Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625513 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6600 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »
Zombie iPod?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6601 on: 20 July, 2015, 07:49:20 am »
Awoke at 4:30 am to the sound of a mozzie singing sweetly in me lug, not a foot away from the delightful sprigs of citronella SWMBO had tucked into our bed-head.  Then lay awake until the rush-hour was over.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6602 on: 20 July, 2015, 07:51:35 am »
People who say "guesstimate" can fuck off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6603 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:13:33 am »
Robbing bastard boots opticians

My glasses are very badly scratched and I'm due an eye test. So I go to Boots (I get a discount because my wife works for Boots). Eye test, all fine.

I have frames I'm perfectly happy with, fit fine - here is the robbing bit; They will charge extra to 'reglaze'. If I buy frames, then I just have to pay for the lenses. If I want lenses putting in my existing frames, there is a 'reglazing charge'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6604 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »

We were introduced to the 'guesstimate' when we started A Level Nuffield Physics a Very Long Time ago.

I was too young and impressionable to be annoyed. (Anyway the Physics master fancied me bigtime and that was MUCH more annoying than silly words!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6605 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »

We were introduced to the 'guesstimate' when we started A Level Nuffield Physics a Very Long Time ago.

Indeed.  I don't mind 'guestimate' if that's what it is - a mathematical estimation based on some critical figure you've pulled out of thin air.

If it's based on real data it's an estimate.  If you've just made the answer up, it's a guess.  I'm sure the majority of offenders mean the latter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6606 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:23:26 pm »
I remember estimating the volume of water that might fall on Greater London in a downpour.
Actually, that's a pretty well-defined estimate, isn't it?

« Reply #6607 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

My glasses are very badly scratched and I'm due an eye test. So I go to Boots (I get a discount because my wife works for Boots). Eye test, all fine.

I have frames I'm perfectly happy with, fit fine - here is the robbing bit; They will charge extra to 'reglaze'. If I buy frames, then I just have to pay for the lenses. If I want lenses putting in my existing frames, there is a 'reglazing charge'.

Same with Specsavers - and the charge was high enough that it would be cheaper to buy new...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6608 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »
I remember estimating the volume of water that might fall on Greater London in a downpour.

I could guestimate it by taking the radius of Greater London to be 20km, based on the time taken to cycle to Waltham Abbey from Stratford.  Say a couple of mm of rain in a decent downpour.  Pi, that's about ten...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6609 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:43:22 pm »

I could guestimate it by taking the radius of Greater London to be 20km, based on the time taken to cycle to Waltham Abbey from Stratford.  Say a couple of mm of rain in a decent downpour.  Pi, that's about ten...

My guesstimate would have been 50 * 50km 'square and 1mm rain. Gesstimates within 1 order of magnitude FTW so we'd probably both 'score'.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6610 on: 20 July, 2015, 05:05:22 pm »
Zombie iPod?

Kind of.  When docked it works perfectly.  Un-docked it melts down and goes blank.

And my feet really hurt.
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6611 on: 21 July, 2015, 12:28:28 am »

Same with Specsavers - and the charge was high enough that it would be cheaper to buy new...

No danger of that here! If I don't buy some new specs before we go to France 'erself may well end up driving*. 3 years of accumulated dust, oil vapours and corrosive perspiration and the powder coat on my Safilos has bubbled worse than a Ribble Winter frame that's been out in, er, Winter . . .

*Kinnell. I'm only a bloody genius!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6612 on: 21 July, 2015, 12:34:59 am »
IRTA 'Saniflos'.  I may need some reglazing too...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6613 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:08:19 pm »
Finally got my mates at work to go out on a group ride this evening, so of course now I'm coming down with a bug so will probably have to bail :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #6614 on: 23 July, 2015, 09:32:29 am »
I found my old Commodore 64, with its tape player and joystick. There's only one programme tape in the box - the original Star Wars arcade game.

If my mate keeps his promise to drop off his old telly on Saturday I'm going to get sod-all done this weekend.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

fuzzy

« Reply #6615 on: 23 July, 2015, 11:28:40 am »
I found my old Commodore 64, with its tape player and joystick. There's only one programme tape in the box - the original Star Wars arcade game.

If my mate keeps his promise to drop off his old telly on Saturday I'm going to get sod-all done this weekend.

The one with the 'frikkin lazer' emplacements at the top of towers and the flying through the trench to torpedo the outlet arcade game?

Was one of the levels dogfighting TIE fighters? I can't remember but spent many a happy hour (and lots of hard earned dosh) playing that game in the 'Ethnic Cafe' at the barracks in Northern Ireland when I was on QRF/ ARF duties and waiting for a crash out call :thumbsup:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #6616 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »
That's the one. With the monotonously repetitive opening bars of the Star Wars theme playing constantly, driving you up the wall as you blast the TIE fighters, whooooosh down the trench shooting the towers, and line up to launch your torpedoes.

Its well cool :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

fuzzy

« Reply #6617 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:49:21 pm »
It was almost (though not quite) as much fun standing back and watching others play at the stand up consol.

To see squaddies in full webbing standing at the game, death grip on the control yoke, leaning left and right, up on tiptoes as they descend, crouching as they climb- a sight to behold ;D

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #6618 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:27:33 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

But I'll still get sod-all done this weekend :D

fuzzy

« Reply #6619 on: 23 July, 2015, 03:31:18 pm »
Yebbut, at least it will be a totally understandable 'waste' of a weekend.........

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6620 on: 25 July, 2015, 12:18:12 pm »
Well I think that I have figured out why the NHS "choose and book" is a bit well how to say it ... fecked up?

Got my referral letter today, under two weeks after I say my GP who wanted to refer me, a new record me thinks. Though, when I logged in and saw the list of hospitals I was told between the four of them. That I had between unknown time, 9 days, 35 days and 65 days waiting to do. So I picked the 9 days waiting time and was told that I can get an appointment on the 4th Sept! What the heck happened to August? Don't the NHS count summer holiday time?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6621 on: 25 July, 2015, 01:46:17 pm »
Bloody TdF.  Watching the climb up the Croix de Fer, I drank my after-lunch double shot of Kibingo without noticing.  Judging from the aftertaste it was excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6622 on: 26 July, 2015, 10:52:42 am »
I'd really like to find a holidays web site that doesn't have a picture of a very blue swimming pool as the main picture for every place. One pool looks much like another, and if I must get wet I'd much rather be in the sea.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6623 on: 26 July, 2015, 09:03:07 pm »
A dead pigeon the size of an eagle on my doorstep when I got in tonight.

WTF?!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6624 on: 26 July, 2015, 10:02:30 pm »
Pressie from pussy cat, probably.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain