Author Topic: Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord  (Read 1214 times)

Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord
« on: 05 April, 2019, 08:21:39 am »
There may well be no no need or reason for this information, but better safe than sorry...
I have found a very nice flat in a good part of Coventry (yes, there are some!). It's a private let without an agent involved. Now, that means no agency fees, which is good, but the rent is very reasonable - almost too good to be true.

With that in mind, apart from a check on the Land Registry, how can I check whether it's a kosher deal and not a potential deposit/rental rip off?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2019, 08:26:11 am »
Google his/her name, establish it is the proper landlord and find a different way of contacting than the one you have been given. e.g. if you have an email, contact via LinkedIn or similar.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2019, 08:51:14 am »
It's a Gumtree ad & s/he has no Gumtree history. I only have a first name at this stage. Senses tingling at this stage...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
I would ask to have a chat with the current tenant.

Most landlords or even agencies with facilitate that, as a anti-fraud check as much as anything.

There is a known scam going around which sounds really really similar to what you are describing.

https://homelet.co.uk/tenants/blog/article/rental-property-scams%E2%80%93how-to-avoid-them

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
Check they do actually own it i.e. aren't subletting

simonp