Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2023  (Read 8156 times)

Re: Tour of Britain 2023
« Reply #75 on: 09 September, 2023, 05:54:10 pm »
Our club (Cheltenham & County CC) took a few groups out to see the riders at the start in
Tewkesbury, and on Cleeve Hill & Suedley Hill. I led a group on a short(ish) ride to Tewkesbury
and managed to have a quick chat to some of the teams' mechanics. They were all open and very
friendly.

Oh, here's something I noticed - not all of the Inios Grenadiers' bikes were decked out in full-on
Dura Ace gear. I spotted a few with Ultegra front derailleurs.

« Reply #76 on: 09 September, 2023, 05:57:55 pm »
Didn't see it - could have done with it!
(click to show/hide)

Got a few big grins off riders because I was holding it out like a bottle. No TV footage of it because ITV4 cut to a break from literally the top of my road (which is the Cotswold escarpment. Annoyingly there was zero footage of the town either.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 09 September, 2023, 06:09:35 pm »
We saw the top of your road on the big screen, no adverts in the coverage. Was looking for the Bell, but didn’t make it out in the fast descent, which was shown from the helicopter.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #78 on: 09 September, 2023, 06:50:20 pm »
No TV footage of it because ITV4 cut to a break from literally the top of my road (which is the Cotswold escarpment. Annoyingly there was zero footage of the town either.

At what km? I can see if it is on GCN or if you're on my dashcam (ideally if you know what time it was).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #79 on: 09 September, 2023, 07:14:46 pm »
Young Zeb had a good day today with a top ten finish. Not too shabby!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #80 on: 09 September, 2023, 07:36:15 pm »
No TV footage of it because ITV4 cut to a break from literally the top of my road (which is the Cotswold escarpment. Annoyingly there was zero footage of the town either.

At what km? I can see if it is on GCN or if you're on my dashcam.

Assuming I have the correct location - the GCN coverage cut back to the front four just as they passed the pub:

The following groups were indeed shown passing the pub from a helicopter shot.

« Reply #81 on: 09 September, 2023, 10:21:08 pm »

At what km? I can see if it is on GCN or if you're on my dashcam.

Assuming I have the correct location - the GCN coverage cut back to the front four just as they passed the pub:

The following groups were indeed shown passing the pub from a helicopter shot.

I'm about 50 yards further down the hill, just round the corner, standing on the right.

« Reply #82 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:32:42 am »
Ah, yes, I see now ...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #83 on: 10 September, 2023, 12:40:21 pm »
A stage start in Margam Park is one thing, but the greatest sporting moment to have happened there was when I hit a six onto the pavilion roof on 13th July 1985.

Photo by nuncio this morning
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #84 on: 10 September, 2023, 01:42:15 pm »
Yes, it's all about proportion, isn't it! ;D

« Reply #85 on: 10 September, 2023, 03:51:18 pm »
During stage 7 of the Tour of Britain, there was some confusion as the organizers referred to Suedley Hill as Winchcombe Hill. It's worth noting that among the local community, including avid riders in the area, this hill is widely recognized as Suedley Hill, and the term "Winchcombe Hill" is not commonly used to describe it. This naming inconsistency caused bewilderment among those familiar with the local geography and cycling routes.

« Reply #86 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:39:26 pm »
Well, I missed Matth. We spend too long waiting for the reluctant riders to come out of their buses before wandering up to the start, where I think the motorbikes may have been gathered. I did look at all the NEG riders who went past to see if any of them looked like the version of Matth I remember + 10 years, but no joy.

We saw a few of the team introductions, and the depart; then sat on some straw bales in front of the big screen (picturesquely placed with a view of Margam Castle behind, rather than the other way round, with Port Talbot steelworks as the backdrop) watching the race until the break was established. Within a minute of setting off for home (in a car) the heavens emptied, so I'm glad, restrospectively, that the break didn't take too long to get away.

From what I saw the enforced re-routing because of the traffic incident was pretty well handled. It can't have been easy for the organizers. There are not a great deal of alternatives available in the Rhondda valleys. I'd be interested in Matth's behind-the-scenes views.

Too late to be of any use yoav, but there were no merch stands at all at today's start.

« Reply #87 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:56:27 pm »
I was one of the first NEG to leave (don't remember if the junction team left before me) as someone had parked on double yellows on a turn at the exit to the park. As I was ready to roll I headed out to flag and whistle it, though luckily the local Heddlu managed to track down the owner in the park and get it moved.
I was wearing a white helmet and orange jacket, if that helps...

It was an interesting day. We heard about the RTA when we had about 40km to get to it. Someone was sent ahead to assess, and then the alternative route was sorted, with just a short stop at the top then a neutralised section through it. It did work very well on the ground, top marks to the team that sorted it and the local Heddlu for their assistance. On the positive side for me, it meant that I could do that descent with no pressure, so could cruise down at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery. And what scenery we had today. Absolutely fantastic, though I doubt the racers got to enjoy it too much.

« Reply #88 on: 10 September, 2023, 09:00:41 pm »
That's a lovely descent. I think I may have done it faster than Wout van Aert.

« Reply #89 on: 10 September, 2023, 10:11:06 pm »
It did look beautiful and I enjoyed it when the director concentrated on the scenery rather than the riders!  The section towards the accident reminded me strongly of the Abergwesyn road further north.  Terrific job by all, participants and enablers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #90 on: 10 September, 2023, 10:34:49 pm »
Zeb ended up 6th overall. Good going against the big boys.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #91 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:05:01 pm »
Yes, I was thinking how chuffed you'd be with Zeb's performance.  Bonzer!