Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 88647 times)

Re: Blood donation
« Reply #225 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »
#18 today.

PPE on display was interesting.

Initial triage where 2m distance was strictly enforced but once I'd said I had no symptoms or hadn't mixed with anyone who had recently had symptoms/etc then it was all a bit more relaxed.

3/4 of the nurses had masks on but, obviously, 1/4 didn't have anything, including the nurse who did my screening and Hb test.

About half of the donors had masks (I took mine) but obviously you have to take it off to drink the electrolyte drink or eat an orange club biscuit afterwards.

Busiest I've seen the centre though, and all of the platelet bays were in use too.

They took 3 separate vials of blood (they usually take 2) so I wonder if they're also using this for random/anonymous antibody testing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #226 on: 21 June, 2020, 11:47:18 pm »
it looks like they are all busy. i had a call recently asking whether i can donate. then they checked several donor centres and the nearest appointment would be in two months. i said that's too far out, give me a call if there are any cancellations within a week or two.

« Reply #227 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:10:51 am »
#18 today.

Top tip of the day - don't attempt hill intervals (running) the day after giving blood. I did this 2 weeks ago. It got to the very hard stage pretty quickly.

« Reply #228 on: 22 June, 2020, 01:20:04 pm »
#18 today.

Top tip of the day - don't attempt hill intervals (running) the day after giving blood. I did this 2 weeks ago. It got to the very hard stage pretty quickly.

BTDTGTTS.

Now I usually schedule at least 2 days of no running after a blood donation. Next 5k is Wednesday after Sunday's donation and will be gentle.

When fitter I was able to cope better. A few years ago I did a marathon on a Sunday then cycled to work (12km but flat) on Tuesday, gave blood, cycled home, then played 1h40 of 5-a-side.

« Reply #229 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:02:17 pm »
Benefit of having been in blood donor - knowing your blood group.

Good news for all of use 'O' type - there's evidence emerging that O-people are better at resisting COVID19.

I heard this on the BBCR4 inside science but it's also elsewhere on the media.

« Reply #230 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:17:25 pm »
Benefit of having been in blood donor - knowing your blood group.

Good news for all of use 'O' type - there's evidence emerging that O-people are better at resisting COVID19.

I heard this on the BBCR4 inside science but it's also elsewhere on the media.

O- or O+? Is that thin/young/fit type O+/- people, or is it just perhaps that type O+/- is a caucasian group, and as we know BAME minorities are hardest hit.

If O+/- does make a difference then you could deliberately get Covid so your super O+/- antibodies could be used for the masses of less fortunate blood types as O+/- grouping is universal in the - and + groups at the very least.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #231 on: 13 July, 2020, 02:06:45 pm »
went for donation today, all checks passed, but there was internal bleeding/bruising after a needle insertion which meant they couldn't proceed with collection. at least a young nurse learned something new.

« Reply #232 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:09:42 pm »
My appointment is a week on Sunday. Booked oh so many months ago. Treating me as new donor as they lost over 30 years of donation history.  Hey ho.

I’m presuming face coverings etc.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #233 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:21:32 pm »
My appointment is a week on Sunday. Booked oh so many months ago. Treating me as new donor as they lost over 30 years of donation history.  Hey ho.

I did platelets a couple of weeks ago at St George's Tooting, which shares with whole blood donating. Yes, face covering plus a few questions about whether you have The Disease and so on.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #234 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:16:49 am »
Had to cancel mine earlier this week as I'd been ill (not Covid) over the weekend. Need to rebook for #19.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #235 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:19:50 am »

Got a letter about the Dutch organ donor registry. Not sure there's much point, being British, my organs and blood are not acceptable for donation in this country.

I don't know if in the event of me snuffing it they can get organs on a plane to the UK where they are accepted...

:(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #236 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:29:34 am »
I used to get badgered relentlessly by the US blood donation people (Red Cross?) when I worked there. Every single time I said (in an umistakeably British accent) "I take it you still don't take British blood" (for fear of CJD) and they said "Yes, sorry, we can't".

Yet a week or two later I'd get harassed again to do it (sometimes in person at work, sometimes on the phone, sometimes by post, sometimes by email).

« Reply #237 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:31:52 am »
Had to cancel mine earlier this week as I'd been ill (not Covid) over the weekend. Need to rebook for #19.

Less talk, more booking.

Sunday 4th October is the next appointment at my preferred location.

Booked.

« Reply #238 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:40:39 am »

I did platelets a couple of weeks ago at St George's Tooting, which shares with whole blood donating. Yes, face covering plus a few questions about whether you have The Disease and so on.

Oh I didn’t know they were doing specific parts of the blood. Last time I went you just gave about 3/4 pint and they’d sort the constituents out as necessary.

« Reply #239 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:47:03 am »
Separate machine that takes blood out, separates it, and then sticks the bits they don't want back in you.

More info on the dedicated site: http://platelets.blood.co.uk/

« Reply #240 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:53:42 am »
And are you invited to take part from regular blood donation or is it something you have to ask / volunteer for?

« Reply #241 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:25:41 am »
And are you invited to take part from regular blood donation or is it something you have to ask / volunteer for?

Let me check the website I linked to for you.

« Reply #242 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:27:37 am »
I can confirm you will find the answers on the aforementioned site, hidden in plain view under the "Can I donate?" link in the nav bar at the top.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #243 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:19:21 pm »
Note there is a higher minimum weight for platelet donation than for blood donation
(though this probably doesn't effect most people)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #244 on: 18 September, 2020, 06:30:58 pm »
I can confirm you will find the answers on the aforementioned site, hidden in plain view under the "Can I donate?" link in the nav bar at the top.

Yeah not the most obvious place to look. Glad you didn’t fall into the LMGTFY

Interestingly it take 2 weeks to come back with your platelet count assessment. For other reasons I know my platelet count from two weeks ago.  Anyway firstly give some blood after a gap of a few years.

« Reply #245 on: 18 September, 2020, 06:45:44 pm »
They have never wanted my blood.  I was born in the wrong place.
Move Faster and Bake Things

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #246 on: 18 September, 2020, 08:44:12 pm »
I'm being Spambarded more than normal by scotblood, since they switched to prebooking appointments rsther than drop in sessions about 10 years ago my rhinitis has made it difficult to go because I never know what state my nose will be in until I wake up.
Though what's stopping me most right now is I slipped while taking a pedal off a drive side crank and have a chain wheel tooth sized hole in my hand...

I guess they're desparate for A+ blood.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #247 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:52:49 pm »
Session cancelled due to Covid (not my end). No option or suggestion of alternate dates. Oh well likely be a few more months till can get another local booking. That’s if they aren’t in meltdown by Nov / Dec.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #248 on: 21 September, 2020, 02:01:52 pm »
I guess they're desparate for A+ blood.
They'll get mine tomorrow (also A+).
fx: checks appointment: around dinner time.  I'd better take a sarnie so I don't scoff too many crisps/biscuits etc.  Going to be emptying out my work desk tomorrow so random folks can use it, so early dinner not an option.  Which might be interesting for them as it's a sensible-sized-person (aka below average height) desk.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #249 on: 21 September, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »

Got a letter about the Dutch organ donor registry. Not sure there's much point, being British, my organs and blood are not acceptable for donation in this country.

I don't know if in the event of me snuffing it they can get organs on a plane to the UK where they are accepted...

:(

J

That's interesting. What's the rationale behind that?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.