Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462848 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #50 on: 27 November, 2009, 08:47:02 am »
Silly season continues - almost underwheeled by a ruddy great cement mixer coming up Hady Hill this morning. Pillock!  >:(
Too busy jumping onto curb to get his number  :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 27 November, 2009, 09:13:20 am »
I thought I was going to see another nasty left hook yesterday, as a van shoved across into the bus lane at newington, forcing a rider into the gutter before indicating left.  Only the presence of a car waiting to turn out of (and blocking) the road entrance the van wanted to go into made him pause, and probably saved the cyclist from very nasty injury.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #52 on: 27 November, 2009, 09:40:04 am »
I did not feel right.  It did not just seem to click.

+1

I have had a headwind on the way into work each day this week and its got progressively harder (and slower) to do the 8 miles to work.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #53 on: 27 November, 2009, 12:33:43 pm »
1 beautiful sunrise, 4 herons, 5 gamboling deer, guillemots, a white pheasant (weird), a herd of eastern Europeans crop picking, and a tailwind. Great to be back on a bike after feeling crap for 3-4 weeks.

All this and a huge pile of cream cakes from a birthday at work.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #54 on: 27 November, 2009, 12:58:06 pm »
Well done that man for restoring some positivity  :thumbsup:

« Reply #55 on: 27 November, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »
1 beautiful sunrise, 4 herons, 5 gamboling deer, guillemots, a white pheasant (weird), a herd of eastern Europeans crop picking, and a tailwind.

Anna par-tridge inna pear tree!

« Reply #56 on: 27 November, 2009, 11:25:28 pm »
First full week of commuting by bike since moving several weeks ago. It's only 6.5 miles each way but I have to admit that I am feeling it in the legs today. Probably more a function of my meagre recent mileage more than anything. Suprising how much benefit I am feeling from a mere half-hour flat ride twice a day :)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #57 on: 28 November, 2009, 09:00:21 am »
Boy was I glad when Friday came around, the wind has been taking liberties all week, so much so that at times it felt like my brakes were binding.

Mind you, having a throat like a turkey's bum in a blizzard doesn't help.

I had part of my route to myself on the way home yesterday, courtesy of a three car shunt on the A24 near North Cheam.  Twas quite a luxury being able to go a few hundred yards without being squeezed going up Stonecot Hill.   

Judging by the extensive shouting and arm waving there were no injuries, thankfully.  I did enjoy the shrill cry of 'but you were on da phone'.......  ::-) I'm beginning to think that car engines are designed to cut out if the driver is not using a mobile phone.

« Reply #58 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:46:47 am »
Chickened out today  :-[ It was just too grim at 0730 (plus my journey home will not commence until 9).

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #59 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:54:54 am »
Today wasn't too bad. It wasn't pleasant (it was wet and very gusty), but I dunno. It was OK. Certainly better than having to use the car.

Not looking forward to tomorrow though. Forecast is for zero and sub-zero temperatures in this area which means my preferred (unclassified) route is likely to have iced up patches - run off from fields mainly - after all the wet.  Means I'll have to use the 'main' road.  Bum.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #60 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:10:16 pm »
it was grim at chez vorsprung up to 730am and then it stopped raining in time for me leaving for work a bit late

Nasty northerly on the way in so I arrived at work 10 minutes late, which is unusual

Blue sky now, although a bit cold

Frost forecast for tonight

« Reply #61 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:20:38 pm »
It was grim (but nowhere near as grim as Crawley / Faygate in the early hours of last Saturday morning) as I emerged from the Greenwich foot tunnel and headed homeward at 06:30 this morning.

A feeling of inexplicable smugness washed over me as wove my way through the gridlocked traffic on Creek Road, and onward to the hinterlands of Forest Hill.

The northbound Blackwall Tunnel (being b0rked) will ensure that this mayhem will continue for the next few days.....

« Reply #62 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:22:46 pm »
Chickened out today but I'll be on the bike the rest of the week. Time to move from knee warmers to leg warmers.

