Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale - 200k - T'kesbury - Saturday January 6th, 2018.  (Read 6619 times)

The car park in Gloucester Road where the ride starts have large ish spares at the back.  I have seem campavans there early on Saturday morning.  I don’t know if this is ok with the council.  Also, quite often a minibus pulls in.

https://www.tewkesbury.gov.uk/car-parks/gloucester-road-car-and-coach-park

The car park in Gloucester Road where the ride starts have large ish spares at the back.  I have seem campavans there early on Saturday morning.  I don’t know if this is ok with the council.  Also, quite often a minibus pulls in.

https://www.tewkesbury.gov.uk/car-parks/gloucester-road-car-and-coach-park
Thanks. I obviously didn't look closely enough at street view.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

Does anyone local to Tewkesbury know if the car park at the start has spaces big enough for a 6.5 metre van?
Or is there anywhere else that does have spaces big enough?

Thanks

No it does not.  A friend parked his van and he received a penalty notice for crossing the allocated designated parking space.  Gloucester Road car park is probably a better bet.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Does anyone local to Tewkesbury know if the car park at the start has spaces big enough for a 6.5 metre van?
Or is there anywhere else that does have spaces big enough?

Thanks

No it does not.  A friend parked his van and he received a penalty notice for crossing the allocated designated parking space.  Gloucester Road car park is probably a better bet.

Perhaps it might be an idea if the CEOs and TBC communicated. The following is lifted from the TBC parking web pages. Note the specified ific reference to motor home parking

Parking bays

Disabled parking

Blue badge holders displaying their badge are entitled to unlimited parking in all bays within the car park. All car parks have an allocation of disabled bays that are only permitted for the use of blue badge holders.

Motorcycle parking

Motorcycle parking is free of charge in all of our pay and display car parks. However, when parking your motorcycle please avoid using coach and disabled bays.

Motorhome parking

Station Road, Rails Meadow, Oldbury Road and Vineyards car parks have height restriction barriers. All other car parks are available for motorhomes provided that all wheels fit within a standard bay. Larger limited spaces are available in Spring Garden and Lankett Lane car parks.

So if you can get your wheels in the parking bay, everything is peachy.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Thanks Black Sheep

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

I'm in. Looking at my results, I haven't done a Blacksheep event since Feb '16. Been heading to Essex too much (and it ISN'T flat there!). At least I'll have forgotten how easy/hard the hills are.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I'll probably do the usual gatecrash at Chipping trick - this saves BS some paperwork and avoids making the parking situation worse.  ;)

Might see some of you there :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gatecrash Chipping? I'll be cycling through there to the start, and on the way home again, unless the weather's foul (I'm going soft).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Gatecrash Chipping? I'll be cycling through there to the start, and on the way home again, unless the weather's foul (I'm going soft).
Yes but you're very silly!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

I only regret it when I watch the other finishes enjoying the RHP refreshments at the end. I'm environmentally friendly and not working enough to splash out on petrol.

The floods are up to about normal winter levels. Those that habitually use the vineyards car park may need to change their parking plans.

The Meadows lane car park will likely also be submerged.

Station Road,  and the town centre car parks will be your best bet.

Gloucester Road is dry, as is St Mary's lane, and it would need a fair bit more sky juice to flood these. So see you all in Gloucester Road CP  tomoz.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Just texted Mark my dns. Not slept, despite a caffeine free day. Not felt on bike after giving blood this week, and I don't feel enthusiastic about a freezing cold 70 miler to Tewkesbury as my re-introduction to Blacksheep events (memories of a freezing cold ride home from the last one). Will do a club ride later. Hope you all enjoy the hills and scenery (and the RHP).

That was a tough day. Over 8000ft of climbing, how there are no AAA points I just don't know (Well, apart from the rules saying it doesn't fit the bill). Pleased to have got my January RRtY ride ticked off.

Best audax this year so far! A £ well spent!
Thank's Mark for being the top notch organiser / sound bloke that you are.
Just as hilly as I remembered it - I thought there was AAA points, no? Oh, well...
Hopefully see you at another Black Sheep event soon.

Cheers, Doo :)
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

A good day out despite my mechanical issues, a collapsed bearing race in the headset which gave me random tightness on the steering and my front shifter stopped working so I rode the whole way around on the small ring  :facepalm:

There was less people sat outside the pub in Hook Norton than when we did this route in August, I cant understand why  ;D

A
Thanks Mark  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

This was the fourth time I had ridden The Sale and I can report it was once again full value for money.

We had the novelty of black ice on the first section, when I saw a couple of riders slowing and someone called out "ice" I instinctively braked and of course went straight down, at least my elbow took the impact this time so after a fall in December when my hip and shoulder took the punishment I now have a very even spread of bruises on the right hand side of my body.

After the first section all was well and the challenge was to keep up a decent pace because as a full value rider I have been scraping in at the Hop Pole with nine and seven minutes to spare, I won't mention the 40 minutes after the cut off when I went off route and had to retrace.

After the debate about the merits of descending Sudely Hill in the dark and wet, when I had supported Mark's route, I began to worry that if the frost arrived early in the evening it might freeze the wet surface and another tumble on black ice on my way down the hill would not only be unwelcome but might result in me sliding all the way down a very long hill at high speed. Your imagination does strange things on an Audax and it was a blessed relief to discover that the road surface was its normal wet self and a slow and steady descent was fine.

I arrived at the Hop Pole with 30 minutes to spare so that was a good result for me.

Thanks to Mark for being his normal unflappable self and for his good humour and knowledge of all things Audax and cycling.

I came down with a virus which resulted in a DNS - I am pretty gutted about that as I am trying for RRtY and this would have been my third ride.

I have signed up for Dr. Foster's Winter Warmer in a fortnight - has anyone done this? - looks like quite a bit of A road on the route.

Well that was leg 4 of my inaugural RRTY attempt and have already entered Mark's early February 200. Having read the thread on the 2016 event it could be an eventful day.

Well that was leg 4 of my inaugural RRTY attempt and have already entered Mark's early February 200. Having read the thread on the 2016 event it could be an eventful day.

The offending metal plate (BT I believe) was covered with some "antislip" material. Google maps shows the reddish rectangle.