Author Topic: Football will eat itself  (Read 32187 times)

Re: Football will eat itself
« Reply #100 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »
"It's no coincidence that Manchester United won so many games in the last few minutes (and beyond) when 5 or 6 of the team were boyhood United fans."

Not forgetting the referees who added on the statistically proven Fergie Time (now transferred to Liverpool!)

Manchester United's youth policy has always been excellent.  I wish more teams would go that way.  There were a glorious few weeks when Newcastle had a young Andy Carroll in blistering form at the front and the very dependable local captain Stephen Taylor at the back, a local resurgence.  Then Carroll lamped Taylor in the dressing room and Ashton took the opportunity to cash his chips - which has been policy ever since.  Just as well it's only a game.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #101 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:44:11 pm »
Not forgetting the referees who added on the statistically proven Fergie Time (now transferred to Liverpool!)

.. Remember that the other team were also allowed to score in Fergie time.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #102 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »
Then it would just have gone on.... and on.. and on.....!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #103 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:52:07 pm »
We've got a local team with a local company owner. Who wants to move the side to J13 M5, which is not such a catchy name.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #104 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:56:23 pm »
Forest Green is the greatest name in the "top" 5 divisions.  Admittedly, it doesn't have quite the resonance of "Milton Keynes Don'ts"!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #105 on: 08 March, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »
I think it's time to question why people support their local clubs, especially Premiership clubs.

How many people actually support their local club, or a club that was local at some earlier point in their lives?

Cue the joke about most ManU supporters living in Surrey, though even in my first few months in this country I knew  they weren't resettled Mancunians.

When I came to the UK my closest Premiership club, as the crow flies, was a tie between Spurs and Hammers.  My support went to Leyton Orient, very much my local club.  This surprised many people, but I pointed out 1) my partner supported no club, so free to choose, 2) I lived in Leyton, which had a professional club, 3) I saw no need to support a Premiership club.

Where I live now I can hear the Hammers fans during matches - not that they often have anything to sing about - but Orient is my team.

We now return you to the discussion of £$€ ruining football...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #106 on: 08 March, 2016, 05:29:17 pm »
Didn't FGR go through a season or two known as Stroud United? Even having grown up in the area, I'd find it hard to locate Forest Green on a map. Or in real life. But it is a good name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #107 on: 08 March, 2016, 05:53:47 pm »
The did, and during that time the support fell away, so they changed it back.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #108 on: 08 March, 2016, 06:02:44 pm »
They need a really catchy, funky, snazzy name: Junction 13 Jammers should do it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #109 on: 11 March, 2016, 06:40:04 pm »
And now foopball has eaten Steve McLaren.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #110 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:25:58 am »
Rafa Benitez is convinced that he can keep Newcastle in the Premiership.
But not that convinced, as he has a get out clause in his contract that allows him to walk away if they end up in the Championship.

« Reply #111 on: 18 March, 2016, 01:33:51 pm »
UEFA hardly needs a good reason to hammer Liverpool and Man Utd, last nights crowd trouble isn't going to go down well at all.
I would not be surprised at closed-door games in euro competitions, or even bans.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #112 on: 11 May, 2016, 07:37:32 pm »
Forest Green have got Mark Cooper as manager next season.  In 2014-15 he was managing Swindon Town, and did very well, getting them to the League 1 play-offs.  Unfortunately the owner decided he was to blame for a dip in form and got rid of him, after which the team continued to perform disappointingly.  He's a good manager although he does tend to say what he thinks about referees.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #113 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:29:13 am »
We'll let you know how he gets on. He used to play for us. He takes over after Sunday, a rather most important match for us, against the fish. I was on Radio Humberside yesterday explaining where Forwst Green is, it's a huge story  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #114 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:35:15 pm »
Old Trafford "bomb" a device left behind after a dog-training exercise by "a private company".  Sadly Gary Lineker was either unable or unwilling to name names.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #115 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:41:14 pm »
I reckon this was part of the same exercise that involved the Traffod Centre earlier last week, the news report did say that other venues were involved.

A while ago I went to an anti-terrorist training lecture and there were a few cassette tape box training incendiary devices taped under desks. I found one and got to keep it. I used to use it in training exercises for my buildings.

I wish I knew where it ended up...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #116 on: 15 May, 2016, 11:08:26 pm »

Cue the joke about most ManU supporters living in Surrey, though even in my first few months in this country I knew  they weren't resettled Mancunians.

My favourite ManU/referee bias joke...

ManU supporter to Neutral: "I missed the match - what was the result"
Neutral: "It was a draw: 1-1"
ManU supporter: "Oh!  Who missed our penalty?"
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #117 on: 16 May, 2016, 10:20:35 am »
Old Trafford "bomb" a device left behind after a dog-training exercise by "a private company".  Sadly Gary Lineker was either unable or unwilling to name names.

Security Search Management & Solutions Ltd were used to help carry out theoretical and practical dog training exercises.

The company, which are registered in Kent, were hired for the exercise by United’s usual dog trainers, Deacons Canines.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #118 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:08:14 am »
Damn!  Part of me was hoping it was G4S or Serco.

« Reply #119 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »
I suppose it's appropriate that the company is registered in Kent, they wouldn't want to be associated with anyone local would they?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #120 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:10:14 pm »
They often have to delay the kick-off at Old Trafford because the M6 is closed south of Mordor, y'know.

« Reply #121 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:42:14 pm »
They often have to delay the kick-off at Old Trafford because the M6 is closed south of Mordor, y'know.

The M6 continues south of Mordor?

You learn something new every day.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #122 on: 16 May, 2016, 01:40:00 pm »
What a shitty day. First I lose my backpack and then the stadium gets evacuated  :-[

63 Thoughts Everyone Who’s Accidentally Left A Fake Bomb In Old Trafford Has Had

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/weve-all-done-it?utm_term=.nsZQRJP2G#.hrz2EMJR6
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #123 on: 16 May, 2016, 07:40:35 pm »
What a shitty day. First I lose my backpack and then the stadium gets evacuated  :-[

Total and utter incompetence on behalf of Chris Reid who was responsible for the company.  Hopefully he will not be employed in this area again.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boss-security-firm-centre-old-11341610

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/16/owner-of-security-firm-blamed-for-man-utd-old-trafford-bomb-scar/

Having been involved in similar scenarios, the golden rule is to never assume and always make the physical check that any devices have been retrieved.  Clearly the man has displayed gross incompetence.

« Reply #124 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:03:24 am »
...and will be the next Chief Constable of South Yorkshire.