Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 98687 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #100 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:03:48 am »
Last night: Slicks off, knobblys on. This morning, cycle the several hundreds of yards to work along a round that already had compacted snow on the ground. No falls. Hurrah. Nice to see motorists driving cautiously. Hmmmmm, will that last?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

CycleCindy

« Reply #101 on: 01 December, 2010, 11:07:00 am »
I could have commuted in today but...having mounted my bike on the drive, I soon realized I had underestimated just how icy the slope was. Lost control of the bike, bike fell to the left far too quickly to do anything about it...I fell into the flowerbed. Hubby found it hilarious, of course.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #102 on: 01 December, 2010, 04:52:51 pm »
Over 8 inches of snow. The buses weren't running. Walked for 70 mins to the station,  then some nice snow-encrusted trains to London. On the return trip, there was nowt out of St Pancras, so I'm now aboard London Midland's finest to Tamworth.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #103 on: 01 December, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »
I could have commuted in today but...having mounted my bike on the drive, I soon realized I had underestimated just how icy the slope was. Lost control of the bike, bike fell to the left far too quickly to do anything about it...I fell into the flowerbed. Hubby found it hilarious, of course.

Ouch.  I  don't find it hilarious, it's so easy to do this kind of thing and break something.

« Reply #104 on: 01 December, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
... I'm feeling a bit cruddy and not up to cycling on the iffy bits of snow again.  Actually I'm feeling a bit grotty even considering the walk to Gloucester Road Tube Station, which isn't a good sign. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #105 on: 01 December, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
The locks are frozen on my shed so I couldn't get my bike.
My pal Colin cycled from Granton to Chesser House, where he tried to lock his bike on the stand. The key snapped off in the lock.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #106 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:10:07 am »
...the only way I'm getting to work would be if I rode all the way.

If Southeastern trains were to hold their Christmas party in a brewery this year, I wouldn't put money on anyone coming away from it drunk.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #107 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:05:25 am »
They could share the planning with Southern Railways. There would be even less chance ::-).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #108 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »
going back to the thread title....

I left my bike at work last night cos I was dining at Buckingham Palace and there is, apparently, nowhere to leave a bike (which was a relief as I was in full white tie regalia).  When I left, I wished I had been on the bike as I had to bung a ludicrously large tip to a cabbie to get him to agree to take me home (sarf of the river an all that.)  Coming home tonight wasn't too bad on the main roads as the traffic, curiously, wasn't that heavy so I didn't get much hassle when in primary, but as soon as I got off the A-roads I had to wheel the bike as the local roads were just sheet ice. 

Picking up ItsBruce's comments, I was glad to be on fixed tonight.  It just felt a little more secure, but I don't know why.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #109 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:09:51 am »
...I was dining at Buckingham Palace...

As you do...
Getting there...

« Reply #110 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:35:18 am »
Meh. slept in. Checked weather (from the warmth of the duvet; smartphones are lovely). -9 and falling. contemplated the 8 miles of ice I had last night having turned into 27miles of ice. Check trains. they are running on time.
Go to station and buy ticket. fecking trains aren't running on time, and the one I did catch didn't have heating. Now -14 outside York - so the icy roads wouldn't have been slippery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #111 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:43:51 am »
...I was dining at Buckingham Palace...

As you do...

Yeah, just chucked that in to see who would bite  ;)  I was actually just there accompanying Lady Redlight who was the official guest.  When I explained this to whichever royal it was were were presented to he (they all look the same to me) he said: "ah, so you're just here for decoration."  I felt so proud. but now we're right off topic.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #112 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:51:41 am »
...I  decide to walk in but they changed my mind and cycled in anyone.

It doesn't sno properly in SW London (again the law I think) and we seem to have more of the world's rock salt collection this year.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #113 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:59:17 am »
I just checked on Google Streetview, and there's definitely some railing around Buck House that you could have locked a bike to, although it's possible that the local security (I think called the Met Police or something like that) may have had issues with you doing that. ;D

I decided to public transport it again, since I'm still feeling a little bit off colour, and didn't really fancy the extra effort of cycling in, especially since it's a little bit nippier out today than it was (LGW has -5°C and LHR has -3°C currently).  Of course, the District Line picked almost the exact time I arrived at Wimbledon to fall over entirely, so I took a somewhat more circuitous route, which got me to work, only more slowly. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #114 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:23:49 pm »

so I took a somewhat more circuitous route, which got me to work, only more slowly. :-\
The yellow line doesn't go through Wimbledon.
 ;D

« Reply #115 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:41:47 pm »

so I took a somewhat more circuitous route, which got me to work, only more slowly. :-\
 ;D

It doesn't run in a circle any more either.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #116 on: 03 December, 2010, 01:46:40 pm »

;D

It doesn't run in a circle any more either.
Quite - which makes it all the more circuitous...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #117 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »
Hmm.  Looking at the clear forecast for the week ahead, I put the M+ tyres back on and took the spikes off.  Now the pointless incompetents at the Met Office are forecasting light snow for 3am tonight  >:(

I might have to drive in, but I think my winter tyres for *that* have arrived at the fitters, so I could pop over and get them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #118 on: 22 December, 2010, 05:58:38 pm »
1) the bike was in the garage
2) the garage lock was frozen and I couldn't open the door  :(
3) the can of lock de-icer was in the pannier on the bike in the garage...  :( :(
4) plan B was to warm the lock up with a gas stove - I found the canister in the unheated conservatory
5) it's filled with butane, of course  ???
6) the butane was too cold to vapourise...  :( :( :(

I gave up at this point and reverted to shanks' pony... It's cold out there.

Nightfly

« Reply #119 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
This morning I peered out from under the duvet. Everything looked white, so thought by far the best course of action was to beat a hasty retreat back under the duvet.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #120 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:30:41 am »
I have been laid low by the worst cold I've had in a very long time.  And while I've been indoors, most of the snow seems to have vanished from London streets.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #121 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:58:37 am »
I have been laid low by the worst cold I've had in a very long time.  And while I've been indoors, most of the snow seems to have vanished from London streets.

Oh dear GWS.  Xmas over eating will help  ;D

« Reply #122 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »
the office is closed, because of holidays!

« Reply #123 on: 23 December, 2010, 04:25:50 pm »
And while I've been indoors, most of the snow seems to have vanished from London streets.

Ermm... I think we might have it - would you like to come and collect it and take it home please.

« Reply #124 on: 04 January, 2011, 05:29:07 pm »
My name is Sergeant Pluck and I have not commuted by bike since Christmas Eve  :-[