyDave

« Reply #33 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:06:05 pm »
Gold sovereigns if you’ve got em! Dig that old medallion or chunky ring out of the drawer.  ;)

gold fillings anyone - Charles Bronson style?

« Reply #34 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:52:22 pm »
I have a definite tendency to stockpile food in the cupboards as Simon would no doubt tell you. However my motivation is not really survivalist- we live out in the sticks where it's over 10 miles to the nearest decent supermarket and I frankly cannot be bothered with running out of things. If I run out of something whilst I am cooking I have usually had too much wine to drive anywhere to buy anything.

That said, I am seriously considering buying a genny- but this is to run the pond pumps in the event of a power cut rather than live off. I'm in the process of getting some solar panels installed on our house- but this is more for environmental reasons than to be self sufficient in a zombapocalpyse  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:28:49 am »
3 podcast series I've listened to have, coincidentally and tangentially, touched on prepping - one on Waco, one on Ruby Ridge, and one on Y2K. The Y2K one included a story about someone who prepared for the 1/1/2000 apocalypse by buying 200 hamsters and a lot of hamster food, with the intention of a using them as a self-sustaining (until the hamster food ran out, I suppose) meat supply. It didn't report if he was also intending to try to generate power from hamster wheels.

« Reply #36 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:43:04 am »
That said, I am seriously considering buying a genny- but this is to run the pond pumps in the event of a power cut rather than live off. I'm in the process of getting some solar panels installed on our house- but this is more for environmental reasons than to be self sufficient in a zombapocalpyse  ;D

When we had the house rewired a few years ago I got the sparky to put in a proper isolation switch to cut us off from the mains and a socket where you can plug a generator in to feed the house electrics. Again not for the zombie apocalypse but more because we get a fair amount of power cuts and I could see that might get worse due to the lack of investment in the infrastructure. We need electricity to keep the central heating pumps turning and the log burner on (it has a back boiler with a pumped not gravity fed circuit). As it is we haven't got round to it a the power-cuts whilst no less frequent have got shorter, now hours rather than days.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

« Reply #37 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:52:51 am »
we used to have regular power cuts for long durations, very much reduced now.  Due to my son's disabilities we are on the priority list for all the utilities, whether that extends to a genny or not has not been tested yet.

For the zombapocalyse/trump-troubles/may's mayhem, I have a stout brick-built shed full of pointy and heavy things, some being both pointy and heavy

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:20:19 am »
I was reading recently about art of dubious origins that might or might not have been stolen by Nazis during WW2. Apparently one of the reasons there was a boom in art dealing in Germany immediately before during and after the war was down to the lack of conventional commodities for speculation. I suppose in the true ultimate and cataclysmic apocalypse complete with four horsemen, the prepper's tins themselves become currency. Or maybe the horsemen's horses for white, red, black and pale bolognese?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #40 on: 14 January, 2019, 11:31:51 pm »
Trangia, Meth's, dried pasta, few bottles of water.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 14 January, 2019, 11:42:44 pm »
Don't forget the bogroll.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #42 on: 14 January, 2019, 11:48:30 pm »
Which reminds me, I really should clear the old brick septic tanks of the junk our previous owner dumped in them in case I need to recommission them in April.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2019, 12:05:26 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-46865944/could-no-deal-brexit-lead-to-loo-roll-logjam

https://prospect.org/article/brexit-panic-brits-run-out-toilet-paper

"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average. The United Kingdom is Europe’s biggest importer of loo paper and it is said that only one day’s supply of toilet paper exists in stock. If Britain leaves the EU Customs Union and Single Market in five months’ time and the trucks transporting toilet paper are held up at Calais or Dover, British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2019, 12:39:36 am »
"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average."
The implication being we're two and a half times as full of shit!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:04:47 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-46865944/could-no-deal-brexit-lead-to-loo-roll-logjam

https://prospect.org/article/brexit-panic-brits-run-out-toilet-paper

"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average. The United Kingdom is Europe’s biggest importer of loo paper and it is said that only one day’s supply of toilet paper exists in stock. If Britain leaves the EU Customs Union and Single Market in five months’ time and the trucks transporting toilet paper are held up at Calais or Dover, British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days."

This will at least prop up the flagging circulation of the tabloid press.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:31:44 am »
I listened to this (apologies for the itunes link - you can find it elsewhere), so I've stocked upon tins and UHT milk and stuff. If the brexapocalypse is avoided then I'll just give a load of it to the food bank.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-fall/id1437140842?mt=2

Irritatingly, if we have a power cut, the solar panels are no use for powering things because the inverter relies on the phase of the supply to sync with mains. In theory a power bank would help with that, but a decent size one is 5 grand, and the payback time is terrible.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 15 January, 2019, 11:56:37 am »
I listened to this (apologies for the itunes link - you can find it elsewhere), so I've stocked upon tins and UHT milk and stuff. If the brexapocalypse is avoided then I'll just give a load of it to the food bank.

I really hope it doesn't get serious enough for barakta to have to drink UHT milk.  I'll never hear the end of it.  Maybe I should invest in a cow...

Irritatingly, if we have a power cut, the solar panels are no use for powering things because the inverter relies on the phase of the supply to sync with mains.

They all seem to do that, presumably in the interests of not electrocuting unsuspecting linespersons working on what they reasonably expect to be a dead cable.  I expect an island-capable inverter would require interlocking with some sort of appropriate isolation (think generator changeover switch) for you to be allowed to connect it to the grid.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 15 January, 2019, 11:59:05 am »

I really hope it doesn't get serious enough for barakta to have to drink UHT milk.  I'll never hear the end of it.  Maybe I should invest in a cow...
There's an easy way to avoid that. Persuade her to go vegan.  :demon:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2019, 02:32:27 pm »
"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average."
The implication being we're two and a half times as full of shit!

We don't go thru 4 rolls a week...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.