General Category > Freewheeling

Cycling Plus - Stiff Cranks

(1/16) > >>

should be cycling:
Not necessarily unique to Cycling Plus, but either it is full of total bullsh*t or I am just too dim to be able to discern these things (which I freely acknowledge may be the case).

For example, the latest edition says of the new Dura Ace kit, "this is one of the stiffest feeling cranksets we've ever ridden".  A stiff feeling crankset?  What? I can understand a frame flexing if your stand up on a hill, but is it really possible to tell the difference between the stifness of different cranks?

Aidan:
I thought exactly the same when I read it. My cranks don't exactly flop about and I bet I couldnt tell a stiff crank from a very stiff crank, what would the deflection be?

On an aside, I'm pretty fed up of C+, there's been an obvious shift towards sportive riding, which while I have no problem with sportive riding, I miss the generalism,. which has diminished  For example  Bike of the year was a test of 20+  sportive type bikes, many indiscernable.  Last years BOTY  had a category for tourers, fixies, commuters, folders etc 

I'm gonna cancel my subscription and get Total Guitar instead. Rock On :thumbsup:

nuttycyclist:
Last time I had stiff cranks I stripped the BB down, lubed it, and put it back together properly.

If I saw a product review saying the cranks were the stiffest ever ridden I wouldn't bother buying them.  I want smooth running, not added effort to ride.

Hot Flatus:
It's full of balls really.. but it plops on my doormat every thursday nevertheless.  The race reports are good, and the rides with the pros are ok if you live near any but lots of the articles on 'improving' whether it be nutrition or whatever are usually so bland as to be worthless. The bike reviews are highly suspect, considering who places the biggest adverts in the mag.

nmcgann:
Yes, it's a load of old b*llocks  ::-) Chris Hoy can probably flex a crank, but I doubt any of the customers for the bikes reviewed in C+ can.

Neil (Still defiantly sqare-taper and octalink :thumbsup:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version