Author Topic: The Cambrian Classic  (Read 25837 times)

Re: The Cambrian Classic
« Reply #125 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:23:19 am »
You're all seriously intrepid, brilliant stuff. (I've only been once past Staylittle on an event - John Hamilton's "Wrekin to Sea" - but can appreciate the descriptions, for which thanks.)

« Reply #126 on: 04 April, 2016, 11:55:12 am »
You're all seriously intrepid, brilliant stuff. (I've only been once past Staylittle on an event - John Hamilton's "Wrekin to Sea" - but can appreciate the descriptions, for which thanks.)

seriously knackered too  ::-) even though avoided `delights` of Llani > Staylittle round 2 return by taking the delightful Hafren Forest lane instead  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #127 on: 04 April, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
Great riding with Andy and Paul.  Also, rode Katie who was very strong on the hill and the hill , she disappeared at the end over the hills and common.

Also, forget how heard this ride in March and how the hills on the way back are more difficult that the way out,

Thank you for fantastic organisation, Daryl, Luke and Mrs Daryl,

Route sheet perfect, will be back and no rain next time,

Joolz

« Reply #128 on: 04 April, 2016, 04:51:48 pm »
Thank you to all our riders for making it another memorable edition of The Cambrian, it was our pleasure to host you all again!  Despite the unexpectedly soggy start, those that persevered were rewarded with a sunny afternoon and evening finish!

The first finisher on the 200km route had an outrageously fast time given the conditions and a new course record to boot! Bravo!

However, the notorious Welsh weather and mountain roads did claim some victims! In total 9 riders DNF'd, largely due to a combination of cold wet weather and/or mechanicals (rear mechs, spokes, chains, tyres to name a few!).  A convoluted train ride back to the Arrivee was their consolation prize!  One rider even chewed through an entire set of new brake pads  :o

Unfortunately two riders succumbed to the Llanbister cattle grid, which is horribly slippery in the wet.  I hope you heal up fast chaps.

Provisonal results are up at:
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=16-260
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=16-449
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=16-154

see you next year

Daryl

« Reply #129 on: 04 April, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »
I did note a certain rider speeding back down from Vaughan climb whilst I was heading up to Mach, so that puts him about 4 hours ahead of me  :o

re cattle grids---on a certain Sportive around Exmoor I`ve seen the  hard way that trying ride up a 15% wet grid is not a good idea either, indeed now they put a carpet over it  :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #130 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »
I came off at the cattle grid too. I been over countless grids in all weathers, but this one got me. I approached it very nervously, which was probably my undoing. I landed on the soft muddy verge and didn't get hurt but my expensive Castelli jacket now has mudstains all down one side - after wearing it for only 3 hours!

I didn't eat enough before the first control, then I ate too much at the first control. Feeling wet, cold, tired and little shaken, I decided to DNF. Just as well, as my chain broke on the approach to the station. The scenery from the train was also nice.

Can we have a carpet over the grids next time please? And a mattress.  ;D

Cars! In my bike lane.

« Reply #131 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:32:27 pm »
I did this ride last year but this year failed dismally as my legs went on strike after climbing out of Mac.  Fortunately I was rescued by Mrs F who had come for the weekend to visit cider museums.  Unfortunately she was much close than I thought so I was only able to consume very limited quantities of draft Bass in Llanidloes whilst waiting. :P
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #132 on: 22 January, 2017, 03:14:44 pm »
Bump

It's that time of year when the Welsh mountain road starts calling! As promised, we're back this spring with the truly epic Cambrian Classic. The 2017 edition will be on Saturday 22nd April!  :thumbsup:

Our route and controls remain unchanged this year, see upthread. Weather is guaranteed, will we get the return of the sparkling blue skies now we're a bit later in April? If you experienced the madness of the Staylittle road on the Bryan Chapman last year, come and join us and ride it in both directions!

Thanks to all entrants so far, confirmation should be with you today.  Further details available at https://sites.google.com/site/thecambrianaudax/home

Roll up roll up!

Daryl

« Reply #133 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:37:24 pm »
Rider emails went out earlier, please check spam/junk folder if not in inbox.. Email cambrianaudax@gmail.com if missing entirely.

The course is in fantastic condition this spring, with no roadworks or diversions to report from mondays routecheck.

The weather gods look to be smiling on you all, a demure day to tame the beast!?

Thanks for all your entries, see you Saturday

« Reply #134 on: 20 April, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »
Seeing this just jogged me into entering. Sorry for teh lates  :-[

Looks like a 5am start for me on Saturday, then  ::-)

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #135 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:21:00 pm »
See you all at Llanidloes.

« Reply #136 on: 20 April, 2017, 09:39:21 pm »
Sadly I`m DNS this year :( home commitments but thinking of doing a 150 DIY Sunday Presteigne > Mach and back, I`ll see

Best wishes to all those riding  :thumbsup:

« Reply #137 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:50:04 am »
Tailwind home  :thumbsup:

« Reply #138 on: 22 April, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
A phenomenal day out   :D

Blissful weather, tailwind home, spring lambs and spring verdure. What more could you want. I cheated and stopped at the very top of the climb above Mach and turned there taking the longer and hillier Hafren forest route back which was just about as beautiful as it gets.

Flatus manoeuvre shaved 10 miles and 400m off the calendar route and was the right choice for me today. Beer and fresh legs all the way home.

Special mention and sincere and heartfelt  :-* thanks to Daryl, Luke , John and Linda, and helpers and whoever cooked those cakes and made the sandwiches and soup at the finish. Frankly it goes way beyond what is expected. Well done, guys, another superlative event  :thumbsup:

« Reply #139 on: 11 December, 2017, 02:06:26 pm »
Whilst Herefordshire is under 6” of snow, we’re dreaming of spring!

Date for your diaries, Saturday 21st April 2018

Full details https://sites.google.com/site/thecambrianaudax/

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #140 on: 11 December, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »
Can't wait.  :thumbsup:

Won't cheat this time. Probably.

« Reply #141 on: 14 January, 2020, 01:29:00 pm »
Thread Bump

The Cambrian returns for 2020, on Easter Saturday 11th April, entry via AUK page.

roll up roll up  :thumbsup: