Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 15701 times)

Re: Chillies
« Reply #50 on: 20 February, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »
I managed to get four Monkeyface and one Chocolate to grow but am having problems with them being very attractive to greenfly in either place I've had them in the house.

I've been spraying them with dilute washing up liquid as I see them, but they're not doing right well. Any suggestions on how to keep the buggers off?

The last two years we grew several chillies on the shelf in our verandah we also had a few epazote  plants as well and did not seem to have much of a greenfly problem, whereas before that we did. We put into down to the odour of the herb (camphor/turpentine), but have not gone as far as to do proper trials yet!

Can I ask what you do with your epazote once it's grown Graculus? Is it for cooking with?
We're going to try some alongside the chillies we hope to do better with than last year.

4 varieties were started at the weekend in a heated propagator with a fifth for march sowing.

« Reply #51 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:23:18 pm »
Sorry for delay in reply, longers, I haven't looked in Grow Your Own for a while.
The website of the supplier I bought the epazote (and chilli) seeds from

http://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/

suggests Mexican dishes like beans and salsas.

However I don't think we,ve ever got round to using it in cooking, Mrs graculus sampled it and reckoned it tasted like creosote; I have to admit it is a fairly strong taste.

« Reply #52 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »
^ don't worry, it took me long enough to ask the question, a couple of days didn't matter much!

We'd got the seeds from Seaspring and I'll report back if we eat any of it, plus how good it is at keeping the greenflies off.