Author Topic: Garmin EDGE 800 Replacement  (Read 5725 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Garmin EDGE 800 Replacement
« on: 24 July, 2019, 10:22:53 am »
It's had a dicky USB connection for a while, and today the on/off swicth disintegrated.  I've bodged a repai with a pencil rubber and electricians tape, but I think the writing is on the wall.

The direct replacement woudl seem to be the Edge 830, I hev a coupel of q's that I hope can be answered here
1) appears to be micro USB rather than the full sized USB of the 800?
2) is there an external card slot for my maps or do they need to be loaded to the internal memory?  Are my current Garmin maps compatible?
4) Real world battery life?
3) is it any good?  I assume it has all of the usual garmin foibles?

If you use something else, what would you recommend? I'm pretty much wedded to the Garmin environment now, so all my secondary sensors are ANT+, and my turbo is ANT+ and Blue tooth
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Garmin EDGE 800 Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
The 530/830 look pretty nice but I don't know how buggy they've proved to be?  You might want to research that before buying.

If they do turn out to still be in the betaalpha test phase, the Wahoo units are all compatible with Ant+ too so you won't have a problem with that.  For instance, I'm currently using my first gen Elemnt with a Garmin HRM.

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2019, 12:11:53 pm »
My 800 let me down so I replaced it with a 1030.  I do not feel able to recommend anything because I use GPS so very seldom.  However, my observations in answer to your questions and so on--
1) Micro USB, which did not please me very much at all with views to longevity.
2) External card reader slot - yes.

Things I like - larger screen that seems to be easier to read in the sunshine, although I've not tried it in direct and very bright sunshine.
Other - the mapping included seems to be all of western Europe and based on OSM, so I suppose I don't really need the other maps on my plug in card.  Inbuilt mapping can be updated through Garmin Express.  Menus are perhaps more intuitive than the 800, but that is intuitive in Garmin's understanding.

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2019, 01:19:30 pm »
My 800 let me down so I replaced it with a 1030.  I do not feel able to recommend anything because I use GPS so very seldom.  However, my observations in answer to your questions and so on--
1) Micro USB, which did not please me very much at all with views to longevity.
2) External card reader slot - yes.

Things I like - larger screen that seems to be easier to read in the sunshine, although I've not tried it in direct and very bright sunshine.
Other - the mapping included seems to be all of western Europe and based on OSM, so I suppose I don't really need the other maps on my plug in card.  Inbuilt mapping can be updated through Garmin Express.  Menus are perhaps more intuitive than the 800, but that is intuitive in Garmin's understanding.

What's your dislike of micro USB?  It's a massive step on from the mini-USB that's on the 800 and has very dodgy contacts. It's not USB-C, but not many devices are yet.

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2019, 01:39:37 pm »
What's your dislike of micro USB?
Size phobia and it takes more of a shove to mate it.  Of course you could read that as mating is more positive.

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2019, 03:50:30 pm »
If you use an external battery, consider Garmin's system which will be much more reliable and weather resistant than the USB port.

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2019, 05:36:13 pm »
The whole reason Micro USB was invented was to be more reliable than Mini USB. If implemented properly of course...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:53:08 pm »
What's your dislike of micro USB?
Size phobia and it takes more of a shove to mate it.  Of course you could read that as mating is more positive.

Yeahbut with MicroUSB the springy bit is in the plug, whereas in MiniUSB it's in the socket.  Makes it much cheaper to replace when it b0rks.  Main advantage of Mini is that it's more visually obvious which way up it's supposed to be.  (USB-C wins in this respect.)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:22:45 am »
I went 530 and its been great so far. I have had no bugs etc and the screen is much, much better. It also has the option of using the garmin extended battery that fits underneath.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
Micro usb is much harder to get in the slot the right way round. It’s almost like they knew that usb c was coming and decided to have one last hurrah of forced, wrongly inserted plugs.
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:17:29 am »
I went 530 and its been great so far. I have had no bugs etc and the screen is much, much better. It also has the option of using the garmin extended battery that fits underneath.

How's the mapping/routing on it for audax?  I have the additional maps on my 800 on an SD card, which I don't think the 530 will accomodate.

menthel

« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

How's the mapping/routing on it for audax?  I have the additional maps on my 800 on an SD card, which I don't think the 530 will accomodate.

There are 2 types of road maps as well as off road ones too. I haven't audaxed it yet but do follow rides I have mapped with ridewithgps and the map quality is excellent. As good as the maps I had downloaded for the 800.

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:50:30 am »
You're selling it well ;)

menthel

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:59:13 am »
You're selling it well ;)

You can get it at the moment with a free case and a £50 prepaid credit card...

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
that was a good choice, I like it.  And the maps are definitely good enough for Audax.  Kind of reminds me of my old 920XT in the way you access the menus.  Need to get used to how hard to press the buttons though as it didn't register a lap earlier today.

« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2019, 06:47:18 am »
that was a good choice, I like it.  And the maps are definitely good enough for Audax.  Kind of reminds me of my old 920XT in the way you access the menus.  Need to get used to how hard to press the buttons though as it didn't register a lap earlier today.

There are reports on the Garmin forum of button issues with an early production batch, if you have more button problems you should get it exchanged, it is a know problem

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/165029/is-anyone-really-happy-with-their-edge-530-buttons-sensors-features

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/169865/buttons-won-t-properly-work

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/162806/soft-back-button-press

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:29:13 am »
I've seen reports elsewhere as well about the "back" button in particular.  I this case I think it may have been user error as I have it mounted slightly oddly on the recumbent.  I will play some more and see how I get on.

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:02:02 am »
This is an interesting thread. I've been trying to work out whether it's worthwhile updating my Edge Touring Plus, which is, I think, of the same generation as the Edge 800. On the whole I think it's still fine for Audax, but I'm developing more enthusiasm for activity/mileage tracking after being bought a wrist tracker (for walking etc.), and because my club runs a low-key competition just for fun.

So, whilst I looked at the 530 and 830, I'm thinking that something simpler, such as a 130 or even a 25, might be better to have routinely on the handlebars for utility riding. More affordable too. But thoughts welcome.

menthel

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »

Good to hear, I like mine too. Happy I replaced the 800 with the 530.

I actually have 2 garmins, a 530 when I need maps etc and a 130 for when I know where I am going. The 130 is smaller and just does the simple things for when I am pottering round Richmond Park or would be perfect for a commute. It is also cheaper which is good as I have a tendency since headbutting a van to forget things on bikes...

« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:14:01 pm »
This is an interesting thread. I've been trying to work out whether it's worthwhile updating my Edge Touring Plus, which is, I think, of the same generation as the Edge 800. On the whole I think it's still fine for Audax, but I'm developing more enthusiasm for activity/mileage tracking after being bought a wrist tracker (for walking etc.), and because my club runs a low-key competition just for fun.

So, whilst I looked at the 530 and 830, I'm thinking that something simpler, such as a 130 or even a 25, might be better to have routinely on the handlebars for utility riding. More affordable too. But thoughts welcome.

I think there is a Garmin wheel speed and distance device which has some inbuilt storage and which downloads automatically over WiFi???
Dcrainmaker seems to mention it recently where he has automatically logged all his utility cycle trips.

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:46:46 pm »
I have a Fenix 2 which I use for the simple shopping or pottering trips where I'm less interested in seeing things like HR and cadence

« Reply #21 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:33:48 pm »
I think there is a Garmin wheel speed and distance device which has some inbuilt storage and which downloads automatically over WiFi???
Dcrainmaker seems to mention it recently where he has automatically logged all his utility cycle trips.
That's interesting, thanks. I think you probably mean the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. There must be a strong case for a small gadget that just logs activity, and arguably you don't need a screen if the data are going to be transferred to Garmin Connect on your phone. The wheel sensor is logical - avoids recording 80mph journeys when you put the bike on a train and forget to turn off the recording!

However, it's not ideal if you're having to remove it regularly for charging or to swap it between bikes (much harder than a quarter-turn mount), and my Brompton has large hubs front (dynamo) and rear (3-speed), which would give some challenges according to the article.

Good suggestion though.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #22 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:12:45 pm »
That's interesting, thanks. I think you probably mean the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. There must be a strong case for a small gadget that just logs activity, and arguably you don't need a screen if the data are going to be transferred to Garmin Connect on your phone. The wheel sensor is logical - avoids recording 80mph journeys when you put the bike on a train and forget to turn off the recording!

However, it's not ideal if you're having to remove it regularly for charging or to swap it between bikes (much harder than a quarter-turn mount), and my Brompton has large hubs front (dynamo) and rear (3-speed), which would give some challenges according to the article.

Good suggestion though.
I've not seen that before, that's rather neat. The original speed sensor can last a year on a CR2032 battery, hopefully that is similar. So don't need to remove it too often. And cheap enough that you could buy one for each bike.
Depends on whether you care about GPS data for Strava etc.

ElyDave

« Reply #23 on: 17 August, 2019, 06:19:28 am »
thats interesting, I have the previous version of those, and the battery life is nowhere near as good as the previous GSC combined sensor. they seem to just stop working when the battery voltage drops. I did take some readings, but can't remember offhand, though it didn't seem to be much below the nominal 1.5v

« Reply #24 on: 17 August, 2019, 09:19:19 am »
I'm not interested in Strava (never been able to figure out who would care about me posting rides there!) GPS can be interesting to remember where I went, although a large proportion of my riding is repeated utility rides (e.g. the same commuting run). However, I think the idea of something without a screen is sound. Maybe a little box that clipped into your quarter-turn mount and did GPS, distance and speed but not too much else? Then let it synchronise to Connect for viewing.

Probably no market though, because the 25 is quite cheap.