Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463496 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2925 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
A friend of mine is severely sight impaired, affecting his central vision so reading is difficult.

He is having amazing trouble trying to get his GP surgery staff to stop constantly being disablist dicks to him. His file is supposed to flag to staff that he's sight impaired.

Friend: "Hi, can you tell me where Dr X's office is please for my appointment"
Receptionist (looking at his file as he's just checked in): There's name labels on all the doors.
Friend: "My file should tell you I don't see well. Can you tell me in words where the doctor's office is?"
Receptionist: "You'll need to look at the door labels"
Friend: *EXPLODE*

Or

Staff: *Hands paper with small text on it"
Friend: "I can't read that, can you email it to me as a Word document please?"
Staff: "Oh we can read it to you" (often in front of the entire fucking waiting room)
Friend: "No thanks, I want to read it for myself so I can remember it and I use my own format. Please email word document"
Staff: "We can't do email, it's too hard"
Friend: *EXPLODE*

Makes me very grateful that my GPs are actually excellent, are one of the few to reference the Accessible Information Standard on their website and have a decent practice manager.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2926 on: 07 October, 2019, 09:15:00 pm »
Makes me very grateful that my GPs are actually excellent, are one of the few to reference the Accessible Information Standard on their website and have a decent practice manager.

Indeed.  I haven't had the heart to raise the issue of the prolifieration of socket-safety-feature-defeation devices in their waiting room.

« Reply #2927 on: 08 October, 2019, 02:02:42 pm »
Hopefully going home tomorrow.

Well, they didn't let me go on Saturday after all, but I finally escaped last night. So good to be home where the food has actual taste and there isn't a constant hum of machinery and beeping! :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2928 on: 08 October, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »
:thumbsup:

...and the breakfast trolley rattling past your door an hour before it reaches you.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2929 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »
We're changing GPs with the move and their questionnaire (having established I'm a standard resident of County Durham by asking about my smoking, drinking and COPD) asked if I'd had any hospital inpatient treatment. And gave a whole line to give dates and details. I wrote 'yes'.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2930 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »
:thumbsup:

...and the breakfast trolley rattling past your door an hour before it reaches you.

Or one's room in the recovery ward was directly opposite the kitchen, and you were allowed nil by mouth :-(

« Reply #2931 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:06:27 pm »
Went to see the GP this am about the dull pain from my balls. Apparently it's quite common for men to request a female Dr to inspect their privates, well, that's what she told me. Anyhow, everything looks in good shape, size and in position. I have experienced no pain since I last wrote here.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2932 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:33:38 pm »
GP surgery have just phoned inviting David for a flu jab, some 24 hours after he had one there.
I Am Not Impressed!

BrianI

« Reply #2933 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:44:09 pm »
Work is offering all their staff free flu vaccinations through a local chain of pharmacies.  I wonder if they are doing it to benefit their staff? Or doing it to reduce staff off sick with flu?  ???

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2934 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:56:20 pm »
Work is offering all their staff free flu vaccinations through a local chain of pharmacies.  I wonder if they are doing it to benefit their staff? Or doing it to reduce staff off sick with flu?  ???
If posties are at risk of flu, perhaps because they come into contact with a wide range of people, then preventing them getting flu means they won't be ill either at work or at home. So how do you differentiate?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2935 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:04:28 pm »
Posties make great flu vectors. Vaccinating them makes sense. Same goes for bus drivers and anyone else who deals with the public in large numbers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2936 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
Also a good, probably better, point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2937 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:37:01 pm »
I expect the cost of flu vaccines compares favourably to the cost of disciplinary procedures and similar HR processes in the event of some employees getting properly ill[1].  It's just sound business sense.

[1] Given that flu tends to be nastier in the young and fit, this makes even more sense for posties.

BrianI

« Reply #2938 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:08:45 pm »
I expect the cost of flu vaccines compares favourably to the cost of disciplinary procedures and similar HR processes in the event of some employees getting properly ill[1].  It's just sound business sense.

I'm probably going to get the flu vaccination anyway, considering I'm already on a stage 1 attendance warning due being off following my laparotomy surgery in July...

[1] Given that flu tends to be nastier in the young and fit, this makes even more sense for posties.

« Reply #2939 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:16:38 pm »
I had mine earlier in the week.  No side effects.  I paid to have it done in Boots near my office rather than try for a GP appointment which have meant a longer wait & a train journey.

They were pushing Pneumonia vaccination as well  ???   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2940 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »
Postal delivery staff are probably at LESS risk than many, if they are mainly outdoors and NOT mixing with the General Public in confined spaces like buses or classrooms.

Flu could be nastier for outdoor workers so protection makes sense.

« Reply #2941 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:47:09 pm »
I paid for mine last year--£7. At that price it wouldn't take many days not off sick to pay for a large number of staff to have them.

This year Asda (work's 'corner shop' aren't doing the low risk one at the moment and couldn't say when or if they would be).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2942 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
My work normally offers the flu jab (or jag, as they call it round here ???) free to staff as well. I've never bothered taking up the offer, though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2943 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:25:13 pm »
'Jag' seems to be colloquial in Scotland. South of Hadrian's Wall, I suspect a healthcare worker picked it up and spread it...

« Reply #2944 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:20:26 pm »
It's been confirmed that I have got arthritis in my left knee. I am told that the plan is to control the pain as long as possible as the operation s only work for 10 years and the doctors says that I will need 3 of them  :o. She must think that I look young for my age  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2945 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:22:55 pm »
Well that's one for each knee and then...

I hope they manage to contain the pain and perhaps most importantly keep you mobile.

barakta

« Reply #2946 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:52:41 pm »
It's been confirmed that I have got arthritis in my left knee. I am told that the plan is to control the pain as long as possible as the operation s only work for 10 years and the doctors says that I will need 3 of them  :o. She must think that I look young for my age  ;D

I hope they have some good ideas about managing your pain.

I've been told I have arthritis in my left shoulder, both elbows and probably my right wrist. No surgery is possible other than joint fusion which everyone agrees is too much at the moment.

I am about to start celecoxib which is a COX2 inhibitor for the shoulder. I had to delay it to see what impact the hip steroid injections had (TLDR: fuck all, possibly worse than before). I've also been offered a nerve block injection for an area near my left shoulder and am allowed to use diazepam occasionally 'as needed' which is helpful.

So if you've tried the usual NSAIDs, DO ask about cox2s and indeed occasional diazepam as options. GP might be up for those.

« Reply #2947 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:26:50 pm »
10 years is on the low side for knee replacements
https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-long-do-knee-replacements-last-2549612 is much more what I would expect.
Did you see an orthopaedic surgeon or a physio?
Even if the x-ray says arthritis that does not necessarily mean that painkillers or surgery are the only options.

barakta

« Reply #2948 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:07:36 pm »
Cycleman, I agree with ChrisBainbridge about seeing a surgeon given your specific history and spinal injury stuff and the balance of mobility now v mobility later etc. 

My arthritis stuff was assessed by consultant surgeons x2 before "nowt we can do surgically" was decided, and Pain Management bods have plans A B and C starting with improving my meds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2949 on: 10 October, 2019, 01:37:24 pm »
Lurgy.  Fuck off.

(This is what I get for going to the GP's on Monday.)