Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625608 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15500 on: 29 November, 2022, 05:32:57 pm »
Or you could buy a switch that is comparable with your brand of smart bulb and stick it to the wall by the door. Yes, it will need its batteries changing from time to time, but it’s a lot less hassle than what seems to be going on.
I was thinking that Ikea have such bulbs and 'shortcut buttons', I think they call them.
(Guess you need 2 shortcut buttons, one at each side of the room with the switch always on.)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #15501 on: 29 November, 2022, 09:20:27 pm »
Surprisingly, considering the electrics we found when we discovered The Asbestos Palace deep in the Surrey jungles (cue an electrician looking at various wires and uttering 'dunno what they were trying to do here'), the light switches were generally already in sensible places. The only vaguely annoying one is the garden lights which are at the wrong end of the kitchen and not by the back door (which is actually in the extended bit of the kitchen so I presume the outdoor circuit predated that expansion). Not sure why we didn't have it moved, the rewiring of the kitchen took much brow furrowing as it seemed they wired the extension via the light fittings, which considering that's where the oven and dishwasher etc. are, was apparently sub-optimal).

Not that we use the ceiling lights very often, we're umbral lamp people, and they're run by smart switches.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15502 on: 29 November, 2022, 11:34:13 pm »
Or you could buy a switch that is comparable with your brand of smart bulb and stick it to the wall by the door. Yes, it will need its batteries changing from time to time, but it’s a lot less hassle than what seems to be going on.

Even better, if access permits, install a Shelly 1 at the 'rose'.

I did this on a whim when they replaced our bathroom light with a nice big LED one, and it's proved invaluable for not-having-to-touch-the-lightswitch-when-emptying-buckets-of-poo.  Also, barakta (who is a reading-in-the-bath person) can frob it from the old phone she uses for the purpose.

« Reply #15503 on: 30 November, 2022, 12:09:38 pm »
I'm taking the morning ferry off the island tomorrow.

The car has decided to break down today. Flat battery.

I knew it was getting a little run down, but assumed that was due to short journeys in winter (lights on, windscreen wipers).

Sunday - sluggish to start.
Today - started, let MrsC drive it for 20min, then wouldn't start again.

My concern is that there might be a power leak or charging problem.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15504 on: 30 November, 2022, 12:47:44 pm »
20min on island roads (so presumably not v fast) long enough to charge it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15505 on: 30 November, 2022, 01:54:37 pm »
Seems not if lights and wipers are used.

The DRL failed a week ago, so I'm a bit concerned that there is an electrical fault.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15506 on: 30 November, 2022, 02:16:30 pm »

Even better, if access permits, install a Shelly 1 at the 'rose'.

I did this on a whim when they replaced our bathroom light with a nice big LED one, and it's proved invaluable for not-having-to-touch-the-lightswitch-when-emptying-buckets-of-poo.  Also, barakta (who is a reading-in-the-bath person) can frob it from the old phone she uses for the purpose.
I have no idea what either of these things are, but they sound interesting, especially the smart switch. I shall google. Thank you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15507 on: 30 November, 2022, 05:06:43 pm »
The Shelly 1 is a small device with a WiFi-capable microcontroller and a relay, wrapped up in a neat little box with appropriate gubbins to wire directly to the mains.  Typical use case is that you bury it in a junction box or light fitting, and wire it up in such a way that it controls the power to the light.  So far, so smartbulb.  The clever bit is that you connect the existing switch wire to the Shelly's input terminal, so it knows what the switch is doing, but the Shelly stays powered up at all times.

You can then program it to do whatever clever stuff you might reasonably program it to do.  Typically, if you frob the light on or off with your phone or a timer program or whatever, changing the state of the lightswitch will frob it the other way (ie. it behaves as if the switch is now part of a double-switch circuit with the smartness, which is intuitive even for people who don't know it's there).

They have a whole range of similar devices (more advanced ones have multiple outputs or inputs, energy meters, and so on), and are one of the few internet-of-things products I really rate.  Not least because they don't lock you into using their own web service to communicate with them.  Indeed, they're designed in such a way that it's reasonably easy to write your own firmware for them if you want to.  (I have a Shelly Plus 1 hidden behind the landlord's crappy timer that I've written my own firmware for operating as a smart thermostat.)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15508 on: 30 November, 2022, 07:29:07 pm »
Dental appointments for me and my wife tomorrow . . .  receptionist rings to confirm/remind etc - OK - but then says that the dentist (owner of the business) and hygienist we have been going to for 30 years (and my wife for probably 7 or 8 years more than that) have departed - the dentist retired (at 71 - getting a bit long in the tooth  ;D ;D ;D) and the hygienist has left - and that we would be seeing xx dentist and yy hygienist.

Apparently we were not informed of the retirement for "legal reasons" - I can only assume he's flogged the business and the contract stipulated that he couldn't inform the client base as they might vote with their feet? - i.e. the new owner gets the clients by default.   OK, I can understand that if the dentist was moving but carrying on as there would be a risk of taking clients with him (although they would probably move when they found out)

Somewhat pissed off at the short notice (26 hours) . . . we have voted with our feet - partly on principle and partly the distance we travel having moved from the dentist's area about 25 years ago We always said when he retired we'd find a dentist locally . . . .  but expected to have some notice to do that.

