Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 24768 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Liverpool
« on: 27 December, 2019, 01:00:07 am »
Leicester 0- 4 Liverpool

OK. I have never been a great football fan but I have always taken an interest, at times more passing than others.

I don’t ever remember any team so dominant in every competition they take part in as the current Liverpool team.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2019, 08:21:13 am »
They’ve scored 500 goals since Koop took over
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2019, 09:37:15 am »
Dalglish McDermott et al were pretty big in their era too :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2019, 01:51:47 pm »
It's interesting hearing Liverpool fans of a certain age. For 25 years they've been telling everyone who would listen (and some who wouldn't!) that we would never see the likes of the Paisley sides again. They have changed their tune over the last year or so. I just about remember the side that Dalglish managed, and I genuinely think that this is the best Liverpool team ever.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:06:34 pm »
It's interesting hearing Liverpool fans of a certain age.
Oi!  >:(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:44:28 pm »
It's interesting hearing Liverpool fans of a certain age.
Oi!  >:(

As someone who watched Shankly's sides - Double Oi  >:(

Anyway the kids lost in the League cup so we still need to try harder.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2020, 09:37:29 pm »
They won today with a very young team and a magnificent goal scored by an 18 year old.

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:16:29 am »
Everton, aren't they?  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2020, 07:02:53 pm »
Klopp tried the same trick again today and came spectacularly unstuck, which is great to see.  I don't know why he is protecting so many players.  They could practically lose all their remaining matches and still win the League and the Champions League is always in the lap of the dogs.  Well done Shrewsbury.  How long can you hang on to Laurent?  After all, he's already played for Hartlepool, so Real and Barcelona (or Liverpool) will be knocking at the door......

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:20:56 pm »
I've just been watching what I assume are the official BBC highlights. There I was waiting for the equaliser and it had been brilliantly edited out, the score shown in the top LH corner seamlessly moving from 1 - 2 to 2 - 2  without any nets being disturbed.

Edit: I found another version with the goal in it. The first version may have been an accidental release or a bootleg. The "BBC" wossname was visible on the screen though.

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
We have no cover for the fullbacks, and losing VVD, Firmino or Salah (on top of Mane) for any length of time would have a massive impact. They have all played a huge amount of minutes this season. I don't think he should have brought any of the first teamers on either.
This was not an inexperienced team though - between them Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Fabinio, Minamino and Origi have a lot of caps, PL and CL minutes. They are all short of minutes recently, which might explain their rustiness. They won't play in the replay though, when the FA announced the winter break they insisted the club couldn't arrange any friendlies or other games.

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:48:15 pm »
Hmmm.  Your loyalty does something credit!

Liverpool are "world champions", European champions, Premier League runners-up and Champions elect.  Yet they haven't got any reserve fullbacks?  Who's running the scouting and the bank, then?  And while I can see that losing ALL of VVD, Firmino, Salah and Mane might be a problem, the odd one shouldn't be a problem.  I mean, Newcastle had nine, NINE first team players unavailable in the first match against high-flying Rochdale and still managed to score their equaliser first and hang on effortlessly for a draw (who knows what might have happened if they'd not been so effortless?).

No, Klopp underestimated the task, plain and simple!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:52:51 pm »
According to the Graun's website, Liverpool had 69% of the possession but Shrewsbury had 4 shots on target to Liverpool's 3, and 4 corners to Liverpool's 3. It makes you wonder why Liverpool were fannying around so much.

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:42:01 pm »
Hmmm.  Your loyalty does something credit!

Liverpool are "world champions", European champions, Premier League runners-up and Champions elect.  Yet they haven't got any reserve fullbacks?  Who's running the scouting and the bank, then?  And while I can see that losing ALL of VVD, Firmino, Salah and Mane might be a problem, the odd one shouldn't be a problem. 
No, Klopp underestimated the task, plain and simple!
Neco Williams and Larouci are the reserve fullbacks. The only other players to have played fullback this season are Milner (injured), Henderson (CM, massively in the red after playing every game since November) and Gomez (CB, has also played every game since November). Mane is already out - he twanged his hamstring against Wolves.

Klopp doesn't care about the FA Cup, neither do the ownership.  Neither do many of the fans (nor the Citeh fans it seems) - bigger fish to fry this year. He picked a more experienced side than against Everton though. Clearly he should have recognised that Shrewsbury are better than Everton.  ;D

Shrewsbury always play on the counter with 7 behind the ball - they did that against Accrington. That's probably why they had so little possession - the shot numbers are poor from both sides, as illustrated by the 6 and 11 shots off target...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 02 February, 2020, 08:24:29 am »
Liverpool now have more than twice as many points as the team in 5th place. That’s just greedy.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »
Crikey!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #16 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:08:18 pm »
I predicted that.

Sadly I didn't put any money on it.

Double sadly I was actually in Liverpool when it happened, not Vicarage Road.

« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
Double sadly I was actually in Liverpool when it happened, not Vicarage Road.

By sheer luck, I was there - mate of mine had the loan of two season tickets - just above the dugout - fantastic position.
I hadn't been over there for a few years, but it was just brilliant. Great atmosphere. The ground's looking pretty decent these days too.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2020, 12:07:54 pm »
 :thumbsup:

If I hadn’t been visiting HMS The Prince of Wales I’d probably have been able to use my brothers season ticket. Which is near the dugout!

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2020, 07:24:29 pm »
Man City lost to Man United.

I make that two wins needed now by Liverpool to lift the title or less if Man City lose or draw again.

There are only 10 matches left to play (9 for some teams including Liverpool) so a max of 30 points. Liverpool are already more than 30 points ahead of everyone bar Man City who are 25 behind with ten to play. Liverpool need six points from nine matches to be uncatchable.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2020, 07:32:29 pm »
I make that two wins needed now by Liverpool to lift the title or less if Man City lose or draw again.

Man City are playing twice (Arsenal on Wednesday, Burnley on Saturday, both at home) before Liverpool play next (away at Everton on Monday week) so it could theoretically be all done by the time Liverpool play. Even if not Liverpool might have a good chance of sealing it at Goodison Park.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2020, 07:34:45 pm »
Man City lost to Man United.

There are only 10 matches left to play (9 for some teams including Liverpool) so a max of 30 points. Liverpool are already more than 30 points ahead of everyone bar Man City who are 25 behind with ten to play. Liverpool need six points from nine matches to be uncatchable.
I confess to a small snigger about this. My bro-in-law is a card-carrying City supporter, sufficiently keen to have travelled to Madrid a week or two ago. He's a lovely chap, but oozes Smug, so I'm always quite pleased when City lose.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:17:57 am »
If the 2020 season does not resume, as now seems likely, will Liverpool be officially champions or will there be no official results? The same obviously applies to promotion and relegation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
I’d hope that they could be crowned champions, given they are so far ahead, and there would be no relegation.  :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:35:37 am »
I'd agree. But that effectively means freezing everything in current positions, which opens up all sorts of potential for arguments and bitterness in leagues where results are closer. OTOH if the season is voided, how will qualification for next year's Champions League be decided? I'm sure they'll make something up by then.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.