Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625962 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10825 on: 22 February, 2019, 02:09:24 pm »
"Meetings, the meaningful alternative to work"  ::-)

where I work, people have well-paid careers going to meetings
I am well paid. I attend many, many meetings.

Unfortunately, I am also expected to do much work in addition to attending the meetings.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10826 on: 23 February, 2019, 07:36:05 am »
"Meetings, the meaningful alternative to work"  ::-)

where I work, people have well-paid careers going to meetings
I am well paid. I attend many, many meetings.

Unfortunately, I am also expected to do much work in addition to attending the meetings.
I wish the same could be said of our, "I go to meetings" cadre.  Many of them are very pleasant people, but I'm damned if I can work out what they contribute to the organisation.  It occurs to me that it must be really quite depressing to be doing a job like that.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10827 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:39:52 am »
The AA have just sent me key insurance policy schedules for myself, Mrs Tween and Miss Somebody residing half a country away.  GDPR anyone?

Included in the envelope are 3 key fobs each with a unique identification number on them.  Now which is mine, which should Mrs Tween use and which would it be a very poor idea indeed to attach to our key sets?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10828 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:44:01 pm »
Watching Endevour on the idiot box and for the second week in a row they have identified a caller after the event by the use of call records. In 1969 this was not a thing.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10829 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:45:39 pm »
Watching Endevour on the idiot box and for the second week in a row they have identified a caller after the event by the use of call records. In 1969 this was not a thing.  >:(

It's okay, there's more than enough "keep them on the line so we can trace the call" rubbish in modern drama to make up for it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10830 on: 24 February, 2019, 10:00:44 pm »

It's okay, there's more than enough "keep them on the line so we can trace the call" rubbish in modern drama to make up for it.
Having done call ‘traces’ for "keep them on the line" situations1 that gets me grumbly as well. I actually have no idea how it’s actually done these days, but i suspect it’s not a lot different from Sys X and involves a person at a terminal.

1. It could get quite stressful doing s 999 grade when you had to decipher grading charts in a hurry. Repeat malicious calls were easier because you could plug in _things_ to hold the circuits up.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10831 on: 24 February, 2019, 10:16:08 pm »
But they didn't trace it, it was a call for a line check?

Surely you know which number that was?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10832 on: 24 February, 2019, 10:39:23 pm »
But they didn't trace it, it was a call for a line check?

Surely you know which number that was?
Yes, they said that later, but the initial inference was that they’d got ‘call records’’. That’s certainly what was intimated last week.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10833 on: 25 February, 2019, 01:32:40 pm »

Nor were Series III Lard-Rovers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #10834 on: 25 February, 2019, 02:20:08 pm »
Woken up at 6am this morning by a cat vomiting on CBH everything was in place for me to go swimming when the pool opened at 7am. This would allow me to do the required 500 to 800m and get home in time for breakfast and work.

But no, I decided I would rather sit and read the paper for a bit before starting work at 8am. Afterall, there is an adults only session at lunchtime I could attend. So, that's what I did....

The grumble, it wasn't an adults only session but a public one. It seems that some of the local schools were off today despite half term being last week meaning the pools was full of brats children getting in the way and having a good time!

Bah! Having a good time in a swimming pool. That's not what pools are for!  :hand: :facepalm:

ElyDave

« Reply #10835 on: 25 February, 2019, 03:12:24 pm »

Was it a 3 or a 2?  I thought it had headlamps in the grill and sidelamps on the wings making it a 2?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10836 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:09:10 pm »

I find it hard to be irked by this sort of thing these days. I notice it and think, "Oh that's a bit off. Never mind it'll do as set dressing, carry on with the story."  Having said that, the thing that's making my antennae twitch in the current run is the paucity of suffix alpha registrations on the vehicles being used, especially on the police vehicles.  ICBA to goggle it but I have it in mind that "A" registrations appeared in '62 (might be '61) and while everyone else would be driving around in clapped out pre '62 bangers, the Family Lurker had a string of them until well into the 1970s, I'd sort of expect the police to be driving around in fairly new stuff.  S'not important enough to spill any green ink over though.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10837 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:03:20 pm »

I saw an early Bronze Green series 2a (headlights in the grill) but not a series 3. But then, the mobile library in the first episode of this series was L (1970) registered although Neil was taking his small step for man on the TV.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10838 on: 26 February, 2019, 03:33:43 am »
I thought the vet's L-R was a SIII as the grille was the one shaped a bit like an Alfa's, not the inverted-T of earlier ones.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10839 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:10:20 pm »
Word! Why does it keep changing the language of my document from UK English to US English? I know why sort of, it's because it doesn't recognise words like "unutilised" as existing in UK English so automatically changes them to US English "unutilized". Wrong! "Unutilised" might not be a pretty word, but it's certainly a word.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10840 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:13:58 pm »
What's wrong with 'unused'?  ;) ;D

ElyDave

« Reply #10841 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:28:29 pm »
Word! Why does it keep changing the language of my document from UK English to US English? I know why sort of, it's because it doesn't recognise words like "unutilised" as existing in UK English so automatically changes them to US English "unutilized". Wrong! "Unutilised" might not be a pretty word, but it's certainly a word.

This is worth far more than just a grumble.

I once had a colleague correct EVERY English spellung in a report of my to that other version. Probably a good job I didn't need to use queue anywhere

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10842 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:46:06 pm »
I once had a colleague correct EVERY English spellung in a report of my to that other version.

That's slightly less bad than only changing some of them...

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #10843 on: 28 February, 2019, 08:50:43 am »
Delete the US 'English' (oxymoron?) dictionary. Needs to be a UK English dictionary installed before this will work.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10844 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:07:55 am »
I have just dropped yet another cafetiere.  Luckily we have three two singles and one large one, but this is becoming worryingly common.  It is now me 2; Mrs B 1. 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

« Reply #10845 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:16:54 am »
I once had a colleague correct EVERY English spellung in a report of my to that other version.

No, it's FUCKING annoying, why employ me to write reports amongst other things if all you are going to do is correct my vernacular for Leftpondian.  Have you nothing else better to do?  Do you think English people are inherently unable to write in their mother tongue?

See, I told you it was supposed to be in the RANT thread

The guy doing the correction BTW is Iranian, nice chap otherwise

fuzzy

« Reply #10846 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:24:32 am »

No, it's FUCKING annoying, why employ me to write reports amongst other things if all you are going to do is correct my vernacular for Leftpondian.  Have you nothing else better to do?  Do you think English people are inherently unable to write in their mother tongue?

See, I told you it was supposed to be in the RANT thread

The guy doing the correction BTW is Iranian, nice chap otherwise

I'd have thought the last thing he would want to do would be Americanise shit.....

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10847 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:28:37 am »
What's wrong with 'unused'?  ;) ;D
Nothing, but the choice wasn't mine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10848 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:29:43 am »
Delete the US 'English' (oxymoron?) dictionary. Needs to be a UK English dictionary installed before this will work.
Both are installed, both are needed (and both can be annoying).

essexian

« Reply #10849 on: 28 February, 2019, 11:55:12 am »
This week has been nothing but noise out here in my shed, what with two of my neighbours having Tree Men around with their chainsaws. Now.... one of my neighbour is having their roof pressure washed!

I mean...roof...pressure washed.....why????

If you want quiet, don't live/work a a retirement neighbourhood!