Author Topic: [LEL17] Rider lessons for 2021  (Read 6075 times)

Re: Rider lessons for 2021
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2017, 08:06:26 pm »
- Have a non-scenic route for the ride south already plotted and saved, for when you're out of time / riding at night.

I know it's within the rules but is it common practice to make your own route between controls even if that results in an easier and/or faster time?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »
- Have a non-scenic route for the ride south already plotted and saved, for when you're out of time / riding at night.

I know it's within the rules but is it common practice to make your own route between controls even if that results in an easier and/or faster time?
I don't know the % but quite a few riders coming into Spalding from the north were not following the route. I /think/ this might have been particularly common among the faster continental riders.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2017, 10:49:46 pm »

And open the 'can of worms' regarding how AUK interprets ACP regulations for BRM events!  There is a comparison of regulations here:

http://www.aukweb.net/_resources/files/official/A_comparison_of_ACP-BRM_and_AUK-BR_Regulations_2014.pdf

Article 8 answers your question and it maybe that taking a different route might have made the event longer, e.g. a main road when quiet, but was faster due to the nature of the road. Might have even been safer if the actual route was down narrow lanes with water filled potholes or loose under the rain sodden roads.

« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:11:13 pm »

It more-or-less depends upon the rider. All you need do is look at a map - the official route is one that will work for anyone, anytime, as it avoids shit A-roads, dodgy crossings, rough lanes and all the other fun of riding in the UK (where possible). But we're all adults as riders, and we can make our own decisions on routes.

Some people will be happy to follow the route - and TBH, it'll be a more social ride, as you won't get to chat with other riders much if you flog along the A10, A19 or whatever - but the alternatives are available to anyone.

« Reply #29 on: 06 August, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »

On most audaxes it isn't worth it, but LEL seems to have lots of entirely optional climbing that can be avoided with little distance penalty, particularly the Howardian Hills and the Lincolnshire Wolds. If you're riding at night or desperate for time or you've seen the scenery on the way up, there's not a lot of point.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #30 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
Another thing - if they still fit I'll be wearing my YACF jerseys. I'm sorry I didn't recognise you Graham. I was Marcus, one of the volunteers at Thirsk. We've had a few forum members through I didn't recognise.

Hi Marcus, I saw you directing traffic in and out of Thirsk on my way south, it wouldn't have been an ideal place or time for either of us for to stop and say hello, so I'll say hello now instead, and many thanks for volunteering. I'm Ben from the 200 km on Mull earlier this year. 
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.