Our records have been requested.

ian

« Reply #15509 on: 30 November, 2022, 07:37:29 pm »
As I'm on holiday this week (well, not really, a pile of vacation days that aren't going to take themselves, I think I'm working for about eight days in total in December) I did promise to do an hour or so's work for a meeting next Monday. That's not really the grumble, I figure I can do it now with a beer in hand, the grumble is that between last Friday and now, I've forgotten what I committed to do.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15510 on: 30 November, 2022, 07:56:57 pm »
The tooth terrorist who numbers Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) among his flock is so popular that he actually started a rumour that he'd emigrated to Australia to keep the number of patients manageable.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15511 on: 01 December, 2022, 12:57:25 pm »
As I'm on holiday this week (well, not really, a pile of vacation days that aren't going to take themselves, I think I'm working for about eight days in total in December) I did promise to do an hour or so's work for a meeting next Monday. That's not really the grumble, I figure I can do it now with a beer in hand, the grumble is that between last Friday and now, I've forgotten what I committed to do.
You've beaten me - I'm working 9.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15512 on: 01 December, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »
I’ve heard of this work, I beleive, but I seem to have forgotten many of its foibles.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #15513 on: 01 December, 2022, 10:16:36 pm »
If I took the nuclear option I'd only be working another day and a half.  :facepalm: But I'm willing to negotiate.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #15514 on: 05 December, 2022, 04:51:01 pm »
I was due to have my last day in the office on Dec 16th but, thanks to a combination of using up leave as a long weekend next weekend, and train strikes, my last day in the office is on Dec 8th, and I'm not back until January 9th \0/

« Reply #15515 on: 05 December, 2022, 06:02:07 pm »
Seems not if lights and wipers are used.

The DRL failed a week ago, so I'm a bit concerned that there is an electrical fault.
20 mins should be enough to charge the battery, but it should be a longer time to be sure.

First assumption would be long-term degradation of the battery from being discharged too much or left discharged.

If you can get hold of a voltmeter, the voltage should be at least 13.5 V when the engine is started. Measure it soon after starting in case the car has some clever charging.

It is difficult to work out if the battery is being discharged when the car isn't in use or if the battery is discharging itself or has lost capacity. Measuring the current when the car shuts down is quite difficult. It is often easiest to replace the battery first and you don't get many hours from a competent mechanic for the cost of new battery.

I would guess that the DRL failure is conincidental.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15516 on: 05 December, 2022, 06:32:27 pm »
Just when did motor scooters become mopeds in common parlance? Mopeds have pedals, the clue’s in the name you numpties!  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15517 on: 05 December, 2022, 06:36:38 pm »
We've moved premises at work.
This morning it took 4 train journeys to get me into work, and a further 3 to get me home.
I was at my desk at 06:45, which is a little earlier than I'd like it to be.
I can confirm that the advertised London Overground 05:32 service from Forest Hill to Highbury & Islington does not exist.

« Reply #15518 on: 05 December, 2022, 07:36:49 pm »
Just when did motor scooters become mopeds in common parlance? Mopeds have pedals, the clue’s in the name you numpties!  >:(

A very, very long time ago. Decades.

The name gives a clue as to its etymology, not its meaning.

« Reply #15519 on: 05 December, 2022, 09:11:35 pm »

An example.

Some EVs have a message broadcast on the CANbus describing the power unit state, which has a value of "crank", after the start button is pressed, before it goes into a state where a "gear" can be selected.
That has come from using an electric motor to start an IC engine, in an action called "cranking".
That action is named after the shape of the starting handle used when electric starter motors weren't fitted or weren't considered sufficiently reliable, so it comes from the same source as bicycle pedal cranks.

The software state in an EV has absolutely nothing to do with a crank.

The "gear" that is selected has a similar convoluted etymology.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #15520 on: 05 December, 2022, 09:19:33 pm »

Not all motor scooters are mopeds. And not all mopeds are motor scooters.

« Reply #15521 on: 05 December, 2022, 09:26:35 pm »
Mopeds have a quasi-legal definition at https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories#:~:text=Category%20P,by%20an%20internal%20combustion%20engine.

I think you mean a Cat P motorcycle

Category P
You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph).
Its engine size must not be more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.

My 28mph electric motorcycle goes back to the dealer tomorrow.
28mph is not a sensible maximum speed, even on urban roads.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15522 on: 05 December, 2022, 10:09:02 pm »
In my defence, I, and to be fair, I suspect a large number of the forum contributors, grew up in the heyday of the moped as a legal entity, whereby 16yo could only ride 50 cc mopeds and to qualify for the status, they had to have pedals that could also propel them. The current legal status is obviously a watered down version of that previous legal status.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15523 on: 05 December, 2022, 10:18:40 pm »
The modern equivalent (in a not-really sort of way) are the e-bikes styled as full-on motorcycles, but with pedals and a 15mph speed limit.

Unrelated, I was passed by a proper electric motorbike doing about 35-40mph earlier.  It sounded like something imperial stormtroopers would use to dodge ewoks at speed through the forests of Endor on.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #15524 on: 05 December, 2022, 10:26:44 pm »
In my defence, I, and to be fair, I suspect a large number of the forum contributors, grew up in the heyday of the moped as a legal entity, whereby 16yo could only ride 50 cc mopeds and to qualify for the status, they had to have pedals that could also propel them. The current legal status is obviously a watered down version of that previous legal status.
Mopeds haven't required pedals since 1977. Though still limited to 50cc (or electric equivalent), and a max design speed of 28mph.