Author Topic: Toenail fungus  (Read 32120 times)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Re: Toenail fungus
« Reply #25 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:35:32 pm »
I have lovely feet, apart from one toe, that has given me problems recently - this has now been solved by making sure my shoes fit properly.  I also get athletes foot in summer and I just spray with athletes foot spray for a few weeks and it goes away.

I might give tea tree a go though  :)

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:27:55 pm »
 About 20 years ago I was occupational physician in an industry which required 2000 operatives to wear rubber boots.These were used communally and over 60% of users were shown to have fungal infections by microscopy of skin scrapings.I initiated a simple clinical trial comparing the efficiency of the commonly available over the counter medications.The ranking order was 1 Monphytol,2 Daktarin 3 Mycota. (*) Monphytol is a liquid to be painted on the affected area (as it is alcohol based it stings for a few seconds if there is a break in the skin).It was also cheaper than all its competitors.At that time it was packaged in pink which did not go down well with the all male workforce but became acceptable when at our suggestion the manufacturer changed to green.Although it works well on skin fungal infection it is ineffective for nail fungus for which oral medication is the only reliable treatment.Nail fungus usually is preceded by skin infection ,which should be treated prevent the much more difficult to treat nail problem.Other important factors are daily washing,thorough drying,clean socks and no shared towels or bathmats.
(*) this was before the introduction of the conozole group of drugs

« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:49:34 pm »
The skin on my feet is as soft as a baby's bottom.

I'm not helping, am I.

Carry on.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #28 on: 03 October, 2008, 01:22:19 pm »
Before I went on the anti-fungals, I'd had nearly three decades of athlete's foot, manky nails,  treatment with Whitfield's Ointment, Mycota, Mycil, Daktarin, Canesten, griseofulvin etc. As far as I am concerned oral anti-fungals rock and the rest are a waste of time. They cured my sister too and my father (probably the original source of infection) has just started taking them. He has manky fingernails too...

Tablets sorted my (finger and toe) nails out too.  Needed two blood tests before and after the first month of treatement, to check for any effect on liver function, followed by another two months of tablets.  No side effects and healthy nails as a result.

This (too) followed years of mucking about with topical treatements that didn't really work.  Once the fungus is embedded enough it seems to take some shifting.

I'd recommend going directly to a GP, for rapidest results.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #29 on: 03 October, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »
  I've got calloused heels which have got so tough that they sometimes split apart like a dried up river bed and hurt something rotten.

As one inveterate sandal wearer to another, the best cure for cracked heels that I've so far found is the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Foot Butter

Rocky Mountain Soap Company - 100% Natural Skin Care

You rub the butter on your heels before going to bed, slip a pair of socks on (so not to ruin the bedding, I suspect) and after a few days all the cracks just go.  It is simply brilliant.

I know it's based in Canada but we were told whilst over in their Banff shop this year that they've started doing very reasonably priced mail order to the UK.

The company uses almost exclusively natural products and we've been very impressed with the quality and effectiveness of their products
Question everything, accept nothing.

« Reply #30 on: 06 October, 2008, 02:45:45 pm »
. . . I've got calloused heels which have got so tough that they sometimes split apart like a dried up river bed and hurt something rotten . . .

Aquas cream (Generic) from your pharmacy is the stuff for this, it's as cheap as chips, comes in a big tub and works. Apply after bathing or showering.

After many years of paddling around sailing club changing rooms on feet that have been soaking in turgid water all day, I have suffered the consequences and haven't found any externally applied medication that works.  The pills worked for me with no after affects even though I still drank alcohol (sometimes in moderation).  I still have big-toe nails that look as they have a fungal infection, but after having clippings tested, I am assured by my quack, that it is a result of nail bed damage and not a fungal enfection.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #31 on: 07 October, 2008, 03:28:54 am »
A helpful thread indeed.

I shall try nail varnish.

Perhaps black.

