Author Topic: GPX Editor Format Issue - SOLVED  (Read 1628 times)

GPX Editor Format Issue - SOLVED
« on: 07 May, 2016, 10:05:46 am »
I am using GPX Editor or to plan a LEJOG trip this June, and a colleague will be using it to log and collate my rides.  She has been practising this, but having a problem with saving edited rides as gpx files:

Thanks for these additional instructions. I have given it a go and managed to join the routes and get rid of the segments. But when I press "save just this", it saves as an XML document on my system which will not then reload onto the GPX Editor. I can't work out how to save it as a GPX file.

I normally use a Debian Linux system, and my colleague is using Windows (though I don't know which version yet, I'm afraid).  I have also tried things out on a Windows Professional 7 system with no problem, using both 'Save just this' and 'Save all as GPX file'.

Does anyone have an idea about the cause of my colleague's problem?  Is the problem likely to reside within GPX Editor or within Windows, or perhaps an interactive phenomenon?

Could she perhaps just get round it by renaming the XML document 'Blah Blah.gpx' instead?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: GPX Editor Format Issue
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2016, 10:19:13 am »
Yes, just rename it.

Internet Explorer has an irritating habit of looking inside the file you are downloading and deciding it knows best.
It sees the gpx file as xml and renames it.
At least be happy that I'd doesn't molest the contents of the file!

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2016, 10:27:29 am »
Many thanks, Feanor!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2016, 12:33:13 pm »
In Windows, check that the option to hide file extensions is turned off (on Control Panel, Folder Options). Otherwise it can be confusing what files are actually named.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:30:03 pm »
Yes, just rename it.

Internet Explorer has an irritating habit of looking inside the file you are downloading and deciding it knows best.

If Ben adds the below http response header, it should stop this IE behaviour, providing it is not a too old a version of the browser.

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:35:25 pm »
Yes, just rename it.

If Ben adds the below http response header, it should stop this IE behaviour, providing it is not a too old a version of the browser.

That is the most wonderful option :-)

nosniff.

nosniff nosniff nosniff.

I'm still laughing.

nosniff :-)

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2016, 11:13:11 pm »
Yes, just rename it.

That is the most wonderful option :-)

nosniff.

nosniff nosniff nosniff.

I'm still laughing.

nosniff :-)

Indeed Internet Exolorer decided your file smelt like  XML....

Ben T

Re: GPX Editor Format Issue - SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:26:57 am »
I can't seem to get IE to rename downloaded files to .xml, however I've added the header nonetheless.

"sniff" - euphemism for "I'll ignore what you've told me to do and go my own sweet way instead" ?
Why do you need to be told not to ignore what I've told you to do and to do what you think is best ?   ::-) ::-):demon: