Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625512 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1500 on: 12 March, 2012, 05:57:09 pm »
The lazy gits at eBay just flip the "You're in safe hands when you shop on eBay" image (of the smug woman in the pink top) when you move between the homepage and the login screen.  Are we supposed to think they paid for two photos?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1501 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »
If you are going to ride a bike and drive to a nice place to do it - it helps if you remember to take your cycling shoes with you :facepalm:

I've just spent a nice day walking around Carlisle looking at the scenery instead of cycling ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1502 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
I never forget my cycling shoes.  O:-)

But then I don't tend to forget to put shoes on when I go out, and any shoes will do for cycling in!  ;)

In fact, the only time I've forgotten shoes was when we did the ride to Tan Hill, and I was going on to stay with MFWHTBAB the week after, and forgot to send any normal shoes over with him and my luggage, so I only had my SPDs for the trike. We had to buy some cheap pumps in ASDA for the week.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1503 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:44:11 am »
Which moron parent thought an unlimited texts/unlimited orange-orange calls contract was a good idea for No2Daughter.  :facepalm:

3 texts and 2 calls on the way to work.
Child, I love you dearly, but when I'm riding my bike, and you know I'm riding my bike, it's actually a pain to stop and answer your calls/ texts. I work on the principle that calls are urgent, so have to stop.
Of course the pringles and randoms were for you- I told you that last night when you said thank you for getting you fancy lunch for your trip.
And yes, it's nice to know you love me, but can it wait till I've got to work? Please? Please?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1504 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:36:30 am »
If you are going to ride a bike and drive to a nice place to do it - it helps if you remember to take your cycling shoes with you :facepalm:

I've just spent a nice day walking around Carlisle looking at the scenery instead of cycling ::-)

One of our club members turned up at a reliability trial and discovered his shoes were not there. So he rode on clipless in his sandshoes.. It got a bit painful at the end as the pace went up.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1505 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
Which moron parent thought an unlimited texts/unlimited orange-orange calls contract was a good idea for No2Daughter.  :facepalm:

3 texts and 2 calls on the way to work.
Child, I love you dearly, but when I'm riding my bike, and you know I'm riding my bike, it's actually a pain to stop and answer your calls/ texts. I work on the principle that calls are urgent, so have to stop.
Of course the pringles and randoms were for you- I told you that last night when you said thank you for getting you fancy lunch for your trip.
And yes, it's nice to know you love me, but can it wait till I've got to work? Please? Please?
:facepalm:
I get this one. But can't hear the phone because of the traffic noise.

So when I stop and see the 3 txts, 6 missed calls and ring back and get an angry "why didn't you answer your phone." my response back should make sense "Because I was on a dual carriageway with cars passing at 70mph and couldn't hear myself think".
Oh, but you are a teen, and hence the world revolves around you (resolves to turn phone off in future).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #1506 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
If you have Tasker on Android - it's not hard to write a script to recognise when you are cycling and have it automagically reply to texts/play a message to callers saying "I'm riding my bike at the moment, so b*gger off." Or words to that effect.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1507 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
My voice mail goes something like "If this call went straight to voicemail, I'm in a meeting - If this call rang out and then went to voicemail, I'm on my bike and can't hear it"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1508 on: 15 March, 2012, 11:02:20 am »
I usually don't hear my phone when I'm riding, and when I do I often choose to ignore it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1509 on: 15 March, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
This here hair dye sitting on my head right now is supposed to be less red & more purple than usual.
Based on the visual evidence thus far I suspect this to be a lie. If I leave here with a carrot head instead of a red head I will be less than impressed.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1510 on: 15 March, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »
If you have Tasker on Android - it's not hard to write a script to recognise when you are cycling and have it automagically reply to texts/play a message to callers saying "I'm riding my bike at the moment, so b*gger off." Or words to that effect.
Sounds interesting - how do you get it to recognise that you are cycling?  Time and location?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1511 on: 15 March, 2012, 02:44:40 pm »

One of our club members turned up at a reliability trial and discovered his shoes were not there. So he rode on clipless in his sandshoes.. It got a bit painful at the end as the pace went up.

An esteemed AUK arrived at the start of a ride with a pair of two left shoes and DNS.

Chris S

« Reply #1512 on: 15 March, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »
Sounds interesting - how do you get it to recognise that you are cycling?  Time and location?

Speed you're moving at. If you're moving at 6-30mph, and the phone isn't in the Car Dock, you're probably cycling. Best to override it when on public transport. The alternative is a manual switch to turn on/off a cycling mode.

« Reply #1513 on: 19 March, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »
Urk...

Brain fog, please to wander off and not be attacking me any more today, k?  It's making me feel vulnerable and I don't like that today! 

Note to self...when experiencing brain fog, please double check that you're not posting in the GroupOn thread instead of the Grumble thread...that was close!    ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1514 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:52:29 am »
I spent several hours working in a hospital yesterday.I felt fine & dandy before I went there.I've felt really unwelll for the past six hours.

« Reply #1515 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
Dear person-who-went-to-the-loo-before-me,

Please remove the sprinkler attachment from your dick. It's not pretty and its not clever.

kthxbai

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1516 on: 20 March, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »

Please remove the sprinkler attachment from your dick. It's not pretty and its not clever.

kthxbai

Are you volunteering to be the mohel?

« Reply #1517 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »
Damn body!

After a week of twingy wrists, I bought some tubular support bandage and it seems to be working wearing it at work.

So now my weak ankle is hurting instead.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1518 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:48:47 pm »
Damn body!

After a week of twingy wrists, I bought some tubular support bandage and it seems to be working wearing it at work.

So now my weak ankle is hurting instead.

It obviously feels left out and wants a bandage too :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1519 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »
More tubigrips!  You could totally rock the mummy look, what with being an archaeologist and all...

« Reply #1520 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »
Bloody cold. A week of it, & still not gone. And just when you've stopped keeping me awake coughing, I get bloody conjunctivitis for what I think is the first time in my life. I wanted to go cycling tomorrow evening, & try out my new light, but between the lingering bastard cold & the driving me crazy itchy red eyes I have to drip antibiotics into, I'm not going to make it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1521 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:39:12 pm »
More tubigrips!  You could totally rock the mummy look, what with being an archaeologist and all...

;D

I did wonder if I'm going to end up encased in one giant elastic support bandage. I'm not sure 'maggot' is a very attractive look though.

« Reply #1522 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:50:44 am »

kthxbai

Are you volunteering to be the mohel?

;D

« Reply #1523 on: 21 March, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
Why do I have a large and very sore bruise on my left upper arm, when I have no memory of doing anything to said arm? WTF?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1524 on: 21 March, 2012, 01:15:48 pm »
Oh gawd, my cow-workers are discussing the budget. Must be time to put teh headphones of joy upon my ears lest I lamp somebody.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.