Author Topic: Olives!  (Read 4737 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Olives!
« on: 17 September, 2018, 11:28:43 am »
The small olive trees in the garden have loads of fruit on them that is ripening to a fine black/purple. What the bloody hell can you do with them?

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Olives!
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:54:42 am »
I believe you can eat them.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

menthel

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
After weeks of mucking about I think. Has anyone here been through those steps?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2018, 02:49:56 pm »
Don't you need to pickle them for AGES?

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »
Alternatively you could take them along to your local co-operative owned olive pressing facility and extract the oil from them.  I believe that is what they do in Italy and Spain.

I once saw a TV prog about "proper" food vs the equivalent made by vast conglomerates.  Olives was one example they used.  The large company in Spain used something horrible like peroxide to soak them in for several weeks to make them edible, the small farm in South Africa soaked them for months and months in brine (I think) the best bit was when the reporter asker the farmer if he could pick one to try.  The farmer turned to a group of women who were picking nearby and announced "ladies: this gentlemen wishes to try one of our olives!" the women collapsed in giggles;  The reporter picked an olive, put it in his mouth and immediately spat it out in disgust.

menthel

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »
 :P

Given my location I think we are more likely to have Kimchi co-ops than olive co-ops!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2019, 09:35:54 pm »
They are basically inedible unless soaked in alkali or brine for a long time. They're one of those "who worked out you could eat them?" things.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.