Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336483 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2300 on: 05 May, 2020, 04:23:21 pm »
Congrats
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2301 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:10:23 pm »
Having to go to the supermarket and do my own shopping rather than having it delivered reminds me. I do the self scan thing whenever possible so I don’t have to interact with anyone unnecessarily.
Question. Why can’t manufactures get together and decide on a common location for bar codes. Indeed, why can’t individual manufactures be consistent. It’d make shopping so much easier if you didn’t have to play hunt the barcode with every item.
And another thing, why can’t they do the same with cooking instructions. It’s a right royal pain in the bum when you are cooking more than one item and you’ve got to search for the instructions every time you pick up a box. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2302 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:17:49 pm »
Aldi, or maybe it's Lidl – perhaps both, put the barcodes on every surface. Supposedly. But I don't think they do self scan.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2303 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:33:26 am »
Self-scan in Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles remains a no-no for this Unit as it requires a Nectar card.  And I haven't used mine since they decided to get into bed with the Daily Heil.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2304 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:32:36 am »
Really? I've used self-scan in Sainsbury's without a Nectar card.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2305 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:40:24 am »
Really? I've used self-scan in Sainsbury's without a Nectar card.

Self scan (what Sainsbury call Smart Shop) or a self operating till?  The former is where you zap your goodies with a Frikkin Laser as you walk round the store and according to the website requires a Nectar card. The latter is the "unexpected item in bagging area" thing which doesn't.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2306 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:58:25 am »
Self-operating till. What they call an ACO, pronounced "ucka", in Downunderland. They don't do the other in any of the Sainsbos I frequent so I wasn't particularly aware of its existence, though I've seen it in The Posh People's Co-op (the green and white chain famously frequented by Wowbagger).

« Reply #2307 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:40:39 pm »
Due to what's now referred to as coconut tea in our house at decree of the 8 year old and associated madness we haven't been able to get any plain flour

Had to make my pizza with strong and self raising as opposed to strong and plain. Also had to use cheddar as no mozzarella and passata as no puree (last two were down to a meal planning error ahead of weekly shop rather then shortages)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2308 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:22:30 am »
It's the back of Eleven and I've eaten my dinner already.
This is why I usually buy my dinner at lunch time.

« Reply #2309 on: 13 May, 2020, 01:06:39 pm »
Self-scan in Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles remains a no-no for this Unit as it requires a Nectar card.  And I haven't used mine since they decided to get into bed with the Daily Heil.

tl;dr if you pay with credit/debit cards then you're still giving them the same information that can be linked to you in just the same way. They don't need a nectar card to do this, they just need one (or more) constants such as payment cards. If you've ever used those cards (or previous versions of those cards) with a nectar card then they've already linked them to that other information.

Longer version:-

I got a half price Garmin thanks to my Nectar card (in a roundabout way). I also get ~£100 a year for using my Nectar card.

A few years ago our work health insurance was through Vitality. This meant I'd get 'Vitality points' for doing healthy things (and giving some information to the company obviously, but then they had some sort of access to my medical records anyway). I linked my Garmin Connect account so it would give me points for cycling (commuting), running, etc. I got points for linking my Parkrun account and for each parkrun I ran. But the most points I got was from buying fresh fruit from Sainsbury's (which it got via my Nectar card which I linked) - I didn't eat the fruit, it was mostly for my wife/daughter, but Vitality don't know that. They just thought I ate more healthily than I do just through my shopping habits.

This was enough to push me up to the top tier of Vitality points which gave me 50% off a Garmin. I bought a brand new one and sold my existing one for essentially a free upgrade.

If I'm using Sainsbury's anyway (it's my closest supermarket and handily there is one between home and daughter's primary school) then I'd rather take the free money (it's about £100 a year through Nectar points for me) and give them a little bit of my personal information and buying habits (albeit confused by buying for 2 other people in the house).

