Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463916 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2875 on: 12 September, 2019, 07:30:39 am »
I reckon a vaper (vapour?)
Can we use “vapeur”?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2876 on: 12 September, 2019, 07:58:28 am »
Nicotine is addictive.

...but in itself Mostly Harmless.  The problem comes from the common delivery method.

E.g. pure, in someone's butty: https://www.wired.com/2012/05/nicotine-and-the-chemistry-of-murder/

I reckon a vaper (vapour?)
Can we use “vapeur”?

Vaporetto/vaporetta would be much more picturesque: after all, vapeur just means steam, whereas with vaporetto you get the whole steamboat.

But if you want to remain within the confines of English I'd suggest vapids for users.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2877 on: 12 September, 2019, 02:02:10 pm »
I expect the Vapons to be a new Star Trek species.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2878 on: 12 September, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
Vapon... vapoff.

« Reply #2879 on: 16 September, 2019, 07:17:53 pm »
My left knee pain has now been diagnosed as arthritis  :'(.
The beginning of the end of my cycling maybe.
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2880 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:05:11 pm »

Arse.  Was worried it might be that...

« Reply #2881 on: 17 September, 2019, 07:55:02 am »
What type? Some are treatable.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2882 on: 17 September, 2019, 09:17:30 am »
I don't know what type I'm afraid. That was all that the physio told me. Maybe I should make a appointment at the doctors to see if I can find out.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2883 on: 17 September, 2019, 09:58:40 am »
That sounds a sensible thing to do. Really hoping it doesn't mean the end of your cycling.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2884 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:07:49 am »

I don't know what type I'm afraid. That was all that the physio told me. Maybe I should make a appointment at the doctors to see if I can find out.

Bummer... From ~2000 to 2007 I used to get stabbing pains in my left knee on occasion, right at the top of the tibia and on the left. On one 600k when I had to climb up to the Jura plateau it was bloody murder.  Doc & fizzy both rumbled on about arthritis, but after that ride it disappeared and I've never had it since. Maybe I ground something off.

---o0o---

After yesterday's ride I'm going ask the GP about IBS.*  For some time now I've been alternating between two days' constipation and one day during which I will go twice, usually an hour or so after eating, with about ten minutes' notice between the first stirrings and the pressure becoming agony. Yesterday a bumpy bit of tow-path triggered proceedings, and I had to turn off and negotiate a 9% climb before finding a corner of a foreign field that could be forever Ireland. It's hard to climb well with a cracking sphincter.

Anyway, it's getting to the point where I'm staying home rather than do long rides where I know there'll not be much chance of cludges or good cover. Bah.

* not to mention Earts, the other Edinburgh football team.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2885 on: 17 September, 2019, 12:07:53 pm »

Yes.  Given how much of your general health hinges on the mobility you get from cycling, this is worth treating if at all possible.  Referral to orthopaedics time.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2886 on: 17 September, 2019, 05:57:56 pm »

It's my understanding that some kinds of exercise can be beneficial for arthritis, but you may need intervention to manage it with meds to enable that. I think asking the GP for a referral for management advice would be good.  Swimming and cycling are "approved" from what I can tell.

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my left shoulder and elbow, right elbow and probably right wrist. Surgeons have finally all made their bad faces and the outcome is "sorry nothing we can do except fuse joints"... It's caused, possibly like yours, by unusual use of the joint because of other impairments!  I suspect my lot would love it if I cycled/swam... I'm also getting a Cox 2 inhibitor and occasional diazepam for when shoulder SPANGS and they're gonna do a nerve block for the severe pain... So there are things they can do...  Are there any prescribed exercise options for example? Hydrotherapy? Or other support you can get...

If you don't ask - you won't get!

Also, consider ways of lowering your gears, I'm told you're a hell of a masher!

« Reply #2887 on: 17 September, 2019, 06:48:36 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone 😊
I will phone the doctors tomorrow and see what they say.
As for my pedaling the e assist means a slow (by even my standards) spin to get the best speeds out of it  ::-)

« Reply #2888 on: 17 September, 2019, 06:50:53 pm »
A friend who had pretty bad arthritis was told to keep on, in her case, dancing if she could cope with the pain.
'You can't do any more damage'
As others have said, it all depends on the individual case.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2889 on: 17 September, 2019, 07:22:22 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone 😊
I will phone the doctors tomorrow and see what they say.
As for my pedaling the e assist means a slow (by even my standards) spin to get the best speeds out of it  ::-)

Any chance of a tweaking of the setting to make it less of a trigger point?

And yes, as SteveC says, you can't really damage it more, so it's pain management time. I'll let you all know how my Cox2 inhibitors go when I've sorted my own GP appt out for them.

« Reply #2890 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:52:14 am »
I have no idea how to adjust settings on the electrics and don't know if it's possible.. I will mention pain relief when I see the doctor, thanks again.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2891 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:35:37 am »
And it's not just about mobility for you – getting out on the trike is obviously important for your mental well-being, a way to stay sane even. Can you make your GP understand this?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2892 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:45:19 pm »
And it's not just about mobility for you – getting out on the trike is obviously important for your mental well-being, a way to stay sane even. Can you make your GP understand this?

God yes, hammer the desk if you have to. I went to pieces when the cardio inflicted beta-blockers on me - 71.5 to 74.5 kg in two months and HbA1c soaring. Still fighting to get back to normal.

« Reply #2893 on: 19 September, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
I have had a few experiences, at random times, where I have woken in the night with a dull ache in my testicles. By the time I wake again in the morning this has disappeared, all good to go. I had a suspicion that this might be something to do with how I was lying and maybe my testicles were being twisted or squeezed, maybe. Last night this happened again and after going for the usual nightly pee I got back into bed, laid on my back and made sure everything was positioned how it should be. When I half woke again a short while later the ache had gone. My question is, do other males experience this problem or is it unusual and I should see my Dr. Thanks for your help. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2894 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:16:26 pm »
Do check if there is only one meat and two veggies and no other lumps that isn't normal.

It reminds me of this (which I have suffered) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion. Yes most common for the youth and it is NOT dull pain, you would happy swap with kick in the private with clogs, instead off this. But before the operation I do remember some dull pain.

But short story - call and meet your GP.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2895 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
To answer your question.  No. I don't get this.  Visit the GP.  There may be something slightly twisted.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2896 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:53:22 pm »
Testicles can twist, temporarily or not. This more commonly happens in teenagers.
It's also possible for a small testicular appendage to twist, with less dire consequence.

As others have said, get checked!

AIUI cancer of the testis is usually painless. (It is, of course, serious but usually VERY treatable if caught early.)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2897 on: 19 September, 2019, 07:12:26 pm »
Another thought.   Ahem.  Don't if you're single or not, but could it be 'Blue Balls'?
The remedy is quite simple.   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2898 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:03:52 am »
Thanks for your help, I will see my Dr. To add, I had been out running in the pm prior although I think that the lycra cycling type shorts I was wearing were supportive.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2899 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:37:16 pm »
I
Saw the doctor this morning and she sent me off to the hospital for a x Ray. She prescribed cocodimol and talked about the possibility of surgery. 🙂