Author Topic: Editing MSAccess db in Excel  (Read 1474 times)

Editing MSAccess db in Excel
« on: 06 January, 2009, 12:15:47 pm »
My mileage log database is in MSAccess.  I'm really happy with this for data entry and storage so don't want to change it.

I have an Excel spreadsheet for detailed analysis of the data which reads the core essentials from one table in the database.  Again I'm really happy with this and don't want to change anything.

However, I caught up over Christmas and keyed in the last 8 months worth of mileage that I'd just been noting down in a handy notebook  :-[.   Unfortunately I'd been lazy so many of the entries don't have a date or reason. 

A few of the additional columns in the excel sheet have error checking formulas in them, and it's really easy to see which rides are the morning commute, evening commute, or have a data entry typo (51.5mph average speed?  I'd say 15.5 is more like it).

Is there any way of amending the OLE DB Query so that it enables me to write back into the database table directly from Excel?  At the moment all I can do is note the incorrect details on a piece of paper, close excel, then open the database; this is due to the table locking preventing both applications having access to it, and is a pain.