Author Topic: Spelling that makes you cringe  (Read 169918 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Spelling that makes you cringe
« on: 22 September, 2010, 08:48:01 pm »
Campagnola

I'm rarely offended by misspellings as I'm not too hot myself at spelling, and there's no such thing as "correct" spelling, really, as it's an evolutionary thing, but this one makes me :sick:  Don't people look at their components, or are they misreading the fancy writing?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:55:02 pm »
An audaxing chum of mine used to have a casquette (sp?), with that very word printed on the peak.  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:56:21 pm »
loose instead of lose
"definate" - no one ever spells "finite" "finate", so why "definate"?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:57:09 pm »
Dave Johnson was sorting one of the fabulous AUK PBP misprint shirts on Saturday's 200.  The one that says across the back:

Paris-Breast-Paris

:)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »
Dave Johnson was sorting one of the fabulous AUK PBP misprint shirts on Saturday's 200.  The one that says across the back:

Paris-Breast-Paris

:)

Just wear it frack-to-bunt.

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2010, 08:59:17 pm »
The 2009 LEL jersey has a grave error on it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:14:19 pm »

Talking of errors, one that's often committed on this forum:

'err' used to indicate hesitant pause (rather than 'er').

Actually it doesn't make me cringe, but just raises a little smile as it's one of those misspellings that frequently works in the opposite way it was intended (to err  - to be mistaken):

"I err ... think you'll find that I'm right"

In the same way, people who claim to be 'pissed' at something rather than 'pissed off' don't do themselves any favours.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »

In the same way, people who claim to be 'pissed' at something rather than 'pissed off' don't do themselves any favours.

North Americanism.  We don't use 'pissed' to mean drunk; it's a of shortening 'pissed off'.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:22:54 pm »

I'm immune to that one having lived in the US where it's very common (along with the inability to say the work 'bollocks' or 'Aussie').

(Let's not turn this into an anti-Americanism thread though...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

plum

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »
I've always thought the grammar thread showed little enough class or manners, but I stayed away away from that argument, but here you all go again. Heaven forbid that there should be people out there oh so slightly less literate than than the middle class morass that fills yacf. What's the matter with you all, why not live and let live?

red marley

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »
North Americanism.  We don't use 'pissed' to mean drunk; it's a of shortening 'pissed off'.

I realise that, and I'm not being anti-American. I just find it very slightly amusing that when that expression is borrowed by speakers in the UK for whom 'pissed' also means incapably drunk, it inadvertently dilutes the speaker's intended meaning.

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:36:50 pm »
So many to chose from. Accomodation.
Dependant for dependent.
And as for the do's and don't's of apostrophe's ...for some reason CD's particularly annoys.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:52:55 pm »
I've always thought the grammar thread showed little enough class or manners, but I stayed away away from that argument, but here you all go again. Heaven forbid that there should be people out there oh so slightly less literate than than the middle class morass that fills yacf. What's the matter with you all, why not live and let live?

I do basically agree with you (as I hinted in my original post), but us humans do get irritated (sp?!) by irrational (sp?!) things and it helps to get them off your chest - so here's a thread to do it in.  It's not to be taken too seriously.  It's different from correcting people's spelling in ordinary threads - which I don't like, unless it's of practical help.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
affect and effect. They are quite distinct so dont muddle tehm up. The effect is to affect my brain though I might be affecting to the effect they cause.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:01:34 pm »
affect and effect. They are quite distinct so dont muddle tehm up. The effect is to affect my brain though I might be affecting to the effect they cause.

..d

No spelling thread is error-free  ;) ;D

Saw a school's website yesterday (in Comic Sans, of course) with two spelling errors on its 'History' page. Literacy FAIL!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »
I've seen an English-Polish dictionary with a mistake in the entry for 'mistake'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:27:17 pm »
Reccomend for recommend.
Peleton for peloton.

« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:33:48 pm »
Its and it's.
Independant for independent.

« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »

I admit to spelling and grammar being a thing with me.  I love words and reading and notice spelling mistakes without even trying to.  I have been known to 'red pen' documents even when I'm not going to do anything about it - I suspect it's  because the errors distract me from the content of what I'm reading.  Please consider threads like this one and the grammar thread as a sort of spa or refuge for people like me.  I really can't help it and try not to impose it on people who aren't similarly inclined. 
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:30:51 pm »
sight

as in - web sight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »

I do basically agree with you (as I hinted in my original post), but us humans do get irritated (sp?!) by irrational (sp?!) things and it helps to get them off your chest - so here's a thread to do it in.  It's not to be taken too seriously.  It's different from correcting people's spelling in ordinary threads - which I don't like, unless it's of practical help.
Perfictly put, Biggy.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:39:27 pm »

Perfictly put, Biggy.  :thumbsup:

And there was I hoping the main culprits would sit and study this thread as improving bedtime reading.

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »
I'm inconsistent and fallible. Like others I admit to being somewhat pedantic about spelling and grammar. Yet no matter how much I proof read my letters/emails etc. it makes me cringe when I see what I've written. So I try (weakly) to assume the errors of others are typos or slips of the keyboard.

On this site I get irritated by
- peddles instead of pedals, and

- breaks instead of brakes.

There, I've said it now; that feels better already.
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 22 September, 2010, 11:51:17 pm »
Things make us cringe because the correct spelling/grammar was drummed into us at a very early age. Misspellings look as wrong as malaligned buttons/buttonholes. (Some of us also cringe when we see back-to-front photos.) These ingrained reactions can't be shed by a group of mainly middle-aged posters.
We give vent to our particular pet hates in these threads but largely leave errors uncorrected elsewhere, even though we are cringing.
Please allow us somewhere to vent!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 23 September, 2010, 07:21:34 am »

Talking of errors, one that's often committed on this forum:

'err' used to indicate hesitant pause (rather than 'er').

Actually it doesn't make me cringe, but just raises a little smile as it's one of those misspellings that frequently works in the opposite way it was intended (to err  - to be mistaken):

"I err ... think you'll find that I'm right"

I think the extra/additional 'r's indicate the vocal  'length' of the word.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor