Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625957 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2550 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »
Do we need a "What drugs have you taken toady?" thread?  This is supposed to be a cycling forum, after all...

'Ere! Who are you calling 'toady'?   ;)

Oh, and the answer is Syndol (codeine, paracetamol, caffeine & doxylamine) - usual sore neck.  :(

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2551 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:04:21 pm »
And forgetting your glasses today was a great idea. Not that I had a whole day of reading, writing & computer stuff to do or anything.

Pillock.   ::-)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2552 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »
And forgetting your glasses today was a great idea. Not that I had a whole day of reading, writing & computer stuff to do or anything.

Pillock.   ::-)

S'ok I ran out of hearing aid batteries yesterday...  Scrounged one from my 2nd hearing aid for my physio appt but assumed I'd have some in the office as I have at least 2 places there should ALWAYS be a packet.  Neither had a packet so I had to walk home and get some more and replenish the stashes. 

I didn't have the option of doing without cos of 1 important (turned into 2) meetings and I hear *nothing* without a hearing aid.  :(  I have a spare pair of specs in my work drawer which are good enough to read with...

essexian

« Reply #2553 on: 29 November, 2012, 08:50:56 am »
Non drip paint, why, when used correctly, do you drip?

And Elma the cat, many thanks for walking on my newly painted woodwork. Your paw prints look lovely but that wasn't the look I was going for.  :facepalm:

« Reply #2554 on: 29 November, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »
IKEA Coventry: Kindly train your checkout staff to ask for car park tickets every time they serve a customer. I visit you very rarely, so don't remember and every time I get back to the car & have to return to the checkout to get the ticket validated. I bet I'm not the only one too...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2555 on: 29 November, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »
Note to self:

Putting curry in your mouth, small amounts at a time, is the route to 1) nom 2) not being hungry

Putting curry on the floor, all in one big go, does not achieve either of the two above Good Things.

:facepalm:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2556 on: 29 November, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »
There's a trailer being overplayed on the wireless for a programme presented by Peter Day about the ride of Berlin as a tech city.

Soundtrack is Autobahn by Kraftwerk.

I checked.  It would take you about six hours on the Autobahn to travel the nearly 600km from Berlin to Dusseldorf. :facepalm:
Getting there...

« Reply #2557 on: 29 November, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »
Boss, I know you're under a lot of stress, but forgetting to pass on the new code for that binstore, meaning we couldn't collect from it for the 3rd week running on Wednesday is annoying. Asking us to collect the stuff tomorrow instead on top of our normal round is more annoying, because a) we also have Xmas collection schedule leaflet deliveries to do which slows us down and b) there'll be bloody tonnes of stuff there, and c) I want to get off early to get a decent train (which is something I do by arrangement any Friday I'm heading over to Manchester.)

It's not a huge deal, but if I have to get the 16.26 it'll be packed, and very possibly miss the connection at Piccadilly, which happens to be the only train thus throwing me on the mercy of the trams, and delaying dinner.

On the upside, MFWHTBAB has made loads of progress on the DIY this week.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2558 on: 29 November, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »
There's a trailer being overplayed on the wireless for a programme presented by Peter Day about the ride of Berlin as a tech city.

I checked.  It would take you about six hours on the Autobahn to travel the nearly 600km from Berlin to Dusseldorf. :facepalm:

I love Berlin.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2559 on: 29 November, 2012, 11:00:15 pm »
Berlin is, I am led to believe, a hip, happening and funky place.

I've only been to Osnabruck.  It's lacking something.

Kraftwerk are so not a Berlin band.
Getting there...

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2560 on: 30 November, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »
My right eyelid has decided it likes going "twitch".  Probably my fault for pointing it at a monitor too many hours per day, but it's getting kind-of annoying...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2561 on: 30 November, 2012, 12:21:08 pm »

Kraftwerk are so not a Berlin band.

Yebbut, what of the Tangerine Dream back catalogue would you pick? ;)

(Actually the way to go would be ICE - Trans Europe Express)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2562 on: 30 November, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »
Mrs T is packing a bag for a weekend away with the girls.

She comes downstairs to show me her camera.

She has managed to break the battery door off it :(

Her favourite compact camera too!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2563 on: 30 November, 2012, 05:27:42 pm »
:(
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2564 on: 30 November, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
Office Bar has run out of beer. :(

Either need to stop drinking or switch to wine (spirits are banned, 'things' have happened in the past).

In vino veritas!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2565 on: 30 November, 2012, 07:20:21 pm »
Well, at least that's supposed to be the right order to do wine and beer ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2566 on: 30 November, 2012, 07:28:41 pm »
My right eyelid has decided it likes going "twitch".  Probably my fault for pointing it at a monitor too many hours per day, but it's getting kind-of annoying...

Could be worse.  A while ago my right eardrum decided it liked going twitch -resulting in an extremely distracting thub-thub-thub noise - and kept it up on and off for the best part of a week.  No amount of yawning or chewing or deliberately tensing the timpanic muscle (that's my really boring party trick) would stop it.  And when it did stop, sudden noises would set it off again.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2567 on: 30 November, 2012, 07:42:53 pm »
Office Bar has run out of beer. :(

Either need to stop drinking or switch to wine (spirits are banned, 'things' have happened in the past).

In vino veritas!

Hurrah!  After a whip-around, two intrepid souls have gone out to buy more beer and wine (had not realised we were out of the latter as well).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2568 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:17:31 am »
Oi.  Dyson.  When I press that button, there.  You're supposed to retract the cable.  I'm not supposed to get down on the floor, holding the button in with one hand, attempting to push the cable in short lengths into the drum.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2569 on: 01 December, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Spend afternoon sawing logs for friend. Go to Thee Pubbe for restorative BEER with friend. But what's this?

Not a Thee Pubbe with a television, but a new fangled twist: A bloke sitting at the bar with his iPad propped against the pumps, watching live streaming telly on it.

Gah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2570 on: 01 December, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »
Struggled to have an acceptable day. Sort of suceeded. Saved £490 on annual gas and electricity bills by switching suppliers using the interwebs. This did not compensate for ice on road preventing my 200k monthly ride. Grump. Went for a bit of a run. Worked out gpx files for a couple of audax events next year and sent them to the org. Now watching Attenborough on the box. Good. But am still all crosspatch and grumpyboots over this ice. Especially as illness means I've had no exercise for a month. Grump grump grump.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2571 on: 01 December, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »
Could be worse.  A while ago my right eardrum decided it liked going twitch -resulting in an extremely distracting thub-thub-thub noise - and kept it up on and off for the best part of a week.  No amount of yawning or chewing or deliberately tensing the timpanic muscle (that's my really boring party trick) would stop it.  And when it did stop, sudden noises would set it off again.
Or, applying Occam's razor, your neighbours were having a pretty major party.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2572 on: 02 December, 2012, 04:48:34 pm »
Spend afternoon sawing logs for friend. Go to Thee Pubbe for restorative BEER with friend. But what's this?

Not a Thee Pubbe with a television, but a new fangled twist: A bloke sitting at the bar with his iPad propped against the pumps, watching live streaming telly on it.

Gah.
This has been happening in one of our local pubs for some time.  At least they've had the grace to keep the volume turned down.  Better than a big screen anyway.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2573 on: 02 December, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »
Oi.  Dyson.  When I press that button, there.  You're supposed to retract the cable.  I'm not supposed to get down on the floor, holding the button in with one hand, attempting to push the cable in short lengths into the drum.

Mine does that for the last couple of feet of cable, but for added perversity, it has a habit of reeling the cable in all by itself when I'm not actually pressing on the cable rewind button.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2574 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
Dysons, 'nuff said.