Author Topic: AUK DIY perm super Saturday (and Sunday)  (Read 2654 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
AUK DIY perm super Saturday (and Sunday)
« on: 02 August, 2020, 11:06:02 am »
Where did you go on your first weekend of DIYs?

We did a loop of Dartmoor, 3000m ascent, ended up being 220km for me after I'd got home

Great to be eating cheap overpriced sandwiches on a Texaco forecourt in Hatherleigh

Re: AUK DIY perm super Saturday (and Sunday)
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2020, 11:12:39 am »
Went up to see me Mam & Dad, for socially distanced fish & chips.

Smelled the sea for the first time in forever.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:54:56 pm »
Group ride of 6 enjoyed the foxy 200km diy perm from portsdown hill.
11es at the lions den cafe ,hazlemere for a outside tea anf cake
Picnic lunch at silchester complete with roman history and a tap in the church yard for bottles
Afternoon stop at the wonston arms for 3 fine pints!
Finished at the fox and hounds for more refreshment.

Great day out with my mates
Got home at 9ish for a curry and 140miles in my legs.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:29:29 pm »
A DIY 200 of my calendar event that was supposed to have been last weekend;

No matter what peeps here might say there is definitely (for me at least) an incentive to push the distance from just a bike ride to one that qualifies for AUK / RRTY validation

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »
A DIY 200k.  I started doing these and the RRtY as an incentive to keep doing long rides in my retirement.  The last 200 that I did was in early March, and over the last few months the longest ride that I've done was 110k so I wasn't sure how it would go.  I suppose without the points I couldn't be arsed.

Turned out fine, despite the gusty winds I completed the ride in (for me) a good time and not feeling too knackered. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:33:26 pm »
Meridian Hills perm to restart my AAARtY and GdSRtY. Perfect conditions for riding, great to see so many other cyclists out and about.

rob

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:47:07 pm »
Meridian Hills perm to restart my AAARtY and GdSRtY. Perfect conditions for riding, great to see so many other cyclists out and about.

Entered that right before lockdown and have since moved.  I’ll need to make a trip back at some point.

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:16:57 pm »
Entered that right before lockdown and have since moved.  I’ll need to make a trip back at some point.

I can recommend Around Weald Expedition as well for a similar distance and elevation. Both a great day out.

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:45:33 am »
Was planning to do my favorite ride - my Cambrian Nocturnal 200k (see Ride Reports) from Aberystwyth starting at Midnight (00.00am Sat 1st August).  However, Wales is still mostly closed, especially during the night and the 24hr Mc'Donalds at Newtown is no longer open during the night! (note: this is usually a control for the Plains 300k in April and unlikely to be open 24hrs again partly because of the new by-pass which is now open).

I checked to see what would be open like 24hr petrol stations but they too are now closed. 

Now contemplating Ian Hennessy's Sea & Levels 200k perm from Clevedon to Lyme Regis and back in the next couple of weeks.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:22:28 am »
(not a DIY and only 191km)

Exact opposite to fboab - I rode here:

The furthest point in the UK from the coast - near Coton In The Elms in South Derbyshire.

Great day, only a few drops of rain, but a bit of a headwind going south. Nice to be in some flat(ter) countryside for the first time since September (still clocked up 3000m+ of ascent primarily in the first/last 50/60km)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:52:13 am »
I did a route check for a new KWAC calendar event on 8th November which probably won't happen! Still, it'll be ready for next year or the year after...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3856880364

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:05:34 am »
 It would great to add a new "rider(s) of the month" from Super Saturday (or Sunday) to the website - so if you have anything suitable please send your photo and some brief details - who, what ride, where the photo was taken etc to webcontent@audax.uk. To see previous incumbents in this slot head to https://audax.uk/static-data/riders-of-the-months

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2020, 02:38:22 pm »
I rode the 140km Avon Cycleway with the organiser of the calendar event (Bairdy) and another friend.  I turned it into a 200km by heading out at 4:30AM to do a 60km loop heading west from Bristol up Tog Hill toward Chippenham, turning off along the Fosse Way (not the off road bit) to Grittleton and back to home at Bristol for Beans on Toast. Headed out again to meet the others at 8:00 and had an excellent day out, including chips and tea sat in the Courtyard at Scarlets in Clevedon overlooking the Sea. The final 30-40km are pretty tough as the route gets into the Somerset hills which made the ice cream at Warmley station cafe even more appreciated.

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2020, 03:13:43 pm »
Three of us rode the route of the Willy Warmer 200k.  Needless to say this was a much warmer Willy than the January calendar event.

The usual lunch stop of the Tutti Pole tea shop in Hungerford was closed (unsurprising given it's fairly compact and without any outside seating), but there were other options open and we found a cafe on the corner further up the street that was airy and not too crowded.

megajoulesexpenditure

• More Pedalling Less Paperwork
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2020, 02:01:47 pm »
A DIY of my own Snow Hare 200k from Galashiels to Sanquhar over the beautiful Spango valley pass and back.

Oh how good it felt to be back out AUK'ing about 8) :thumbsup:

bairn again

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2020, 03:10:51 pm »
A DIY of my own Snow Hare 200k from Galashiels to Sanquhar over the beautiful Spango valley pass and back.

That looks a beautiful ride Lucy.  I think Ive only ridden that valley once, last year heading north at dusk on Martin Foleys Southern Uplands with just over 300km in my legs - and it was lovely.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2020, 05:37:53 pm »
A damp start but hot finale for my 200km DIY to Sand Bay

Eddington Number 75

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2020, 08:06:49 pm »
I had entered one, but ended up making a social visit to an old friend.  We did manage a pointless bike ride.  In any case, I'm not that bothered about collecting points endlessly in twos. 

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
A DIY 200 of my calendar event that was supposed to have been last weekend;

No matter what peeps here might say there is definitely (for me at least) an incentive to push the distance from just a bike ride to one that qualifies for AUK / RRTY validation
I rode the AAA Milne, a 100k with 1.75 AAA points around the most beautiful lanes of the Ashdown Forest area, a brilliant day out, so thanks to Martin (AKA GdS) for coming up with the idea. My second time round I think. Great day. Recommended.
(Better if it's not the first serious day out on the bike for 18 months though...) An excellent way to begin the fitness treadmill.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2020, 11:46:10 pm »
I did a ride over the Otterburn ranges. Took my time saw a few friends (unplanned) thoroughly enjoyed it. But I  really do need points to give purpose.

megajoulesexpenditure

• More Pedalling Less Paperwork
« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2020, 07:13:52 am »
Thanks Bairn,

Here's hoping you can come and do it as an event next year :) :thumbsup:

That looks a beautiful ride Lucy.  I think Ive only ridden that valley once, last year heading north at dusk on Martin Foleys Southern Uplands with just over 300km in my legs - and it was lovely.   :thumbsup: