Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177411 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Shropshire
« Reply #750 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:26:23 pm »
Jogler, is it possible for Canardly and myself to meet up with you on Monday 4th at a location convenient to your good self. We will be having a long weekend of camping/touring employing a very loose / totally unplanned agenda.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #751 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »
I can do 4th June.
How close to Uttoxeter do you wish get? or otherwise ;D
I imagine you will wish to be within striking distance of home for Tuesday?

« Reply #752 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »
Can you reccomend a localish campsite, then we can ride back to Rutland on tha Tuesday.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #753 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »
I'm looking at this

http://www.cyclecamp.co.uk/findacampsite.html

& I'll give it some thought too.

I might stay over with yourselves on the Monday night

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #756 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
Conkers looks fine to me. Plenty of surrounding woodland for seekrit wild stuff should the site prove to be full.
Canardly and I will be lurking in the Peak over the weekend, so that is nicely on the way home. :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #757 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »
You must have read my mind regarding the secret wild thing.
Given that you are Peak-Lurking,& the Peaks are on my doorstep,do you wish to meet somewhere in the Uttoxeter/Ashbourne/Elsewhere area on Monday morning?
Or you may not?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #758 on: 04 June, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
The Baton is now in the custody of Loadsabikes & Canardly,residing tonight at the Camping & Caravan Club site at Conkers.
Loadsabikes has the photograph of the handover.

« Reply #759 on: 05 June, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »
Mr Smith & I were planning to ride over to Huntingdon next Sunday, any chance of an exchange there?

« Reply #760 on: 05 June, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

On the trig point at Beacon Hill

Ride report and more images of this weekend's baton collection mission to follow.

« Reply #761 on: 05 June, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »
Mr Smith & I were planning to ride over to Huntingdon next Sunday, any chance of an exchange there?
A distict possibility
Edit. Sorry, on checking the diary, I realise that I am in London next weekend. :-[

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in .Rutland
« Reply #762 on: 06 June, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
The original plan had been for Canardly and I to spend a four day long weekend on a camping trip to the Peak District with a baton collection from Jogler on Monday somewhere on our return journey.

However, Saturday proved to be unavailable for Canardly due to real life so we settled on a Sunday start with a proposed trip to the East Mids CTC rally.
Sunday arrived and a call from Canardly to say that he had overslept and would be an hour late. 1/2 hour later and a further call to report that it was tipping it down with a forcast for another 9 hours of rain and should we postpone untill Monday.
I re-fettled a route and arranged for us to meet Jogler at 'Conkers' the camping club site in the National Forest just west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch on Monday afternoon.
07-30 Monday and Canardly arrived at chez loads. Bikes loaded, this was to be Canardly's first ride with full touring kit, and we were off.
We took the lanes through Rutland and made a quick stop at Wing for an early coffee fix to kick start the metabolism.
On along the lanes to Knossington where we met a posse from Cycle+ who were out on a day ride. Greetings exchanged, we continued along traffic free lanes to Mountsorrell where we stopped for lunch at the Waterside Inn on the banks of the river Soare. We were kept entertained by the antics of boaters and their less than expert use of the lock.
We called in at Beaumanor Hall, the location for the CTC meet, but it was very quiet, I suspect they were all on a ride.
From Woodhouse Eaves, the road rises steadily for 2km at 8% to the top of Beacon Hill. This took it's toll on Canardly's legs and he was very glad to reach the summit.
It was then pretty much all down hill to Whitwick and Peggs Green where we joined the A512 for the short run into Ashby.
The campsite at Conkers is just 6km west of Ashby where we were greeted by Jogler who had been awaiting our arrival for quite some time.
The site wardens very kindly provided us with mugs of tea, they had kept the site office open for our arrival.
With the Baton handing over ceremony completed, Jogler set off for home and we went to pitch tents and drink coffee.
The site was busy but the facilities are good and well maintained.
There is a large YHA on the site and we were able to book breakfast there for the following morning.
Having showered and changed, we adjourned to the local pub, the Navigation. This was a family run affair, with only the family in it. The kitchen had closed for the day, but Ruth, the Landlady, happily rustled up plates of ham sandwiches so all was not lost. We were both flagging so returned to the site and took to our tents.
Tuesday morning, up early and tents packed, we were in the YHA by 7.30 tucking into cereal and full english. Good value at £4.95 per head.
The forecast was not good for today, but it was dry if chilly as we began to retrace our route. We made reasonable progress and stopped at Beacon Hill for a photo call and we hoped, tea. They charge £2.50 per car to get in and all you get is grubby toilets and a trig point! Not even a tea hut!
Never mind, a hurtle down yesterday's purgatory soon had us back at Quorn and Woodhouse Station on the old Great Central Railway where we enjoyed tea and sausage baps and were treated to the arrival of the 12.39 from Loughborough, a rather splendid steam locomotive. Oh! that wonderfull smell of hot oil.
From here we just pressed on for home, managing to dodge the rain untill Rutland Water so dry for all but the last 5km.
An out and return trip of the fairly lumpy variety but great scenery 178km in all. Good stuff.

« Reply #763 on: 06 June, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »
My physiotherapist says the damage is not permanent/   :smug:

« Reply #764 on: 06 June, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »
It's ok mate, you get to pick the next route!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #765 on: 06 June, 2012, 06:47:20 pm »
psssst,gotanypics?

« Reply #766 on: 06 June, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

Canardly checking out his next touring stead!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #767 on: 06 June, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »
I was "impressed" with the amount of kit you were both carrying for an over-night  stand.No wonder Canardly was almost  Can'tNoMore  ;)
In an effort to reduce the amount of kit carried by limiting the carrying capacity of the next bike may I suggest...a unicycle ;D

« Reply #768 on: 06 June, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
Huge fun even with the lumpy bits (and they were lumpy). Loadsa kept me stoked with thermo nuclear gels, powders and other bit of technical wizardry that my marmite soldiers would not provide. Great to meet Jogler again who had to lurk around for ages mainly due to me crawling up hills so thanks to him. To be met by friendly faces and a mug of tea, the site warden having stayed open until you get there, well what can I say. Well worth the puffing and panting and huge learning curve. Great camping location btw most impressed with facilities. The only technical we had was me losing a cleat screw causing said cleat to lock in pedal half way up a very big lump. YHA breakfast superb for £4.95 and staff great but not a hostel that I would recognise when younger (car park was full) bike facilities were limited (loadsbikes has a photo of some important detailing).  I now know that I can do it and will be much better prepared next time. As always good company makes these things hugely satisfying. P.s. the peeps round about that there Moira, Coalville  and environs are luverly. Every single cyclist we passed or were passed by had a greeting or words of encouragement and also people out in their gardens, walking their dogs etc. Fantastic. Ps forgot to mention Cycling Plus hello guys nice to meet you, also CTC midlands we did pop in to Beaumanor thanks for the response Ray maybe next year.

Has given food for thought for future forays. Jogler travelled a long way to deliver the baton. This forum is really something v special thinks.

Just for info.

At 248m (814 feet), Beacon Hill is the second highest point in Leicestershire and the site of a Bronze Age hill fort. A toposcope indicates landmarks that can be seen from the summit.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #769 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »
Have you or Loadsabikes moved the baton on?

LEE

« Reply #770 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »
Who is who, and where, in photo above ?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #771 on: 04 July, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
I'm wearing the yacf shirt & buff.The handsome one is Loadsabikes.Location was The Camping & Caravan Club site,National Forest at Overseal.

« Reply #772 on: 04 July, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »
Have you or Loadsabikes moved the baton on?

Not I. Loadsabikes has the said appendage safely secured in Rutlandshire thinks.

« Reply #773 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »
I think it may come this way next. Perhaps marcus could bring it over if he's coming arabella-wards.

(I nearly changed that for the shocking innuendo but then thought nah, isn't that what yacf is all about?)

« Reply #774 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
Unless it is absolutely tipping it down, I am heading down to Braintree tomorrow (Sunday).
Then up the Eastcoast monday, tuesday, wednesday.
Probably won't have web access so call me if anybody can make a meet to take the baton.
Likely to overnight Monday-----Polstead
Tuesday-----Kessingland
Wednesday-----Cromer

Subject to not drowning of course ;D