Author Topic: The Chess Problem Thread.  (Read 893 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Chess Problem Thread.
« on: 11 January, 2020, 10:08:04 pm »
I've just been shown a real beauty.

White to play. How should the game go (white is playing up the board)?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The Chess Problem Thread.
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:46:00 am »
can't see a killer blow, but would go bishop to C2,   would put black under a lot of pressure but would probably end up in a draw.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:11:25 am »
It's mate in 8 in the main line:

1 Bc2+ Ka5 2 b4+ Ka6 3 Kc6 Ka7 (if ...Ba7 4 Bd3 mate) 4 b5 Ka8 5 Be4 Ka7 (...Ba7 6 Kxc7 mate) 6 Bf3 Ka8 7 b6 cxb6 8 Kxb6 mate

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:17:02 am »
heads off in search of chess board

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
at least I was starting off with the correct move,  it was too many moves ahead for me to get my head round,  I knew black would be toiling in the corner but could not see the kill and could just see a stalemate.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2020, 11:16:05 am »
In problems like these, where there are minimal numbers of pieces, there's some hidden trick. I think for an experienced solver, the B on b8, stuck behind an unmoved pawn, is the giveaway. White has all the light-squared control because of the B & K, but minimal dark-squared control.

I don't know who composed this, but it turned up on an FB group I'm a member of. It could be Henri Rinck, a Belgian French* composer of some of the cleverest problems I have seen. I think it was the 150th anniversary of his birth last week.

*I just checked. I don't know why I thought he was Belgian.

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2020, 12:19:25 pm »
I think with such problems I probably spend far too much time looking for an unusual move, the move I went for (which turned out to be correct)  just seemed too obvious and I was convinced the solution would have been far less obvious.

Not that I can ever think 8 moves ahead with any accuracy, but in a game against another average player with a clock ticking, the move I went for was the obvious one knowing that black was getting cornered and that always give opportunities of a mate

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »

White to play. Mate in 3.