Without a Nectar card I'd still buy things in Sainsbury's, and still give them pretty much the same data but instead of being linked by a Nectar card it's linked by a limited set of payment cards (who uses cash?!?) and not get the £100 a year in kickbacks.

I've fallen out of the habit of using the reloadable gift cards which we could buy through work for a 5% discount. That means a £300 shop (which I'm doing every 2 weeks or so) would give me £15 back. I really should as that's close to £400 a year for just a bit of faff remembering to top the cards up each time.

(*Checks*, they now do "instant vouchers" for Sainsbury's which can be bought at a 5% discount and used to part or full pay a bill. All through rewardgateway.co.uk which I think many different companies use for their rewards system. I can still buy the vouchers with credit cards too, so I keep on getting air miles.)

The first world problem is obviously that it's a bit of a faff to remember to do vouchers/etc ahead of time in order to save close to £400 a year.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2310 on: 13 May, 2020, 01:15:00 pm »
I keep forgetting our Pure Card through work gives cashback off Sainsbo's. It's not like I'm spending it on clothes in JLP or M&S at the moment ..
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2311 on: 13 May, 2020, 01:31:32 pm »
tl;dr if you pay with credit/debit cards then you're still giving them the same information that can be linked to you in just the same way. They don't need a nectar card to do this, they just need one (or more) constants such as payment cards. If you've ever used those cards (or previous versions of those cards) with a nectar card then they've already linked them to that other information.

What then, is the point in a Nectar card?

« Reply #2312 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:19:22 pm »
My Versa smartwatch only tells the correct time if I first sync it with my phone, a process that involves turning bluetooth on-and-off-again EVERY FECKING TIME.

Apparently it's 14:49 now.

Even aside from the whole WHAT THE FECK-ness of this, no alarms work, and I get more than an hour to do an hours worth of steps.

As I said. What. The.

Watches have been around for yonks (Google tells me 1505). I might as well have a bedside sundial.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2313 on: 13 May, 2020, 03:44:54 pm »

Some time earlier this year, Sainsbo's had 2-tier pricing, with some groceries cheaper for those with Nectar.
Muggins fell for that and now has a Nectar.

They've not sold cheaper comestibles since those three weeks.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2314 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:15:28 pm »
Watches have been around for yonks (Google tells me 1505). I might as well have a bedside sundial.

How last century. At least have a digital sundial
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2315 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:40:32 pm »

As I said. What. The.

That's a bit restrained for you  ;).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2316 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:13:04 pm »
Computers Are Really Bad At Being Clocks Episode #3742

« Reply #2317 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:56:41 pm »

For the companies:
* Makes it easier to track than having to work it from payment cards, they get more of your details when you register and willingly give them it
* Spans companies (I get Nectar points for eBay purchases, filling up at some petrol stations, etc) so more data
* Some people are more likely to use specific companies if they can get Nectar points (brand awareness, etc)

For individuals:
* Discounts and rewards across lots of shops
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2318 on: 14 May, 2020, 11:27:01 am »

[snip]

It's not the privacy that's the issue here, it's the fact of Nectar doing business with the Daily Mail at all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2319 on: 15 May, 2020, 07:45:09 pm »
Neither the Co-op or Tesco had white wine vinegar.   How do the local students cook? 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2320 on: 15 May, 2020, 07:50:18 pm »
Neither the Co-op or Tesco had white wine vinegar.   How do the local students cook?

Smokily?

<FX: BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2321 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:10:05 pm »
All those pianos that are played for my entertainment online during lock-down are going out of tune...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2322 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:53:15 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2323 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:04:54 am »
Gender reveal scan reveals baby's gender.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/it-devastated-me-bristol-mums-4172602

Or possibly "Brave sonographer tries to put a stop to this nonsense before death toll rises"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2324 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:45:29 pm »
Just watching the live feed from the Dragon capsule.  One of the astronauts appears to be having trouble with the seal on a freezer bag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight