Author Topic: plants to plant this late  (Read 2032 times)

plants to plant this late
« on: 26 July, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
What can I plant now (or in a week or two) that will grow over winter?

About half of the dug over section of my allotment has nothing planted in it. I regularly hoe it, just to stop weeds getting established again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: plants to plant this late
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2012, 11:44:34 am »
You can sow chinese greens, early varieties of carrot, french beans, winter hearting cabbage, kale, sprouting broccoli, later in August turnips, then in September over-wintering onion sets, spring hearting cabbages, spinach and lamb's lettuce.
How about trying to grow new potatoes for your Christmas dinner

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »
cheers.

Erm, the beans and carrots - are these for over wintering?

The beans I sowed nearly two months ago haven't really come to anything. It's been too wet and overcast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »
I was watching Gardeners' World on iPlayer last night and Monty planted carrots and french beans because his earlier plantings came to nothing, I can't remember what he said about when they would be harvested. I put some more carrots and beans in a couple of weeks ago and they are growing strongly, my previous plantings were a bit rubbish. I think the beans will be harvested from mid Sept onwards and I always just pick carrots as they come good.

We are only growing in containers this year as the place we are renting has no plantable garden surface (gravel, concrete and decking only).

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »
Well if Monty was having problems, I don't feel so bad.  ;D

I can grow mint really well this year. Just about nothing else tho'  :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2012, 08:11:45 pm »
Carrots & French beans will crop this year - the beans won't stand the frost.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...