Saved from buying a 7 day train ticket (cheaper than 4 individual days) by not having my photocard with me.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #63 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »
I have an medic appointment tomorrow which means I will be out of the office for about 3 hours.
I have a choice- take the day off (it counts as sick) and spend the rest of it riding, or take the car, and return to work afterwards.
Forecast is for zero and sub-zero temperatures
Why does this (usually easy) choice fall when the weather forecast is for frost? It's just not fair (stamps foot, petulant pout).

« Reply #64 on: 30 November, 2009, 01:24:49 pm »
The floods and wind ensured that I was late this morning. But not as late as I would have been had I driven in :smug:. My usual average speed is around 13 mph - todays was 9.7 mph :(. Still, it was slow and damp - but not miserable :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #65 on: 30 November, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »
Well it was absolutely peeing stair rods this morning with wind to match, I can honestly say that the weather didn't bother me in the slightest. 

What did really make my blood pressure rise was the moton behaviour.  I think the screaming overtake by white van thug this morning was the worst yet, we're talking millimetres.

Surely they can't be that thick to fail to notice the conditions, or are they to insulated in their little boxes?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:12:27 pm »
Can't see out through the steamed-up windows, so have no idea of the weather or other road users.  Hence the high speed & liberal use of horns. ::-)
Getting there...

TheLurker

« Reply #67 on: 30 November, 2009, 03:23:16 pm »
I have an medic appointment tomorrow which means I will be out of the office for about 3 hours.
I have a choice- take the day off (it counts as sick) and spend the rest of it riding, or take the car, and return to work afterwards.
Forecast is for zero and sub-zero temperatures
Why does this (usually easy) choice fall when the weather forecast is for frost? It's just not fair (stamps foot, petulant pout).
Yebbut, the frost n' ice'll be gone by mid-morning. It's only going to be a prob. if you've got to leave the house at doubleohtoobloodyearly to go to work...  throw the sickie and go out riding in the crisp cold sunny air after your appt.  You know you'll feel better for it.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #68 on: 30 November, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
River's in flood.  So while the riverside path under the bridge was only under 3" of water, I knew there was another 2" of mud hiding there.  So I went the long way round.

This was reported a year ago, here: http://www.clearthattrail.org.uk/obstruction/897

But one council worker with a shovel and 20 minutes cannot be spared.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #69 on: 30 November, 2009, 11:43:23 pm »
Today wasn't too bad. It wasn't pleasant (it was wet and very gusty), but I dunno. It was OK. Certainly better than having to use the car.

Not looking forward to tomorrow though. Forecast is for zero and sub-zero temperatures in this area which means my preferred (unclassified) route is likely to have iced up patches - run off from fields mainly - after all the wet.  Means I'll have to use the 'main' road.  Bum.

Aye - gritters going out as I came home tonight (Bet they won't be up our lane until after any snow! So that'll be er...February?)

TheLurker

« Reply #70 on: 01 December, 2009, 08:00:26 am »
Well, it was cold and the puddles were iced over but it wasn't anywhere near as bad here as the doom-mongers at the Met. Office would have had us believe.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 01 December, 2009, 08:57:20 am »
Icy in stretches, but not too bad.  Nice ride, except for the motons. >:(
Getting there...

FyPuNK

« Reply #72 on: 01 December, 2009, 08:59:30 am »
Me ears dropped off this morning  :o bloody hell its cold but at least the wind has died down, not to self, get a silly headband on me crimbo list.

« Reply #73 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:01:52 pm »
A cold one this morning (below freezing), but wrapped up in two layers of tights, long sleeve base layer and long sleeve jersey under an eVent jacket, windproof balaclava and thick skiing gloves I was nice and toasty (once my face had gone numb enough not to notice the cold). Winter has definitely arrived.
My wife commented that I was mad cycling in (as I was cleaning the ice off her car windows) rather than taking the Jag, but it was a lovely, crisp morning to be out and only the odd bit of slippiness.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:06:57 pm »
I'd rather slip on the ice with the momentum of a cyclist than with the momentum of a ton or so of metal.
Getting there...