Author Topic: Dry January - 2020  (Read 8830 times)

Chris S

Dry January - 2020
« on: 01 January, 2020, 12:42:25 am »
Here we go again!

Chris S's Liver: "Ahhh.... my holidays. At last!"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dry January - 2020
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2020, 12:44:44 am »
Good luck everyone!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2020, 12:46:48 am »
Good Luck!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
The trouble with This Sort of Thing is that there is so much left over from Christmas that has to be consumed or thrown out. I'm talking about food rather than booze here, but January is a good time to start a diet.

Whatsapp conversation with My Pal Jon, whose house we are going to this evening for a buffet conflab:

Jon: "I say old bean! I have 3 pint of Doom Bar and 3 pints of Timothy Taylor. Plus copious amounts of vino. Hopefully that will meet your needs! See you later!"

Me: "I'm doing dry January*...

...but if it was bought in December or by someone else, it doesn't count. So yes indeed! Looking forward to it"

*This was in jest. Although I am intending to cut down greatly. My rule for the last 2 or 3 years has been that I don't drink alcohol unless I'm with someone else drinking alcohol. It works pretty well. Kept me down into single figures of pints for the entire month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2020, 04:50:32 pm »
Good luck all.  I'll have been on the wagon for 25 years come February.  Trouble nowadays is that if I have something cooked with alcohol that hasn't been adequately boiled off I get a splitting headache about an hour later, so my advice is this: come February, keep on drinking.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2020, 05:41:21 pm »
I’m giving it a try

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2020, 11:10:11 am »
I can report that tea consumption chez nous has rocketed, and the perks of my employ are being virtuosly ignored.

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2020, 02:57:27 pm »
I'm doing it again having managed it last year.  I look at it as an annual liver respawn! :)

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:04:19 pm »
yup, we're both on it too.  The kids are helping by marking off the days on a calendar with a star when we make it to bed time without, and one of them threw out some 'alcohol free' beer that they spotted was 0.5% ABV to remove temptation..   First major test is wednesday when I have a rowing club committee meeting which is normally followed by a trip to the pub for 3 or 4 quick pints.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:17:38 pm »
Sleep was a little disrupted for the first two or three nights, but seems OK now. Resting heart rate down from an average of about 67, to 56 this morning - so looks like I'm out of the perma-hangover you get from daily drinking.
I feel a bit more upbeat and motivated - but that could just be a random thing. Early days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2020, 10:55:37 am »
Now that the Epiphany event is over my liver is getting a break.  Hopefully it will also give the weight loss a boost.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2020, 03:03:01 pm »
Dry January is fine.  Snack free January is driving me nuts...
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2020, 03:24:12 pm »
Dry January is fine.  Snack free January is driving me nuts...

Ain't that the truth? Nuts are supposedly good keto food.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:05:35 am »
I just finished reading 'This Naked Mind' by Annie Grace, about boozahol.  It was all right, has anyone else read it?
Milk please, no sugar.

PaulF

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2020, 10:25:19 pm »
Well tonight was a major test; business trip with my boss which usually ends with post dinner whisky.

I passed

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2020, 12:03:20 pm »
I had a business dinner earlier this week, and didn't pass. The MD insisted I tried the wine, as it was one of ours. I don't even like wine.

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2020, 12:40:33 pm »
I tried dry January a few years ago. I succeeded and stayed dry. I’m just starting my 5th year and I’m not looking back. It has been great for my body and mind and phenomenal for my wallet.

« Reply #17 on: 27 January, 2020, 05:45:47 pm »
Am still going!  And the urge to stop for a beer is fading too - this might last longer than a month...

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 27 January, 2020, 05:56:21 pm »
Am still going!  And the urge to stop for a beer is fading too - this might last longer than a month...

:thumbsup: Same here!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2020, 12:56:03 pm »
Still dry, still snack free.  Plenty of nuts in my breakfast.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

PaulF

« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2020, 01:54:02 pm »
Me too - even survived another business trip :)

« Reply #21 on: 29 January, 2020, 04:19:20 pm »
Me too - even survived another business trip :)

toughest day yet for me....  lunch with an ex, we regularly used to get through 2 bottles of wine - she had one glass, I stuck to H2O! 

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2020, 04:34:45 pm »
I have had too much on in Jan including a jolly to Finland which really would have been no fun sans booze.
So I'm going to do attempt a dry month starting Monday Feb 3rd.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2020, 04:35:17 pm »
Looks like I've done it, more by accident than by design.
Missed out on the bubbly at our party.
Would have quite liked a double G&T on Monday at the Harvester but as D was getting the drinks to go with the meal, I asked for a diet cola. Poor soul walked round the place looking like a lost soul in search of the drink dispensers to fill our 'bottomless' glasses.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #24 on: 29 January, 2020, 04:41:50 pm »
Still going strong  :thumbsup:.

Have managed to coast through: two trips to the theatre (with dinner beforehand) by arriving late enough to not have time to go to the bar and staying seated during the interval; my birthday; and a visit from my parents (my stepfather put away one bottle and started another, which I gave him to take home with him). 

No noticeable weight loss, but that's probably because I'm working towards a deadline, so spending a lot of time at home and, thus, grazing too much.

I'm not finding that I'm missing it at all so may carry on after Friday (although if there was ever a reason to get mind-destroyingly drunk and not wake up for several years, it's "Brexit Night").  I've been trying exotic tonic waters and find that one of them is enough to give me that 7pm 'treat' sensation that I'd normally get from a glass of wine and once I've eaten dinner I prefer to have a herbal tea.

If I put a price on the wine we haven't bought or have but haven't drunk, I reckon we've saved about £200, which is both shocking and satisfying.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?