Author Topic: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma  (Read 16094 times)

Really Ancien

Re: The Dambusters Remake - Doggy Dilemma
« Reply #50 on: 12 May, 2009, 06:03:53 pm »
......then Hedy Lamarr (Keira Knightly) stows away on Guy Gibson's (Damian Lewis)  Lancaster to parachute into a top secret Nazi rocket factory to save her father (Liam Neeson) who's being forced to work on a wonder weapon.

Damon.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #51 on: 12 May, 2009, 07:16:00 pm »
But what part are you giving to Samuel L. Jackson?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Really Ancien

« Reply #52 on: 12 May, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »
He's the mentor of the young hot shot Afro-American pilot (Omar Epps), he flew the Atlantic before Lindbergh, but the story was suppressed, because Lindbergh (Ralph Fiennes) was a Grand Wizard in the Klu Klux Klan. (I hope Stephen Fry's getting this down, because it's box office gold.)

Damon.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #53 on: 12 May, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »
Surely he has to be Guy?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #54 on: 12 May, 2009, 08:54:47 pm »
No, he should be Barnes Wallis.

Actually, no.  Morgan Freeman should be Barnes Wallis.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #55 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »
He's the mentor of the young hot shot Afro-American pilot (Omar Epps), he flew the Atlantic before Lindbergh, but the story was suppressed, because Lindbergh (Ralph Fiennes) was a Grand Wizard in the Klu Klux Klan. (I hope Stephen Fry's getting this down, because it's box office gold.)

Damon.

Will there be snakes on any of the Lancaster Bombers?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #56 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:14:04 pm »
One of my best mates when I was living in Germany was a black American from Baltimore. Many of his friends were black ex-GIs, and as fellow English-speakers we 'hung out' together, as I believe they call it. They called each other 'nigger' all the time. But it wouldn't have felt right for me to start doing so. It wasn't that I have the PC terror of nice liberal Guardianistas squirming with terror at the prospect of being thought racist. I'm just not a member of that particular club, being white myself.

And I used to work with quadraplegics some of who habitually spoke of rasberries & cripples, but were a little sensitive to the words used by those with no physical disabilities.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #57 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
If you're a black GI from Baltimore, I expect that calling fellow Black GIs from Baltimore "nigger" would probably be the natural thing to do, in much the same way that white boys from Essex call each other "mate".

If you're a white middle class boy from the home counties, such as I am, it would sound rather odd, regardless of how friendly you were with those black GIs.

Talking of Baltimore, you don't ever see any of the white faces in The Wire use the word nigger, except one street dealer who is the archetypal "wigga" and very much a figure of ridicule. For that matter, nor do any of the black people in positions of authority in the show (cops, politicians, teachers, religious leaders) use the word, even though it is a word that is uttered frequently.

Again, it all comes down to context.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #58 on: 12 May, 2009, 11:30:29 pm »
... provides the inter-racial love interest with Hedy Lamarr

I think you meant Hedley Lamarr  :thumbsup:
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #59 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
You all missed the key plot change, which is that the idea for the bouncing bomb really came about from Samuel J.'s character's love of shooting hoops on the Harlem blacktop... everyone knows white men can't play basketball.

« Reply #60 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:17:33 am »

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf**king snakes on this motherf**king plane!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #61 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
the dog will undoubtedly be renamed "person of color"…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

LEE

« Reply #62 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:15:21 pm »

Guy Gibson of course.

"Sit down Nigger" won't sound quite as offensive if he says it, in fact it could be taken as a polite invitation to take a seat in some parlance.

He could then go and strike down those damns in furious anger.

Really Ancien

« Reply #63 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:25:14 pm »
As with any joke, there is a serious underlying point to be made. Interesting that prior to 1939 there was a colour bar in the RAF
The "colour bar" or nationality disqualification was removed in the RAF in 1939; prior to this, signing up was limited to "British subjects of pure European descent".

Heritage Royal Air Force museum showcases black and Asian pilots who battled for Britain |
            UK news |
            The Guardian

Damon.

« Reply #64 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »
Dam those motherf**ker damns!
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #65 on: 13 May, 2009, 03:17:12 pm »
One thing's for sure...  The remake will have better special effects for the water spray off the bomb explosions.  ;D

« Reply #66 on: 13 May, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »
There's an easy way around the dilemma: don't bother re-making it.

Gets my vote.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #67 on: 14 May, 2009, 12:48:09 am »
Other than this darn issue over the dog's name, I just want to know when Biggles, Algy and Ginger make an appearance.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #68 on: 14 May, 2009, 09:52:28 am »
As with any joke, there is a serious underlying point to be made. Interesting that prior to 1939 there was a colour bar in the RAF

Quite so. It's one of the reasons that I mentioned earlier that it would be a quite different 'history' should you chose to highlight such issues as opposed to the apparently simpler and more straightforward 'military history'...

Really Ancien

« Reply #69 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:47:07 am »

Quite so. It's one of the reasons that I mentioned earlier that it would be a quite different 'history' should you chose to highlight such issues as opposed to the apparently simpler and more straightforward 'military history'...

The irony of the Second World War was that the British Empire went into it as a system founded on ideas of racial superiority, but it was only able to defeat more ruthless exponents of that doctrine, in Germany and Japan, by dismantling those racial barriers. The impact of the largest volunteer army the world has ever seen, raised in India and what became Pakistan, is rarely acknowledged. 50,000 Indian Army soldiers fought in Italy in WW2, nearly 6,000 died. They're still remembered in Italy, http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/27256/Editorial/18/20/18  It's ironic that the current BNP election literature focusses so much on the rights we have fought for without any real appreciation of the actual history, but rather through the rear view mirror of nostalgic black and white movies.

Damon.

LEE

« Reply #70 on: 14 May, 2009, 01:46:29 pm »

The irony of the Second World War was that the British Empire went into it as a system founded on ideas of racial superiority, but it was only able to defeat more ruthless exponents of that doctrine, in Germany and Japan, by dismantling those racial barriers. The impact of the largest volunteer army the world has ever seen, raised in India and what became Pakistan, is rarely acknowledged. 50,000 Indian Army soldiers fought in Italy in WW2, nearly 6,000 died. They're still remembered in Italy, http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/27256/Editorial/18/20/18  It's ironic that the current BNP election literature focusses so much on the rights we have fought for without any real appreciation of the actual history, but rather through the rear view mirror of nostalgic black and white movies.

Damon.

I heard that the BNP aren't fond of Black & White movies

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #71 on: 14 May, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
I heard that the BNP aren't fond of Black & White movies

They have trouble with pianos and zebra crossings too...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #72 on: 14 May, 2009, 07:24:49 pm »
The impact of the largest volunteer army the world has ever seen, raised in India and what became Pakistan, is rarely acknowledged. 50,000 Indian Army soldiers fought in Italy in WW2, nearly 6,000 died.

Whilst possibly some of the public might not be aware, I remember it from my history lessons 29 years ago, and it is covered in some detail in the current National Curriculum in Year 11.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #74 on: 10 June, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
I heard Stephen Fry talking about this on the radio last week. This has probably been mentioned upthread already but he mentioned that the dog's name was also used as a codeword for the operation.

In the original film, the dog's death was portrayed as a hit-and-run incident but Fry also pointed out that in reality the driver stopped at the scene and brought the dog's body back to the base.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."