Author Topic: Another import duty question.  (Read 769 times)

Another import duty question.
« on: 20 February, 2021, 06:19:35 pm »
Months ago I ordered a Cycliq Fly 12 front light. It finally shipped last week, from Hong Kong. I’ve just got a FedEx text saying it’s been “imported from outside the EU” and demanding £53 import duty.  Wtf?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Another import duty question.
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:27:01 pm »
Does one assume the light cost several hundred pounds? (yes, I have paid £150 for a torch...)

Seems a hell of a lot.
Wombat

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:30:05 pm »
It certainly wasn’t cheap, and yes I bought direct rather than through a uk based reseller. I just wasn’t expecting it to be considered a personal import!  ETA, caveat emptor it seems, their website does make it clear (I& you know where to look) that duties may be payable  :-\

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:53:14 pm »
I just wasn’t expecting it to be considered a personal import!
Why not? Any goods from outside the UK are liable for taxes. There was an exemption for goods less than £15, but that no longer applies.
For goods up to £135, the seller should pay the taxes. But for more than that, you should pay it when you receive it.

So would be 20% VAT, maybe a few % import duty. And probably a handling charge from the courier, maybe another £10 or so.

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2021, 07:20:16 pm »
Why not? Stupidity it seems, not knowing it would ship independently from Hong Kong rather than being imported and then distributed locally  :)

ian

« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:21:08 pm »
It happens, I bought a Christmas present for my wife from somewhere in Hackney, and the first delivery tracking notification was somewhere far more far east than E5. I didn't get stiffed for duty on that one.

As mentioned, my wife got bit for £100+ on her piece of 'Dutch artwork. That was import duty, VAT, and a dash of sweet for Royal Mail. Principally I'm not opposed to paying the VAT, but she already paid it on the original purchase.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:24:15 pm »
The Cycliq website doesn't seem to specify where it is actually shipped from. Though it says they are based in Western Australia, so could assume it is somewhere near there.
The terms and conditions does say you are responsible for any duties and taxes in your country.