Author Topic: TNR Race Tape?  (Read 2007 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
TNR Race Tape?
« on: 30 June, 2023, 09:07:22 pm »
I have been hearing American racing cyclists talk about using TNR Race Tape instead of pinning numbers to skinsuits and jerseys.
https://tnr-tape.com/

Is this product or something similar available in the UK?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: TNR Race Tape?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2023, 09:17:35 pm »
Hockey tape.  Fixes every bike-related issue that can’t be sorted with a zip tie or epoxy.  The choice of champions Canadians :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2023, 09:45:04 pm »
Is it anything like Australian sports tape?

:P
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:00:45 pm »
Another alternative to pins is plastic clips. I use Event Clips. Work fine on my running vest. Not tried them on a skin suit.
https://eventclip.net/

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2023, 08:56:15 am »
I have been hearing American racing cyclists talk about using TNR Race Tape instead of pinning numbers to skinsuits and jerseys.
https://tnr-tape.com/

Is this product or something similar available in the UK?

Using tape became a thing in UK time trials seven or eight years ago. Less hassle for the rider but didn't go down well with organisers trying to get tape residue off their reusable numbers, so many events specifically banned it. Not such an issue for single use tyvek numbers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:34:13 pm »
So most UK TTers keep sticking pins into fancy skinsuits?

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:07:35 pm »
Not sure if most, but yeah. Or Nopinz.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:34:53 pm »
Is there a Nopinz pocket retrofit to an existing skinsuit or is a Nopinz skinsuit the only way to get one? Do I need to send the skinsuit to them or is it something that I fit myself? Nopinz website looks pretty shit at providing basic information like that, at first glance.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:39:52 pm »
Is there a Nopinz pocket retrofit to an existing skinsuit or is a Nopinz skinsuit the only way to get one? Do I need to send the skinsuit to them or is it something that I fit myself? Nopinz website looks pretty shit at providing basic information like that, at first glance.

There certainly was is; I had a nopinz pocket retrofitted to my club skinsuit.
Yes, you send it to them.

Look at the Speedpocket options here:
https://nopinz.com/product-tag/accessories-all/

Mine is the RTTC 200x200mm size, and I chose the Aero option, which requires the number to be inserted from the inside, before you pull the suit on.
200x200 seems to be the size that all the local clubs use for confined and open TT events. I'd not want smaller, they can be a tight fit as it is.

nopinz speedpocket by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2023, 02:50:30 pm »
I've had a couple of products from Nopinz and they're an excellent company: nice quality stuff and good comms.  You can get a speedpocket retrofitted by searching for "speedpocket" in their products.

Other companies also make kit with speedpockets: my last skinsuit was from Velotec.

You can also get a "speedwrap" from Nopinz which is a kinda corset belt thing to hold your number.

What testers use: still lots of pins in club events but I doubt they've adorned a top 20 rider in an open for several years.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2023, 11:11:43 pm »
For Nationals requiring arm numbers the arm bands are pretty useful, especially for the endurance races(so you don't pin through waterproofs. My biceps are pretty skinny but PM me if you'd like to borrow them
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

felstedrider

« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2023, 08:16:30 am »
Another vote for Nopinz.  I’ve got 3 of their skinsuits, reflecting their change in design and materials, but all with number pockets.  I think theirs a couple of arm number holders knocking around somewhere as well.

My first suit had a couple of faults and I sent it back.  They fixed and returned for free within a couple of days.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2023, 08:21:37 am »
HK wants to use the same skinsuit for recumbent racing and for TTing, so I suspect that their (non-triathlon) belt pocket probably makes the most sense. A plastic number pocket against a recumbent seatback isn't going to work too nicely. HK isn't going to any nationals, so the arm options won't be necessary.

felstedrider

« Reply #13 on: 07 July, 2023, 08:56:26 am »
HK wants to use the same skinsuit for recumbent racing and for TTing, so I suspect that their (non-triathlon) belt pocket probably makes the most sense. A plastic number pocket against a recumbent seatback isn't going to work too nicely. HK isn't going to any nationals, so the arm options won't be necessary.

It might be alright as the material for the pocket is quite flexible.  I’m not sure on your timescales but I can bring a suit to East Saxons to have a look at.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2023, 08:57:59 am »
That would be helpful, thanks.

felstedrider

« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2023, 09:54:40 am »
That would be helpful, thanks.

I haven’t been told when I’m needed yet but I’m route checking Wed/Thu.  I’ll ride down to the start for a coffee anyway.