Random Musings > Kidstuff

Unmentionables

(1/3) > >>

mrcharly-YHT:
Splitting from the pocket money thread . . . .

There are 'difficult' topics with kids. Sex. Wet dreams. Masturbation. Periods.

All my kids have been very relaxed, and I seem to have been an adult who was approachable about things (judging by my time as a part-time teacher).

Some parents aren't relaxed or approachable - I'm surprised how many people suggested that my household shouldn't be seen as a source of tampons and pads for daughter's friends.  One of those friends lives 25miles away from school - erm, she could get caught out. One of the others was abandoned by one parent, the other has now gone and the girl is living in accommodation for people who have been chucked out by the council. It's grim.

I ain't going to tell either of them that they can't help themselves; it seems ridiculous, if I couldn't afford to 'supply' them I could just cut out a bottle of wine per week. . . .

We've not really needed to have many conversations about sex ed - we do talk a lot about responsibilities, the effects on girls of youthful pregnancies. The boys are more of a worry - less inclined to talk and more arrogantly full of themselves.

Julian:
I had friends at school who would rather go to the school nurse to ask for sanitary towels than their parents.  It's appalling how much we teach girls that periods and ladybits are disgusting and embarrassing and unmentionable, and I think it's great that they can do that at your house.  :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits:

--- Quote from: mrcharly on 25 March, 2011, 12:33:04 pm ---Some parents aren't relaxed or approachable - I'm surprised how many people suggested that my household shouldn't be seen as a source of tampons and pads for daughter's friends.  One of those friends lives 25miles away from school - erm, she could get caught out. One of the others was abandoned by one parent, the other has now gone and the girl is living in accommodation for people who have been chucked out by the council. It's grim.

I ain't going to tell either of them that they can't help themselves; it seems ridiculous, if I couldn't afford to 'supply' them I could just cut out a bottle of wine per week. . . .
--- End quote ---
I don't think there's anything wrong with helping out in a sanitary protection emergency. But I think it's cheeky of anyone to repeatedly help themselves to someone else's supplies.

jogler:
I have been asked by other cyclists why the rackpack on the tandem contains,among other things, sanitary towels.
My most frequent stoker is my g.d..
We had a matter-of-fact,relaxed-as-in-normal-female-occurence discussion about the wisdom of them being permenantly on board j.i.c..
We is  8)

Jaded:
Was going to post on here, but it is visible to all.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version