Author Topic: VGA & HDMI output  (Read 1955 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
VGA & HDMI output
« on: 21 April, 2019, 09:43:42 pm »
Just bought a new monitor (ViewSonic VX2776-SMHD ) that came with a VGA and HDMI cable - the PC is a Lenovo about 15 months old with VGA & HDMI outputs.

The monitor came without any sort of manual or set up guide and the online manual is confusing ... or at least to me it is!

Simply connecting the old VGA cable (from another Viewsonic monitor) to the new monitor works fine .......

So the question is : Should I just use that or HDMI or what?    My usage is purely web, email, Word, Excel, PC mapping (Memory Map) and some low-level graphics progs - no games or other stuff.

Rob

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: VGA & HDMI output
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:10:58 pm »
I've plugged a PC output via HDMI and also VGA into the same monitor and couldn't notice any difference, so I'd say carry on and not waste your money buying a new HDMI cable.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:17:40 pm »
HDMI (or DVI) is usually better quality than VGA.
It is all a digital signal, so avoids converting to analogue and back. Also less problems with interference etc, especially if using longer cables.
So it might look slightly sharper, and maybe better colours. Though you may not actually notice much difference.

Also HDMI can carry sound. So is useful if the monitors has built in speakers, or if you want to plug speakers/headphones into the monitor. Means you don't need a separate sound cable anyway.

HDMI cables are pretty cheap. As its all digital, no need for a fancy cable.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:18:21 pm »
I've plugged a PC output via HDMI and also VGA into the same monitor and couldn't notice any difference, so I'd say carry on and not waste your money buying a new HDMI cable.

That was my guess - although the monitor came with an HDMI cable in the box.

Thanks

Rob

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
HDMI (or DVI) is usually better quality than VGA.
It is all a digital signal, so avoids converting to analogue and back. Also less problems with interference etc, especially if using longer cables.
So it might look slightly sharper, and maybe better colours. Though you may not actually notice much difference.

Also HDMI can carry sound. So is useful if the monitors has built in speakers, or if you want to plug speakers/headphones into the monitor. Means you don't need a separate sound cable anyway.

HDMI cables are pretty cheap. As its all digital, no need for a fancy cable.

Ah - I'd replied as you did hence the out of sequence posts  ... perhaps I'll try the HDMI as I have the cable ... there is a separate audio cable for the built in speakers (although the sound is crap)

Rob

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2019, 06:05:09 am »
Use the HDMI.

You should not need the audio cable, HDMI carries audio too.
If the laptop has both analog audio and HDMI, then you will be able to select which device the sound goes out of.

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:51:38 am »
Use the HDMI.

You should not need the audio cable, HDMI carries audio too.
If the laptop has both analog audio and HDMI, then you will be able to select which device the sound goes out of.

Yep that seems to work with the HDMI cable and sound too without the audio cable (yet another cable to put in the "that may be useful" cable box!)

BTW, why does everyone assume all PCs are "laptops" .... mine's a good 'ol desktop - so much easier to fit an extra internal HDD etc and will probably last longer (I'm using two PCs with two monitors and a common keyboard and mouse - one PC is vintage 2010 and still going strong albeit at a slower pace than the 2018 machine)

Rob

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:26:26 am »
...why does everyone assume all PCs are "laptops" .... mine's a good 'ol desktop ...

A few years ago laptops surpassed desktops as the most purchased computers and you mentioned in the OP that yours is 15 months old. Maybe without further explanation one would wonder why a 15 month old desktop needs a new monitor, whereas a laptop screen may well benefit from a larger monitor when not being mobile.

Glad to hear that all is working well, Rob.

Ah - not all desktops come with a monitor - my newer machine (and indeed the older one) were both "box only" purchases using existing monitors - I wanted a bigger monitor (27") so have moved the monitors down the chain with the 21" demoted to the older machine and the 17" really old one put back in the loft "just in case"!!

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:44:06 am »
BTW, why does everyone assume all PCs are "laptops" .... mine's a good 'ol desktop - so much easier to fit an extra internal HDD etc and will probably last longer (I'm using two PCs with two monitors and a common keyboard and mouse - one PC is vintage 2010 and still going strong albeit at a slower pace than the 2018 machine)

Because that's what their computers are.  Especially if 3/4 of their income goes on renting a shoebox with nowhere to put a proper desk, but generally laptops are now cheap enough to be the computers of choice for people who don't care about computers.  And some of the people who do care about computers will be happy docking a laptop to a proper monitor, keyboard and mouse.