Author Topic: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma  (Read 16107 times)

Zoidburg

The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma
« on: 07 May, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »

Nigsy? Trigger? N-word dilemma bounces on for Dam Busters II -
            News, Films - The Independent

I am sure we have discussed this before some time in the past but I had forgotten about it until now, apparently this film is about to enter production at long last and they seem to have fimly got themsleves stuck on an obstacle that happens to be shaped like a black lab with a "slightly dodgy" name.

Leave it in and risk the wrath of the rainbow Naizis?

Leave it out and get accused of re-writing history in the well known Hollywood manner?

I think Peter Jackson may be as stumped as I am on the issue :-\

LEE

Re: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »
It should be fine as long as Samuel L Jackson plays Guy Gibson. 

It will sound pretty cool.

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2009, 04:33:58 pm »
It should be fine as long as Samuel L Jackson plays Guy Gibson. 

It will sound pretty cool.
*Face palm*

;)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2009, 04:54:33 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry Hans, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue. You were sayin' something about "der final solution"? What's the matter? Oh, y-you were finished? Oh, well allow me to retort!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ChrisO

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2009, 05:58:06 pm »
My son (12) watched the movie a few weeks ago when he was out here with me and he was clearly quite shocked by the name of the dog. He couldn't bring himself to even say it when he was asking me about it.

I think they should change it.

Yes it was the name of his dog and yes it was used as the codeword on the raid, but it isn't going to alter the essence of the story one bit to use a different word.

It's a word that 60 years later is deeply offensive to many people, especially used as the name of a dog.

Why distract from a story about ingenuity and bravery because of the name of a dog ?

P.S. If they f*ck with the music they're in such a world of pain that they could have had codenames n*gger, f*ggot and dyke mother-f*cker and still be better off.

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2009, 05:59:22 pm »
There's an easy way around the dilemma: don't bother re-making it.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:09:01 pm »
Keep the dogs name it's a historical fact and everyone knows the dogs name. Changing it would just be silly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »
Why have a dog in the film at all?

Just drop the dog part, problem solved.

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:34:14 pm »
Because Guy Gibson famously had a dog and it was also the Squadron mascot.

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
OK. Have a dog but never speak to it?

I never speak to my dogs...

ChrisO

« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:42:40 pm »
Yes but it gets killed the day of the raid, so it has to be part of the story. And also the name is used as the codeword for a successful attack.

However as for pcolbeck's assertion that "everyone knows the dogs name" on what basis do you make that statement ?

Plenty of people have never seen the movie and plenty more won't know the story, particularly in the US.

I don't see how changing the name makes any difference to the story. Any dramatisation must include some facts and leave out others. It's not a documentary.

« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
Why are we discussing historical context?

Lets face it by the time the film is finished the whole thing will be historically invalid.

We will learn how the americans designed the bomb, the technology, flew the aircraft and seduced the dog local women and all flew off into a sunset!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »
Just bleep its name whenever the dialogue requires it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:16:26 pm »
Yes but it gets killed the day of the raid, so it has to be part of the story. And also the name is used as the codeword for a successful attack.

However as for pcolbeck's assertion that "everyone knows the dogs name" on what basis do you make that statement ?

Plenty of people have never seen the movie and plenty more won't know the story, particularly in the US.
OK I should have said anyone who is British and over 35 (and hence has probably seen the fil about 10 times on Sunday afternoons) plus all those interested n WWII aviation. Also by the time the films released the media is bound to have been banging on about the change in the dogs name even in the US so everyone will be watching the film and every time the dog is mentioned they will be mentally saying "it's real name was Nigger".

« Reply #14 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:16:36 pm »
In a parallel universe far, far away, Guy Gibson has a golden retriever called Honky.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:17:13 pm »
In a parallel universe far, far away. Guy Gibson has a golden retriever called Honky.
New keyboard please this ones full of coffee :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #16 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:22:26 pm »
When ITV showed it 3 or 4 years ago, they just over dubbed it, so they had Richard Todd (as Guy Gibson) saying to the dog, "Come here", and then someone with a totally different voice and accent saying "Boy" instead of the dog's real name.  ::-)

Anyway, no doubt in the remake, the Germans win.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #17 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:26:26 pm »
There's an easy way around the dilemma: don't bother re-making it.

We have a winner!  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »
Because Guy Gibson famously had a dog and it was also the Squadron mascot.
And it's so obvious from the first time we see the dog that it's going to end up dead.

I can't bear to think what a disaster a Hollywood remake will be like. Like Cunobelin says, it'll turn out that the Americans were the masterminds behind the whole thing. I love the original film and I don't feel any need for a remake.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2009, 08:24:42 pm »
Just leave the fkin dog out of the story.

For all I know Ghandi had a pet poodle called Sambo but it's fairly irrelevant to the Ghandi story.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 07 May, 2009, 10:13:25 pm »
...though the correct spelling of his name is fairly relevant ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 07 May, 2009, 11:39:10 pm »
I can't bear to think what a disaster a Hollywood remake will be like. Like Cunobelin says, it'll turn out that the Americans were the masterminds behind the whole thing. I love the original film and I don't feel any need for a remake.

In fairness, with Peter Jackson directing, there's half a chance that it won't be a complete disaster. It's probably best not to imagine the results if Jerry Bruckheimer or worse, Roland Emmerich were at the helm. And thank your lucky stars that Mel Gibson had dropped the rights to the film.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Treewheeler

« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2009, 12:01:05 am »
Call 'im 'Black fella dog' like in the Bush mate.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:36:09 am »
It would stand no chance at all of being better than the remake a few years ago.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVSBtivbUs4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iVSBtivbUs4&rel=1</a>
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:47:05 am »
In fairness, with Peter Jackson directing, there's half a chance that it won't be a complete disaster.

I dunno. I still haven't forgiven him for the dwarf tossing and legolas shield surfing at Helm's Deep.