H

« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:34:10 pm »
for cracked heels I use sandpaper and then apply lots of vaseline put on a pair of socks and after a few hours the heel is soft again

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #33 on: 17 October, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »
Bengali old wives remedy. Clove and Mustard Oil applied to the area last thing at night.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 18 October, 2008, 09:27:06 am »
Lots of barefooting and seawater makes for supple leathery feets.  I think it's the UV as much as the fresh air...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 18 October, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »
Well, I've been to the doctor and I'm having some toenail clippings off to the lab.  I'm also having blood tests...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 18 October, 2008, 06:32:59 pm »
There's some beeswax stuff advertised in the CTC rag which claims to sort out cracked hands, and probably also works on feet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 18 October, 2008, 08:15:30 pm »
Does the Body Shop stiill sell 'Elbow Grease'?  ;D

It might be just the thing for cracked feet!

Seriously, pussy-footing with these things can be a waste of time.

Good luck with the anti-fungals!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #38 on: 18 October, 2008, 08:26:24 pm »
Badger Balm is beeswax based and is nice for cracked hard bits.  From good chemists. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #39 on: 19 October, 2008, 11:31:04 am »
Woolly's experimenting with tea tree oil for his couple of dodgy toenails.

My feet remain soft as a baby's bottom. This worries me. Will they one day take a sudden turn for the worse, or does this just mean I'm a lazy thing who doesn't walk enough? :-/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 19 October, 2008, 01:12:44 pm »
A previous boyfriend of mine said his feet always went soft if he did a lot of cycling.
They toughened up when he got back to 'normal life' which entailed more standing and walking.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #41 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:48:02 am »
My feet go hard when cycling and my cycling shoes have great ventilation. Walking on beeches etc does soften them :) But the best thing to do is to apply baby oil/moisturising creams straight after a shower/bath while still damp. Baby oil works it's way in and stays soft for days.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #42 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:43:05 am »
I've been back to the doc today and he's prescribed Loceryl nail lacquer.

I've just read the instructions and it looks as though I am about to start a new hobby bordering on full-time occupation.

We discussed oral antifungals and he was quite adamant that he wouldn't take them and even did me the favour of showing me his stunted big toe nail, a result of years of nail fungus. I'm quite keen not to swallow a load of fungicide for what is more of a cosmetic problem than an irritant, especially since I'm already swallowing a load of other poison in the form of methotrexate to keep the bloody arthritis at bay.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »
In wow's shoes, I wouldn't take oral antifungals, in mine, I did and it was wonderful.

I had forgotten how much my feet itched, tilll they stopped.
It was nice to have feet that did not look like they belonged to a tramp.
It was good not to have lots of little fungal blisters.

The problem was not just cosmetic, though it was hardly serious.

My Dad is now on anti-fungals. He had it in his fingernails and his hands are looking much better.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #44 on: 26 July, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »
Charlotte, how are your feet coming along?

Support Equilibrium

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #45 on: 26 July, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »
I've been back to the doc today and he's prescribed Loceryl nail lacquer.

I've just read the instructions and it looks as though I am about to start a new hobby bordering on full-time occupation.

Loceryl works well but you need to be patient. Two tips:

Let it dry before you go to bed or put on socks else your feet will get stuck to the fabric (don't ask how I know this)

Clean off the old layers so that you're treating nails and not the laquer

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 26 July, 2009, 05:34:11 pm »
Charlotte, how are your feet coming along?

Getting there.  I didn't start the pills 'till a few months ago because my doc wanted me to finish a course of something else I was taking first.  No side-effects and they appear to be working.  In as much as the nail bed seems to be less manky and the new nail that's growing isn't all mungy.

I suspect I'm going to be on them until Christmas or beyond, though.  I want rid of this once and for all...

Zoidburg

« Reply #47 on: 26 July, 2009, 06:22:20 pm »
I didn't tell you this BTW.

Keep the foot lurgy at bay by pissing on your feet in the shower

*Revulsion ensues...*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 26 July, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »
Thanks for that, Zoiders.  You're full of useful information...

*pukes inna hedge*

« Reply #49 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:37:55 am »
Nought wrong with pissing on the feets.

tis good for cleaning cuts too.