Author Topic: Camping with a Camper Longflap  (Read 17756 times)

Nick H.

Re: Camping with a Camper Longflap
« Reply #25 on: 03 August, 2021, 07:01:39 pm »
Camping should only be done old school, with a manservant to do all the packing and unpacking.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:11:33 am »
Oh dear. Alpkit are selling off their Pipedream 400 down sleeping bag, which they give a comfort rating according to the standard at -4C (I'll take that as "usable down to zero"), for £170. I think they're no longer producing it or something. Supposedly packs to 25 x 18cm or smaller if you squash it. Could I let myself be tempted? Have they been reading YACF? If they'd hurry up and open their announced Bristol shop, I could go along and squeeze it.

I'd go for it.  You need a fancy sleeping bag, which if you're like me you won't use as often as you'd like (*), much more than you need £170  :thumbsup:  Am I helping?  ;D

(*) I have a number of items of cycling equipment which get used less often than I'd like but I still think I was justified in buying.  The most notable example would be Fred's lightweight wheel set complete with dyno hub and fancy brake discs.  They are currently in the loft and haven't seen the light of day for over a year.  Strava tells me they have done a total of 2118.6 miles and I have had them for years  ::-)

« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2021, 07:02:09 am »
Alpkit are very good on returns so you are not really buying it until you have actually slept in it!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:07:34 am »
OD, Chris, you owe me £85 each!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:08:48 am »
(*) I have a number of items of cycling equipment which get used less often than I'd like but I still think I was justified in buying.  The most notable example would be Fred's lightweight wheel set complete with dyno hub and fancy brake discs.  They are currently in the loft and haven't seen the light of day for over a year.  Strava tells me they have done a total of 2118.6 miles and I have had them for years  ::-)
Lightweight wheels (or lightweight anything) on a Trucker? What were you thinking?!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #30 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:47:50 am »

No problem, just give me a ring and I will happily provide you with credit card details  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:50:23 am »
Lightweight wheels (or lightweight anything) on a Trucker? What were you thinking?!

Actually, I'll have you know, they do make a significant difference, it's like having two bikes  :thumbsup:  But I would agree with your broader point, [Disc] Truckers are ambivalent to added or removed weight, which is their charm I think.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:52:41 am »
I'm sure they do. I don't have a Trucker but the touring bike I do have is pretty heavy (probably not as heavy as a Trucker) but better wheels made a huge difference to it. I guess it's always an easy point for manufacturers to make savings in their stock builds.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2021, 12:17:19 pm »
Agreed! 

Fred's heavy duty hoops were built by the legendary Harry Rowland and since trued following abuse by our very own BFC.  The light hoops by Malcolm of Glemsford.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2021, 12:23:44 pm »
BFC?

« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2021, 01:08:04 pm »
I have a small collection of pics of camping touring bikes with Carradice Longflaps (how sad those words seem as I type them):

:)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2021, 01:08:20 pm »
BFC?

BFC of this parish in general and Mid-Essex in particular!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:23:37 pm »
I have a small collection of pics of camping touring bikes with Carradice Longflaps (how sad those words seem as I type them):

:)
Excellent! Though I do note that only the last one shows a Longflap without other luggage.

I like the yellow bike but I'm not too sure it's wise to drink Fairy liquid. Or were you planning on doing an awful lot of washing up?  :D

« Reply #38 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:24:23 pm »

Excellent! Though I do note that only the last one shows a Longflap without other luggage.

I like the yellow bike but I'm not too sure it's wise to drink Fairy liquid. Or were you planning on doing an awful lot of washing up?  :D

It isn't me, I'd need to carry a set of steps to get on that frame, but I do like to arrive clean

This may be the kit from the Longflap.

« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2021, 01:11:40 am »
The 2nd and 4th photos are me

The 4th photo (blue Longstaff) was an experimental night at the Blackmore C&CC site near Malvern
Kit List (from original post):
Tent: Hilleberg Akto (might use a Laser Comp if I get serious about reducing weight)
Sleeping bag: PHD Minim 300 & silk liner (in an eVent compression sack)
Mat: Thermarest Prolite 3 3/4 length.
Off-the-bike clothing: lightweight trousers, warm thermal top, undies, Rab Generator jacket (lighter/warmer/smaller-packing than fleece)
Brew kit: small (100g) gas cylinder plus clip-on feet, Optimus Crux fold-up stove, Optimus Terra Solo pan, fold-up spoon (a set similar to this), lighter, tub of powdered milk, 5 tea bags, 1 helping of muesli, fold-up mug and bowl (Orikaso). The evening meal was down at the pub. I didn't use the powdered milk, having stuffed a pint bought en-route into the spare bottle cage.
miscellaneous: mp3, paperback, toothbrush
2 tubes, normal touring toolkit (LH side pocket)
Waterproof jacket (RH side pocket) & hat.

The conclusion was that there wasn't space for anything in the way of food, and it would be easier if I could liberate extra space in the saddlebag by moving the sleeping bag out.

The 2nd photo (Singular Peregine), was going up onto the Ridgeway en route to the Barge at Honeystreet, for a club long weekend tour.
Sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, silk liner, and mat (original Neoair short) were in the Event drysack on a small front rack, and the saddlebag was less stuffed as a result. No warm jacket, but a bit more in the way of respectable off-bike clothing and breakfast food.

More recently, outside Drakes bothy at the start of a tour of the Cairgorm area

The same drysack strapped to the handlebar, with silk liner, inflatable pillow, Cumulus Comforter L430 quilt.
In the saddlebag, the Xtherm regular mat, freeze-dried main meals, muesli, & teabags for 5 days, dried milk, a platybottle, an MSR Windpro stove with 230g canister, concertina windshield, the same Terra solo pot and Orikaso mug & dish, and, dare I say it, an Alite Mayfly chair.

The Sea to Summit eVent drybags work well for squeezing down sleeping bags - they stuff normally, with no special techniques, struggle or resulting risk of damage to the baffles, and then compress with the straps, the trapped air getting squeezed out through the eVent base.

« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2021, 04:20:31 am »
 :thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing
I like the chair :)

« Reply #41 on: 05 August, 2021, 07:16:46 am »
A Nigerian prince has left me £75 million which I would like to share with you so if you send me your credit card details I will give it all to you and then you can give me half minus the £85.  I will need your name, credit card number and the three digits on the back to prove that I am giving the £85 to the right person

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:46:01 am »
Useful post Andrew_S.

en route to the Barge at Honeystreet,
What was your experience of the Barge? Stayed there several years ago on a long weekend of the Wylye valley organized by JBB otp with Kim, Wowbagger, Nikki, and the place was... an experience.

« Reply #43 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:16:43 pm »
A party bongo playing round the fire until about 03:30 is what it was like.
The trip was a fair while ago, and a repeat experience led me to give the place up, and use the Swan (?) at Wilcot instead.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:04:04 am »
Our experience was exactly the same. The food in the pub was good, but that was the only thing (unless your idea were to party round the fire with bongos till dawn).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 06 August, 2021, 12:22:31 pm »
Because no mention of the Barge Inn should go without a link to that thread as a warning to future generations: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91360.msg1918037#msg1918037

« Reply #46 on: 06 August, 2021, 12:30:22 pm »
I was on a different site within the last month.   Rules were clear that no noise after 23:00 and all radios should be off.

At 21:55 one camper yelled "we have children here trying to sleep, can everybody shut up!"

I sniggered, but was also impressed that an entire campsite complied.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 06 August, 2021, 01:24:07 pm »
I was on a different site within the last month.   Rules were clear that no noise after 23:00 and all radios should be off.

At 21:55 one camper yelled "we have children here trying to sleep, can everybody shut up!"

I have a confession to make...

Ordinarily I am scathing when it comes to noise after dark on campsites, over the years I have been camping the problem has got worse.  I am equally scathing about campsite owners / managers who don't enforce their own rules, I can think of one in many years of camping who did.  However...

During the summer of 2017 I was camping in France with the fam and we were accompanied by another member of this parish and their fam.  One night, after all the kiddies and spouses had gone to bed me and aforementioned member sat up making steady progress through a bottle of pastis.  We were chatting but not in loud tones but sound carries across campsites doesn't it?  Suddenly from the darkness appeared a fast moving and irate French lady who delivered an exasperated "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in our faces with accompanying finger to lips gesture.  We apologised, felt embarrassed and went to bed.  We should have known better  :-[

« Reply #48 on: 06 August, 2021, 01:34:26 pm »

Ordinarily I am scathing when it comes to noise after dark on campsites, over the years I have been camping the problem has got worse.  I am equally scathing about campsite owners / managers who don't enforce their own rules, I can think of one in many years of camping who did.  However...

During the summer of 2017 I was camping in France with the fam and we were accompanied by another member of this parish and their fam.  One night, after all the kiddies and spouses had gone to bed me and aforementioned member sat up making steady progress through a bottle of pastis.  We were chatting but not in loud tones but sound carries across campsites doesn't it?  Suddenly from the darkness appeared a fast moving and irate French lady who delivered an exasperated "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in our faces with accompanying finger to lips gesture.  We apologised, felt embarrassed and went to bed.  We should have known better  :-[

What!!! You were on a french campsite without a bar-resto/disco/ boîte de nuit serving the autochtones at 3am?? :facepalm: :o :o tell me who it was and I'll put in a complaint to the Michelin camping guide immediately. Not even pendant le confinement, shocking story, will definitely make TF1 prime time viewing!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 06 August, 2021, 01:43:36 pm »

What!!! You were on a french campsite without a bar-resto/disco/ boîte de nuit serving the autochtones at 3am?? :facepalm: :o :o tell me who it was and I'll put in a complaint to the Michelin camping guide immediately. Not even pendant le confinement, shocking story, will definitely make TF1 prime time viewing!

Hopefully you were at least downwind of some open-air urinals?